Thread: Willow Kings (or not)

Default Willow Kings (or not)

I was at the mouth of Willow last night and alas, not a bump, take or fish seen. Beautiful night though. The cleaning station had some king size scales on it, but that was the only evidence there. Nobody but me and a bud fishing, another bad sign that there's no fish.

For what it's worth. I think that the netters in Cook Inlet have them all...

I floated it yesterday from the hwy to the mouth and never saw a king. Caught some nice trout though (or my wife did, I was on the oars most of the time). Hopefully the Kings will come in soon. I hate to say it, but we found Pike in one of the sloughs the other day. Not good.

Default pike

Wow----one pike or more? Catch and kill those suckers or Willow is in trouble.

Default tell us more!

Yes, one pike or more? which slough? pm me i'll start doing what i can

We saw one large pike and about a half dozen smaller pike. The water level was high after all the rain. When I went back, the river had gone down and I wasn't able to locate the pike in that slough. I did take my GPS and here are the coordinates:
    N61 46.515 W150 07.239
    We did notify ADFG. There is a large back eddy pool there where another creek enters the Willow. The pike were in the creek right where it enters the Willow. It's a slow moving creek that is about 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep. If you go to these coordinates on your float you won't miss it.

So the fact that the kings didn't spawn 5 years ago (because of the 70 water in august) will have some effect on this years king run I'm sure... I wouldn't bother anywhere that doesn't have enhancement or a glacier... Willow might be slightly better than others cause it does.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Bunch of B.S..... Seriously....

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    So the fact that the kings didn't spawn 5 years ago (because of the 70 water in august) will have some effect on this years king run I'm sure... I wouldn't bother anywhere that doesn't have enhancement or a glacier... Willow might be slightly better than others cause it does.
    Is this your sole excuse for just that age class or all the age class's?? If that was the case then wouldn't there be a predominace of younger age class's....How about all the early king runs in the state of AK... Even the glacial systems are failing....

The only factor that can contribute to such widespread failure of king runs not only in the state of Alaska, but in the Northwest is very poor ocean survival over a period of years affecting multiple age class's of kings....

Likely that these conditions have already improved, but will take several years before we see an improvement in in river numbers.

Tynmon, that failure was felt acrossed the west coast not just alaska...I'd love to hear the reasoning as to why. I agree with what you are saying, would love fish and game, state or federal agency to come forth with some kind of explination for it. Not only was our king run bad in southeast last summer..spotty to say the least, but the coho run came extremely late. I'm eager to finally fish interior and south central waters again. Even with bleak reports..though as disheartening as it is.