Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spear hunting

Default Spear hunting

Looking for information on spear hunting black bears

Default no one knows anything about it

and why you might ask, because the few fool hardy folks that did try can't speak about it anymore.....

Tradional spear hunting involved either spearing them in water as they swam , with a boat or kayak, and often harpooned, because they will sink.
    On land they were using dogs to distract them untill a killing poke was made. A few arrows were usually placed before the spearing was done.
    Blacks were run up trees and speared.
    Also, Blacks were speard when caught in a large snare.

Oldtimers had to hunt them to eat, and took away any fighting advantages the bear had, because to be mauled was to die, without hospitals, cliniks, anti-biotics or search and rescue helocopters and such.

Today, Rambo waits with his Bowie twined to a stick and hes there over his bait, right now , waiting to drop on his next Bear for a bit of the Hand to Paw brawling .....~~LOL!!!!!!~~.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

THere where a few people back in Michigan that spear hunted black bear, they usually used a very long spear and sat with the bait directly under their stand. Then when the bear was feeding they just stab straight down, not terribly difficult and fairly effective. There are a few hunting videos of it out there.

Another way it can be done is with atlatl and dart. it is done very much like bow hunting over bait but using the atlatl and dart instead of bow. I know a couple of guys who did it there were members of the michigan atlatl association. The atlatl is pretty easy to use and particularly effective when used with occupied bears. they are quiet but there is a fair amount of movement involved with throwing the dart so it works better if the bear has his head burried int he bait and not looking.

Wow! Are spears legal in Alaska?

Brett

Default Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Wow! Are spears legal in Alaska?

Brett
    Spears are legal to use for hunting in Alaska. It's not listed as prohibited in the "Methods & Means". Just make sure you have a good, established plan for success. Don't want to give primitive hunting a bad name, by not being fully prepared. Good luck to all.

Default Spear hunting

so easy, even a caveman can do it!

Sorry couldn't resist

Smile friend did it....

A friend of mine in Kenai did it over bait a few years ago. I have a video of it. He made a spear out of a leaf spring and a heavy shaft. The bear finally came beneath the tree to eat a doughnut and he stuck him thru the back to the ground. Ripped a big hole in him when he fought off of it. Ran a few yards and died. He has tried for griz but has not had any luck. Yup, he is nuts.

Know of one guy in the SE that did a spot and stalk with a spear.

Leon over at Northland furs was telling me about this guys. Sounds like it was pretty interesting. Lets see the vid..

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    A friend of mine in Kenai did it over bait a few years ago. I have a video of it. He made a spear out of a leaf spring and a heavy shaft. The bear finally came beneath the tree to eat a doughnut and he stuck him thru the back to the ground. Ripped a big hole in him when he fought off of it. Ran a few yards and died. He has tried for griz but has not had any luck. Yup, he is nuts.

I've seen video's on this, the spear was large, heavy, and yes, IMO the guy was nuts. The hunt was on a black bear bait stand as outlined below - the bear didn't go far and as I recall, the guy darn near came out of the stand.

Grizz... now that's twenty levels of crazy above and beyond black bears and IMO, a death wish. There is much more muscle and body mass on a brown which means much more room for error... all with the fact the bear is more dangerous.

If there is someone that does this, I'll gladly buy the video, unless of course it becomes 'take two' of the Timothy Treadwell series on Animal Planet.

Default something i have always wanted to do

check the method of take box marked "other"......on the sealing certificate/harvest report
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I think this is an interesting concept and would like to see more on it before I give it a try. I have seen the video on here of a guy actually throwing a spear and getting a black bear from a bait statio but think most people use the straight down jab from the stand.

I did run across this site while searching the net. Cape Buffalo not me!
    http://www.huntingwithspears.com/

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It was quite a few years ago, when I was reading all the Bear Books I could find in the library.

One of the books told how the Aleuts usta hunt Brown Bears in the old days with spears.

They would tease the bears, getting them to charge, then place the butt of the spear into the ground and let the bear run onto the pointy end.

IIRC, the author had actually seen some of the spears that had been made, and possibly even used for the purpose.

In more modern times, when they had guns of some kind they practiced what was called "Poke Shooting". They trimmed the bark off small saplings and tied them to their gun barrels. (Apparently, this was to make them more visible at night.)

