Thread: HOME RUN!!!!!! With Hawkeye 30-06

Default HOME RUN!!!!!! With Hawkeye 30-06

I used my hunting load just the same as the load I used for my Mark V Custom 30-06 and this Ruger Hawkeye 30-06 shot right with the expensive custom.

I used:

165gr Sierra HPBT
    59grs H4350
    Fed 210 pimer
    Win brass (new)
    OAL - 3.179"

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Very nice group there beartooth. Congradulations!

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default seems the 358's got a competitor

Very nice,
    I almost thought you may have just shot some more groups with the 358, and used some kind of trick photography by slipping those calipers in there.

Will she do that ten more times..? When I start to find the right load, and the groups start to look like that, I get over joyed but then fear that the next might look like someone was blasting away with a load of buckshot from 50 yards away.

Seriously, nice shooting. And great load development.

Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    Very nice,
    I almost thought you may have just shot some more groups with the 358, and used some kind of trick photography by slipping those calipers in there.

Will she do that ten more times..? When I start to find the right load, and the groups start to look like that, I get over joyed but then fear that the next might look like someone was blasting away with a load of buckshot from 50 yards away.

Seriously, nice shooting. And great load development.
    I have been loading for a long time and shooting rifles for a long time. This same load in my Kimber and Mark V was consistent across 9 three shot groups. I would bet the way this one groups that it will do close to the same. I will be finding out soon.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    Very nice group there beartooth. Congradulations!
    Took a lot of work but I was not letting it go until I got there.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BT, I've mentioned this before to you, but it seems that you need reminding...you're supposed to move your target out to the 100 yard line after sighting-in BEFORE you record the group!

BTW my son's stock .30-06 Browning A-Bolt will outshoot my custom .30-06 any day...or maybe it's my son can out-shoot me now?

Either way, you know that I enjoy your posts Mr. BT.

Congratulations sir.

Doc

Talking Yeah...

BT needs to move his 25 yd bore sighting out to 100 yds & show us what he shoots...:P

OBTW I got almost a good a groups with Core Lockt 150 grains...on my Savage 110 pre accutrigger...& now have a home bench & a rest & will get even BETTER groups now...:P

I'll be winning the local turkey shots now! :P

I haven't tried shooting paper lately but that's some nice shooting. I just measure success in what animals I bag with the rifles I shoot at them with. Favorite load I've used on the .30/06 is Hornady Custom Light Magnum in 150g.

gogoalie, right on on the turkey shoot. We haven't had one here in years, maybe I gotta go up there and join in on the fun someday.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I have used this bullet since 1985. I have taken coyote, deer, boar, black bear, mule deer and elk. I have not had a failure with this bullet. I have taken deer out to 375yds and coyote out to 426yds and all hit the ground, and deer and hogs from 35yds to 60yds and all exits and elk from 70 to 220yds and all of these hits did not require a second shot. I have over the last 6 yrs killed 38 deer in a row and 12 hogs that have dropped in their track right where I shot them. I promise there is no exaggeration in any of my comments, this bullet has done just what I have indicated.

Sierra makes this certain bullet tougher than all there other bullets and you can call them and they will tell you it is stronger. When I called them because I was wondering why I was getting so many great kills and consistent exits, they said it was their toughest bullet.

To test their comments, I took an 8" laminated beam from a building project and placed it 25 yds down range and shot it with this bullet out of a 300wby (just to have extreme velocities) and it passed through the beam and 75yrds down range I dug it out of the bank and it had retained 48% of it's weight.

This bullet is a real sleeper. I used it to help Mississippi game warden cull deer, hogs and coyote in a two year period and the bullet never, I mean never failed and I never needed a second one. I killed a big black bear at 90yds 3yrs ago in Arizona and the bullet went in the left side of his chest and exited the far side and took the heart and lungs out a tennis ball size hole on the other side. When we cleaned that bear the heart and lungs were not anywhere in that chest cavity. I know what this bullet will do because I have used on so many game and not only that I trust the bullet because of my experience in the field seeing the terminal results.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That's just about picture perfect.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    That's just about picture perfect.
    Yes, I got it shooting this load really consistent now. I will be working on a 240gr Woodleigh load that I now have moving 2500fps without being over max. Have to do a little seating depth tweaking and tighten up the load. Ran out of the 240gr bullets and have order some before I can finish.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS