Thread: Avet MXL 5.8:1 or SX 5.3:1

Default Avet MXL 5.8:1 or SX 5.3:1

Thanks for your help thus far. I have narrowed it down to the MXL 5.8:1 vs. the SX 5.3:1. I want light and small but the MXL is only 4 ounces bigger, faster gear, larger spool and only $20 more. My other set-up is a Shimano Tekota 700 so I have the larger range covered...

Any last thoughts before a pull the trigger on this?

Thanks again!

Not sure of the prices on the two that you've mentioned, but I have a little time on my AVET MXL6/4 two-speed and it's been great. Especially when hauling in the big ones. 2-speed reels are not a "must have", but like any good tool it's a pleasure to work with.

Ditto on skydiver's post - I have 2 of the Avet 2 speeds and couldn't be happier with them.

Don't think I can drop the extra cash on the 2-speed....I've got a line on a new AVET SX for $180 and will likely fill it with Daiwa color coded braided 55lb test. Then I'll start shopping for the matching light rod.

Let me know if you have any last thoughts. Thanks again!

Nula Rider

I got an AVET HX 6/3 spooled with 80 pound colored braided line on an Okuma jigging rod that weighs nothing and I love it. It's half the weight of a Penn 330 with a Lamiglas Halibut rod. Picked up the rod at B&J's at Christmas time for 105.00 Here is a pic of my rod set up and my wife has the same rod but with an Electric Reel. Both reel light setups.
    Last edited by chico99645; 06-06-2009 at 09:14. Reason: For Got Picture

Forgot to Attach pictures of rods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile same drag....

I think they pull the same drag. So I guese it comes down to how much line capacity you want. I have a MXL 5.8 I am going to put on a King rod and 2 MXL 6/3's for light jig rods when bottom fishing. The one I like the best though is the MXJ 6/3. The narrow version of the MX series. It will hold 300 yards of 50 lb. braid and the low gear will pull a pretty big fish in. I think they used to offer MX series in a 4.5 gear and I hope they do again. I am not sold on high speed gears for salt water bottom fishing in Alaska. For me that is anything geared over 4.5. I keep hearing about a SX level wind and I do want a SX. Hope my wife never counts all the reels!

Default Levelwind?

Ouch, I guess I wasn't even thinking levelwind. But I did go to levelwind on my Shimano Tekota 700 and said I'd never go back. I'm wondering now if I'll be dissappointed with my new Avet SX w/out it...?

Any thoughts on levelwind?

Default level winds...

I like level winds on my salmon rods. I can live with out them just fine on my salt water bottom fishing rods as sooner or later they break. I think a trained thumb is a good "level wind". Just don't spool as much line on a reel with out a level wind. Your SX will prove to be a nice reel. I want one!

If you are using this for halibut and lingcod, I think you'll find that over 4:1 on a single speed reel is way to much gear. I put some comments in the other thread as well regarding pro/s and con's of various reels.

Default TICA CAIMAN CJ 200R BAITCASTING REEL vs. AVET SX

I started thinkin how much I love my levelwind and found this reel. It's the same weight, 11 bearings, 5.2:1 (slightly lower gear), and holds a bit less line. Anyone using this for the AK bottom fish / jiggin / 150ft or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    If you are using this for halibut and lingcod, I think you'll find that over 4:1 on a single speed reel is way to much gear. I put some comments in the other thread as well regarding pro/s and con's of various reels.
    Paul, what about the Avet sx two speed 6/4? I know, no levelwind, but will it stand up in your opinion?

I personally like to crank down the drag and bring fish up to the boat. The SX simply does not have sufficient drag for that type of fishing. The advice I've seen is that your drag should be 1/3 of your line rating, so if you are running 65# line, you want 20+#'s of drag and the sx has 9# strike and maxes out at 14#'s.

To me it comes down to weather or not you want to fight halibut on salmon class of gear, or halibut class gear. There is gear that is the weight of salmon class gear but has halibut class strength. The sx isn't of the latter class.

To me the specs of such a reel is sub 20 oz weight, drag at strike of 15#, max drag of 25#. There are only a few that fit that bill. You either have to add weight or give up drag with the other reels. Top of the line would be the accurate boss 197. There are a couple of reels that are coming onto the market that would fit the bill, the Jigging Master PE-4, and perhaps the new Daiwa Saltist STTLD30-2SPD but I haven't seen the drag rating.

And if you want an affordable alternative, the shimano tld 15 can be had for a bit over $100, put in a carbontex drag washer for plenty of smooth drag in a 19 oz package. I've got another tld 15 coming as it just took me one trip to be convinced the light reels are where it's at.

There is nothing wrong with avet reels, but I'd say go with the HX for what you are looking to do.

Consider that precious few reels in existence are designed for spectra use. The ones that are are very new and very expensive (penn torque, accurate, etc.). This means strong guts and a smallish spool. There are a few older reels that are strong enough in frame, gears, anti-reverse, and drag to fish spectra effectively. By effectively, I mean being able to pull 1/4 to 1/3 the line strength in drag and not have stupid large capacity where you have to put on a bunch of mono under your 300-yard shot of spectra.

Some of these reels are truly a bit lowly, when you think about it. Some cheapies that are proven to be spectra worthy:
    1. Penn 320 GTI series - will pull 20# of drag and fish up to 65# spectra, relatively slow gearing for good crank power, ability to retrofit with a better handle, don't let the levelwind get out of time with the line on the spool. I fish one of these with a senator 4/0 handle on it, with 65# spectra.
    2. Shimano TLD Star - tougher guts, one of few that could pull enough drag (25# plus) to fish 80# spectra, higher gear ratio means less winching ability. Seriously tough guts, though.
    3. Shimano Charter Special - get the narrow one, holds 300 yards of 50# line, swap drag washer for greased carbontex and swap drag belleville washers for the ones from a TLD-15, and pull up to 15# of drag, don't let levelwind get out of time with line on spool. I have two of these that are set up for downrigger fishing with 20# mono, carbontex drag washers, and stock bellevilles. They're pretty slick.
    4. Daiwa SL-X20SHA - gearing is a bit fast, but small spool holds 300 yards of 50# and reel easily pulls enough drag for 50# line. Nice handle shape, too. I fish two of these and they're great.

Anyway, some ideas for penny pinchers who want lighweight halibut rigs.

Anyone know where I can buy 4 senator 4/0 handles in either ANC or Kenai/Soldotna area?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai In July View Post
    Anyone know where I can buy 4 senator 4/0 handles in either ANC or Kenai/Soldotna area?
    Or online?

You could try tackle repair in Anchorage, or

http://store.scottsbt.com/Penn-Parts-HOME-W7C1.aspx

or if you want to upgrade http://www.tiburonengineering.com/ht...r_handles.html

Thanks!!! Much appreciated!

Bob's Worried Fish out next to Big John's has a lot of repair parts. 262-0499
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member