They would wait beside a Bear Trail at night and when a bear came along they would all poke it and shoot, then wait until morning to recover the bear.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    check the method of take box marked "other"......on the sealing certificate/harvest report

Good one!

Suddenly my interest in baiting black bear just increased 10 fold!

Brett

Default You want it then you got it.

Alaska Natives both Inuit and Athabaskan used spears to take both black and grizzly bears. I have a traditional one that was made by Tommy Douglas of Ambler. He used one similar to this to kill a small grizzly in his youth. Tommy is more than 80 years old.
    It has a long bifacial blade that is made out of moose antler that is shaped like a bifacial blade. I have it at my dad's house. He has a display with a lot of my weird Alaskan stuff. I don't have space for it. I do bring it in for the kids to see. It is about eight foot long with a backing hook on the bottom.
    They used to hunt them in the winter with them. They would poke them in their dens and when the bear rushed out they would impale the bear and then set the hook on the bottom and let the bear drive the spear up to the plug that is about 15 inches from the tip of the spear.

The best bear spearing story was told to me by Gene Henry of Dot Lake who recently passed on to the high Sheep hunting ground of the hereafter.

Mentasta Sam was a tough old man who lived outside of Mentasta Lake. He had some bad pains with his teeth and people knew that even if he was old he was tough and used to walk miles in the deep cold.
    Sam was ridiculed by many in the village because he stuck to the old ways. He still hunted with a bow when many others shifted to muzzleloaders. Others had steel axes and knives but he still used stone points. His wife,I think her name was Edna, would hunt with him and was very faithful. The village was raided by a large sow grizzly and her full grown cubs in the early spring while there was snow.
    The other people in the town were enjoying winter carnival when Sam came in and asked for help. Even his son didn't want to come out and take care of the problem bears. Sam's son had disturbed the bears and they had followed him back to the village. Sam held to the old ways that you were responsible for the bad luck that you incurred.
    The old man took his old bear spear and his wife and headed across the lake. Most people, his son included, thought that A) he would come back; b) he would come back. They didn't expect him to go after them. He was older in his late eighties and was from before the time of guns even muzzleloaders that came from the Hudson Bay Company in the 1850s. He had a bow and his tomahawk(killing club). He asked the other people in the village for help. They had muzzleloaders but they refused. Sam was unperturbed.

He ran into one of the full grown cubs first out on the frozen lake. He set his spear and the cub (Which was a two year old grizzly) charged. Sam killed the first one. The entire village could see Sam killing the first bear. He plunged the spear in the area of the chest and the bear died.
    The second bear started coming soon after the first one died. Rather than running away from the bear, Sam went right toward the bear. He impaled the second bear but he didn't set the hook right in the ice and his spear which was aged and dry snapped off in the bear. He hit the bear with his club. Every one was expecting the worse. Even Sam's Son who was watching shame faced with the rest of the village thought that Sam's end was come.

Sam turned to face the last Sow. She was a big bear and she was covered with the ice that ice-out bears wear like armor. She had seen her cubs killed and wanted to end this pitiful creature. Sam shot the bear with an arrow as it started its final charge at Sam. Sam faced the bear like he had faced everything in his life. He wasn't going to budge to stop and life right up to the end.
    Right before the big bear reached Sam The bear violently stopped. She made a mad roar as she stood stuck in place. Everbody was expecting Sam to die violently. Sam's wife had taken a spear and unnoticed by the other people in the tribe had set the spear and impaled the bear. She held the bear until Sam had finished the bear off with his caribou tomahawk killing club and the broken end of his old spear.
    After that every body knew that Mentasta Sam was a tough old man and that nobody would every bother him or make fun of him...at least while his wife was around.

Default you write very well

I mean it, you should write a book, that was good stuff.

Great story Kaboku! Thanks for sharing it. I had an encounter with a couple native women (flat tire which I changed for them) on my way bear hunting the other day. They explained to me that in their tribe the women arent even allowed to eat black bears , only the men. I always find the native cultural ways soo interesting, especially the stories of how they handled things pre advanced tools and weaponry.

Default me too

My Brother in Law's girlfriend told me that in her culture, it's considered bad luck for a woman to eat bear meat, and that she is then blamed for anything negative that happens to the village.

But on the other hand she loves moose tongue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast