Thread: Moose numbers...

Default Moose numbers...

& Flooding...do you think that there can be a viable study on how much death during flooding & ice out on moose? I ask this as just this break up, I saw my first live moose on the ice flow going out...poor thing heard all the girls squealing in delight when we saw the moose & looked our way, as if pleading for us to help him/her...There've been other sightings of dead/live moose on the ice flows, & makes me wonder, just how much of the break up can cause moose number fluctuations...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

moose swim fast, and walk on frozen water...........
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Moose can swim well

I seen a cow moose swim across the Tanana in a pretty good current and make it to the other side.

Default This was...

during ICE FLOW! not in water, but a river chock full of ice...

I am with you on that one gogo, that was a dead moose and from the sounds of our story it knew it too! It would have been ethical in my mind to put a bullet through it rather than leave it to get crushed or drown (likely both).

Honestly though in regard to your question I doubt that there are that many moose killed in that manner though I am sure it is not uncommon.

Probably alot died during breakup, we won't know much though until it is surveyed again. But hopefully most were smart enough to get to higher ground and stay put. I think they faired well down in my area though, haven't been out much though.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!