Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Brown Bear

Default First Brown Bear

Well a buddy and I took a few days to go bear hunting and we got pretty lucky. We had been hunting black bears for an evening or two without so much as a sighting so we decided on the 3rd night we'd go for a drive and stop every now and then and be real quiet and see if something would come out. Well about midnight we're pulled over in the middle of nowhere just sitting there when we hear CRASH!

"Did you hear that?"

"Ya I heard it"

CRASH SNAP SNAP CRASH

"Hmm, must be a moose"

So we grab our guns and go over to this pulled up stump and sit there and listen to this crashing and snapping noise. About 170 yards away I see a big black object dart through a clearing, and I see it's a bear, and boy he is just mowing through the brush, I mean it sounded like a D-6 Cat coming through the brush. He pops out at about 70 yards and sits there and starts sniffing the air, just huffing and puffing to beat hell. We're sitting there in total awe, watching this bear get closer and it was almost scary how fast he was moving. He covered that 170 yards in about 10 seconds, and no he wasn't running. So he gets to 50 yards and stops, I tell my buddy

"ok here we go...

BOOM!

Bear whips around real quick, but his body isn't working right because of that first shot, adrenaline kicks in and there he goes! BOOM! I shoot again, my buddy shoots and then on put in my final 3rd shot and thump! Bear down! We go nuts, high 5's, hugs oh man are we jazzed! So we finally pull ourselves together and realize we gotta go in and make sure he's dead so 30 min later we start creeping off in the direction he ran, and 50 yards later there he is, dead as hell. We shot him with two .30-06's and 150 grain Barnes X bullets. So we start skinning and at 6:30 am we pull into the cabin and crash! Hide squared 8'5". Have lots of pics and will post very soon. Totally awesome experience!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thumbs up

Awesome man! Congrats. Hurry up with those pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Well a buddy and I took a few days to go bear hunting and we got pretty lucky. We had been hunting black bears for an evening or two without so much as a sighting so we decided on the 3rd night we'd go for a drive and stop every now and then and be real quiet and see if something would come out. Well about midnight we're pulled over in the middle of nowhere just sitting there when we hear CRASH!

"Did you hear that?"

"Ya I heard it"

CRASH SNAP SNAP CRASH

"Hmm, must be a moose"

So we grab our guns and go over to this pulled up stump and sit there and listen to this crashing and snapping noise. About 170 yards away I see a big black object dart through a clearing, and I see it's a bear, and boy he is just mowing through the brush, I mean it sounded like a D-6 Cat coming through the brush. He pops out at about 70 yards and sits there and starts sniffing the air, just huffing and puffing to beat hell. We're sitting there in total awe, watching this bear get closer and it was almost scary how fast he was moving. He covered that 170 yards in about 10 seconds, and no he wasn't running. So he gets to 50 yards and stops, I tell my buddy

"ok here we go...

BOOM!

Bear whips around real quick, but his body isn't working right because of that first shot, adrenaline kicks in and there he goes! BOOM! I shoot again, my buddy shoots and then on put in my final 3rd shot and thump! Bear down! We go nuts, high 5's, hugs oh man are we jazzed! So we finally pull ourselves together and realize we gotta go in and make sure he's dead so 30 min later we start creeping off in the direction he ran, and 50 yards later there he is, dead as hell. We shot him with two .30-06's and 150 grain Barnes X bullets. So we start skinning and at 6:30 am we pull into the cabin and crash! Hide squared 8'5". Have lots of pics and will post very soon. Totally awesome experience!
    It pays to be lucky! Great job with taking care of your part of predator control.

Default Great story

Sounds like a great memory to last for years to come! We need PICS!!!

Sounds like a nice bear

Way to go dude! Picked the right place to stop and listen! Like the other guys, waitin on those pics...

Yes, we were VERY lucky. Just right place right time. Not too bad for a couple 18 year olds...

I'm trying right now to get the pics on my computer.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Here we go...

some pics. I will put some up of the hide skinned soon, didn't get them on my camera though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome pics man! I notice the bear is wet and your feet are wet, was it raining or near a creek?

It rained on and off, and it was raining pretty good at that moment. And the bugs ate us alive!

Congratulations on you first brown bear!

Brett

Congrats! Great story and nice bear

Default Congratulations!!!!!!

Great job writing-up your experience...it was really fun to see the enthusiasm threaded throughout your retelling of the story. The pictures just ice it...you guys look STOKED! I love it! Bear hunting...does it get any better than that?? "Moment of truth"?...you guys got the job done!!

Doc

a bald belly too? I've seen that on a black bear once...really kind of odd, anyone know what does that? The black was a very nice boar taking north of fairbanks in the spring spot and stalk.

Nice looking bear and great job!

Default Congratulations!

It sounds like a great experience for the two of you. I appreciate how your excitement for the adventure is evident in your recounting of the story. I also want to tip my hat to your recovery of the dead bear. It shows guts and duty to trail in after an unseen and possibly wounded brown bear. Those experiences can really make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end. To have a pair of 18 yr olds do that together shows responsibility as outdoorsmen and speaks to a solid level of trust (or ignorance, depending on perspective) between the two of you as partners. That bodes well for future experiences together. Congratulations on a job well done!

Quote Originally Posted by millsymojo View Post
    It sounds like a great experience for the two of you. I appreciate how your excitement for the adventure is evident in your recounting of the story. I also want to tip my hat to your recovery of the dead bear. It shows guts and duty to trail in after an unseen and possibly wounded brown bear. Those experiences can really make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end. To have a pair of 18 yr olds do that together shows responsibility as outdoorsmen and speaks to a solid level of trust (or ignorance, depending on perspective) between the two of you as partners. That bodes well for future experiences together. Congratulations on a job well done!
    Well despite all of the '06 can't kill brownie here we find again that someone forgot to tell the bears <grin> That said..... Dude, you followed a wounded 8.5' brown bear with nothing but a pair of 30'06s with little 150 grn peas in the hole

Congrats on the great first brownie!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well despite all of the '06 can't kill brownie here we find again that someone forgot to tell the bears <grin> That said..... Dude, you followed a wounded 8.5' brown bear with nothing but a pair of 30'06s with little 150 grn peas in the hole
    Yup, he went maybe 50 yards and dropped stone dead. Didn't make so much as a bellow either.

Last edited by pike_palace; 06-04-2009 at 13:04. Reason: seeing if these added pics will work which they didn't

Default Barnes X

Nice work!! The Barnes X are a great penetrating bullet, and 150 gr. is just fine. Good work.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

NIce job Pike, and always a good experience to share with a friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast