Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plinking with a 300 WinMag

Default Plinking with a 300 WinMag

Ok, the title was intended to be humorous since not too many people will "plink" with a 300 magnum.

Actually, while waiting for my RCBS powder scale to arrive I'm working on a few loads for my rifles. Right now I'm looking at some for my Model 70 300 Winmag. My goal here is to find a load that will not destroy my somewhat arthritic shoulder if I fire 20 rounds through it. When I sighted it in initially I was firing 180 grain factory loads and I had a few scope problems so by the 15th round my shoulder was in agony and I know I had started flinching.

I want to make this rifle my "one size fits (almost) all weapon and one I can fire twenty times at the Birchwood range comfortably. However, I need a round that is powerful enough to take down a caribou at 400 yards. (my personal max range)

I know that using the lighter bullets I have to have a somewhat faster burning powder and I've been looking through a couple of manuals including the new Lyman reloading manual and here's what I've come up with.

Caliber - 300 WinMag
    Rifle - Winchester Model 70
    Bullet - Remington 150 grain PSP
    Powder - IMR 4350 72.0 gr (the grains might change as I test it)
    Est vel - 3090 fps
    Est Pressure - ????

Any comments, suggestions criticisms are welcome.

Default Shoulder

Bookseller, your anticipation about a sore shoulder struck a chord with me, just recovering from a rotator cuff operation. I haven't shot yet but I have a Caldwell lead sled that I used even before the operation. It certainly takes the bite out of my 300 mag. Just a suggestion. I really like my 300 and use it for almost all my hunting. Good luck on your 400 yarders, Mark

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Book, once upon a time i was selling my house. the folks showed up to look as i was hanging off the second level balcony shooting squirrels with my 300 Win Mag, i had lots of ammo and thought i was leaving state at the time so was blasting away. ....

hard to sell a house when you can not hear the gal ask you questions... or....was it the Boom BOOOM BOOOOOOOM over her head as she knocked on the door?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    ... Good luck on your 400 yarders, Mark
    Ya, I will only take one of those shots for a seriously big trophy and only if I cannot get closer.

Fenton eh? I'm originally from Flint and sometimes, while I'm there visiting family, I'll run down to Guns Galore to check out what's on hand. Haven't been there in over a year though. They still in business?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ...hard to sell a house when you can not hear the gal ask you questions... or....was it the Boom BOOOM BOOOOOOOM over her head as she knocked on the door?
    LOL, I'll vote for the BOOOM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    I want to make this rifle my "one size fits (almost) all weapon and one I can fire twenty times at the Birchwood range comfortably. However, I need a round that is powerful enough to take down a caribou at 400 yards. (my personal max range)

I know that using the lighter bullets I have to have a somewhat faster burning powder and I've been looking through a couple of manuals including the new Lyman reloading manual and here's what I've come up with.

Caliber - 300 WinMag
    Est vel - 3090 fps
    Est Pressure - ????

I would like to know your results, I too would like to "plink" more with my 300 mag as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
    I would like to know your results, I too would like to "plink" more with my 300 mag as well.
    I should have my new powder scale next week and I'll post something here once I get the loads worked up and tested. I'm still going to have to find the powder and primers though. Sigh.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I should have my new powder scale next week and I'll post something here once I get the loads worked up and tested. I'm still going to have to find the powder and primers though. Sigh.

i think that with out powder or primers, that a 2000 psi.500 gallon aircompressor turns them in to the 300 wind mag just fine
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i think that with out powder or primers, that a 2000 psi.500 gallon aircompressor turns them in to the 300 wind mag just fine
    LOL, Maybe I'll give that a try.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My approach to lessened recoil with any cartridge is to pick the lightest practical bullet, and use the low-end load.

If a 300 Mag. -- 180 grain bullet and a powder that gives lower velocities/lighter charges.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Ok, the title was intended to be humorous since not too many people will "plink" with a 300 magnum.

Actually, while waiting for my RCBS powder scale to arrive I'm working on a few loads for my rifles. Right now I'm looking at some for my Model 70 300 Winmag. My goal here is to find a load that will not destroy my somewhat arthritic shoulder if I fire 20 rounds through it. When I sighted it in initially I was firing 180 grain factory loads and I had a few scope problems so by the 15th round my shoulder was in agony and I know I had started flinching.

Caliber - 300 WinMag
    Est vel - 3090 fps
    Est Pressure - ????

You're really smart to be thinking this way. The average wannabe longrange shooter figures he's ready to take on the world at any range after running half a box of shells through his rifle at the bench rest. Consistent long shots in the field take a whole bunch of practice away from the bench, shooting often and lots, but not from the bench. The only way to do it is to cut the ammo costs.

We went "the other way" for my son-in-law's 300 Winnie. I found a buy on a bunch of good hunting bullets (Hornady 190-grain BT) and picked up 3,000 of them. For plinking (actually I prefer to call it practice, because we're a lot more systematic and thoughtful than what I call plinking) I load minimum charges of 4350 for around 2500 fps. His "hunting" load is a near-max charge of WMR, which is more or less comparable to RL-22. If I was to stick with one powder in his gun it would be the 4350, just cuzz I've got lots.

In your shoes I'd be more inclined to a heavier bullet for better downrange ballistics on bou and larger game, and I'd be looking for the best buy on a whole bunch of them. Ideally it would be a bullet that would do the job on everyhing from mice to moose such as the 190. You're more likely to find deals on the Remington 180, which is a darned good bullet in my experience for anything I'd shoot with a 300 Winnie.

I'd also zero in on one powder such as RL-22 or anything with a similar burn rate, then use the low end of the load chart for practice and the high end for hunting. You'll save a few pennies using the reduced charges, and using one powder puts you in a position to stock up any time you find supplies. Same goes for primers. In my experience I'd rather have primers, powder and bullets on the shelf than a few extra bucks in savings, so I keep my stores of reloading supplies pretty high, just in case things get short now and then, whether money in my pocket or supplies on dealer shelves.

Thank you Brown Bear. Some good advice there and a few things I hadn't thought of. Much appreciated.

Now, my scale has been shipped so I just need to find powder and primers for the 300, bullets, primers, cases and powder for my .44 mag pistol and I'm set.

I am ready to reload 100 rounds of 30-30 though.

Slightly different subject. Anybody know of a store that has .22 LR? I'm down to about 50 rounds. Boondocks is sold out and last I checked Chimos and SW in Wasilla are out.

i have been doing well on the powder up here. i will be down on the 16th (ish) what would you like...? if it comes in i can haul it by...frontier has been doing okay of late....but hand gun stuff. i have no idea what to get yet.

i am about ready for my second lesson from CZ... and need to see Murphy when my schedule is not in the way... maybe i can quit for a day and then hire my self back????

meet on face book here

I'm going to search around town tomorrow and see if anyone has powder but I think I'm going to go with IMR 4350. It just seems to be a good all around powder and one I can use if I ever do break down and buy a .270. Let me know if you can find any and I'll let you know if I find some also. I probably need only 1 lb to start with I guess.

I still haven't even begun to look at pistol powder. I hear ya about work. Summer is our busiest time at the store and I haven't even been fishing yet.

I'm going to search around town tomorrow and see if anyone has powder but I think I'm going to go with IMR 4350. It just seems to be a good all around powder and one I can use if I ever do break down and buy a .270. Let me know if you can find any and I'll let you know if I find some also. I probably need only 1 lb to start with I guess.

I still haven't even begun to look at pistol powder. I hear ya about work. Summer is our busiest time at the store and I haven't even been fishing yet.
    i have a lb of 7828... that is what CZ started me out with for my 300 win.... and can get more.. seems easy enough..can bring that down. ... and i dont mind buying... and bringing it...can also bring you a box of primers for it... i got some the other week... CCI 250..

let me know.

Vince

meet on face book here

i have a lb of 7828... that is what CZ started me out with for my 300 win.... and can get more.. seems easy enough..can bring that down. ... and i dont mind buying... and bringing it...can also bring you a box of primers for it... i got some the other week... CCI 250..

let me know.

Vince
    Sounds of Booksellers Lyman reloading manual coming out and pages being madly flipped to the correct page...

Vince,

I would be very thankful if you could bring by a pound of 7828 and I will of course have the cash waiting for you when you arrive. When do you think you might be passing through Eagle River?

I'm not sure about the CCI 250 primers though. I am by no means well versed in reloading...yet...but I've heard and read that magnum primers are not necessary in the 300 win mag as they can cause degraded accuracy and in some cases their use is highly discouraged. Especially with the lower grain bullets. My first load will be a hundred rounds of 150 grain bullets and I'm using the Lyman manual which is based on WLR primers so I think I'll need to find some of those instead.

Thoughts?

i think like me... your going to own several more manuels... i purchased the large rifle first and was told not to use them. the magnums are needed for temputure..( outside).. i have the speer, nosler, and Cz's Hornaday. all say the same thing. so mags are what i will be using.

be down the late/16th or EARLY/17th... one time of day or anther.. i get in from salt lake. late the 15th and have to be in Kenai the 17th. then home again...
    Vince,

I would be very thankful if you could bring by a pound of 7828 and I will of course have the cash waiting for you when you arrive. When do you think you might be passing through Eagle River?

I'm not sure about the CCI 250 primers though. I am by no means well versed in reloading...yet...but I've heard and read that magnum primers are not necessary in the 300 win mag as they can cause degraded accuracy and in some cases their use is highly discouraged. Especially with the lower grain bullets. My first load will be a hundred rounds of 150 grain bullets and I'm using the Lyman manual which is based on WLR primers so I think I'll need to find some of those instead.

Thoughts?

meet on face book here

Hey Bookseller.

Here's a bit of unsolicited advice for your "plinking."

To make the most fun of it while helping you keep tabs of each shot, try this. Take a sheet of cardboard to the range, along with a bag of baloons. Cut 5 holes in the cardboard roughly 3-4" in diameter. Blow up the baloons just big enough for a friction fit in the holes. Put one in each hole and use them for your practice in field positions. Start at a comfortable distance. Maybe 50 yards. Shoot offhand, one shot at each baloon. You'll know instantly if you were on, plus you'll leave bullet holes in the cardboard if you miss. Comparing the two will teach you more about field shooting than anything else I know of. You can easily keep track of what you did right and what you did wrong on each shot, rather than waiting till you've fired several and then checking the target.

Hit all 5 in five shots? Move the targets back 5 yards and try it again. With practice you'll be flat amazed how far off you start hitting things offhand. We make a game of it, and it's "self handicapping." We have a cardboard for each shooter, and pretty quick everyone gets their targets back to whichever range they hit 3 of 5, or 4 of 5, then kind of get stuck for awhile. It sure feels good to finally get to move your target back. You're likely to have one shooter with his targets at 60 yards, another at 90 and another at 120, but all of you are challenged and keep on shooting.

Do it from sitting and prone positions, too. But bring lots of ammo. Lots and lots of ammo! I won't tell you how far back we're able to hit those baloons offhand because you simply won't believe me. But it sure as heck puts fun into your "plinking" sessions while building skills that pay big bonus points on hunts.

be down the late/16th or EARLY/17th... one time of day or anther.. i get in from salt lake. late the 15th and have to be in Kenai the 17th. then home again...

PM coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast