Thread: Public use cabins accessible by atv

Default Public use cabins accessible by atv

Just wondering if anyone on here could direct me to one of those public use cabins that is accessible by atv? I just moved up here about a month ago and the girlfriend is coming up fri. I thought this would be a cool way to spend a day/night next week. I am willing to travel around 100mi from Anchorage. Thanks in advance Mike

DNR has a website:

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/index.htm

Haven't used one in years but I'm sure others can chime in on where to go and the likelyhood of getting reservation.

Hey thanks thats a start. So does anyone know of any specific ones that you would suggest?

You need to go on the website to find one that is available- the cabins often get rented out in advance and anyone with a reservation has priority. The ones on the road/trail system are often booked up well in advance.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Also keep in mind that any cabin located on state land cannot be locked. I've run into several over the years but have never used them, you just have to get there when nobody's using it. I know of 4 cabins that are free to use on state land and i'm sure there's a lot more than that.