Thread: Looking For Ride Suggestions

Default Looking For Ride Suggestions

The Wife and I have ditched the kids for a couple of weeks and have one free weekend. The Wife wants to camp and ATV. Looking for suggestions. I was thinking Eureka as I've never been there, but want a decent place to park the Travel Trailer without a whole lot of drama around us. Done Kings a few times looking for a change.

For quiet camping, Eureka would be good, as would Petersville Rd. If you can make it a 3 day weekend, there are a bunch of trails around the midpoint of the Denali Hwy.

I think I'm leaning the Eureka way. Thanks for the response.

We are headed to Eureka with the rv this coming weekend, leaving Friday afternoon and coming back on Sunday. We enjoy riding up there and take along a couple of small fly rods to catch grayling. Plan on parking in one of the gravel pits on the right side.

Thanks I'll stick one in the Trailer. If you see a Blue Dodge towing a Trail Cruiser (bed slides out the back) and a Green Outlander Max in back stop and say Hello. Look forward to checking a new area out. Any tips on where to go once I get there?

We like to ride the trail down to the Little Nel, then across to Tyone and Red Fox creeks to fish for grayling. Lots of trails out that way so bring some extra gas along.

Default Little Tyone

When you get to the Tyone, if you dont mind the water too much, there is a jeep trail that threads itself downstream in and out of the creek, approx 7-8 miles. We generally go all the way down and let the water settle out and fish our way back out. Great grayling in there!

Is this the same creek that if you follow the trail will take you to an old mining camp?

I have a question I have been to the lil nelchina and to be quite frank I am scared to death to cross it. It has always been high and raging when I have been there. Where are you crossing at?? I have not been down monument in the summer because I am usaully with some that lets say are afraid of it. Is it better at the bottome there then at old man??

I have always crossed at the bottom of Monument and there has never been a time when it was to high for me to cross. Maybe your going earlier or later in the year than I am. You can also go around Monument instead of going down it, there is a trail on the right that gradually goes down to the Little Nel, when you get to the bottom you can turn left and go up to the crossing.
    I remember my first time crossing the Little Nel with the wife, the water was so low you could walk across in a pair of calf high rubber boots. You can also work your way upstream and find shallower places to cross as well.

Where can I get a map of the area? The Lodge still carry them, or is there someplace local? Fabbed a skid plate and I am ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I have always crossed at the bottom of Monument and there has never been a time when it was to high for me to cross. Maybe your going earlier or later in the year than I am. You can also go around Monument instead of going down it, there is a trail on the right that gradually goes down to the Little Nel, when you get to the bottom you can turn left and go up to the crossing.
    I remember my first time crossing the Little Nel with the wife, the water was so low you could walk across in a pair of calf high rubber boots. You can also work your way upstream and find shallower places to cross as well.
    I have been back there alot via snowmachine but have never been down monument I think it is just where I have been to the river as it I could not see crossing it but it would make sense that I could get up river. I think we are going this weekend I may have to visit the crossing!! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    Where can I get a map of the area? The Lodge still carry them, or is there someplace local? Fabbed a skid plate and I am ready to go.
    The lodge should have them. you also could visit their website.

Looks like we are headed to Eureka tomorrow afternoon, will be in a 22 ft Chalet motorhome and pulling 2 Honda's on a Sledbed trailer. The plan is to park at one of the gravel pits on the right, preferably the bigger one. If anyone happens to be in the area swing by and say hey.

We called it a weekend around 3:00Pm Saturday. Ran into snow on Monument, the one creek crossing had a colapsed ice bridge that if you went around put you into muskeg. Made a mistake and took the Lodge loop back to the Lodge, lots and lots of deep mud/muskeg. Took a while to work our way back. Never stopped raining and sleeting. Went to Hatchers Sunday and had a great ride.