Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Closure?

Default Anchor Closure?

I heard a couple rumors that the Anchor River may get shut down this weekend due to low Fish #'s. Personally I think that the fish are just late...we will see!

194 fish to date at the weir.... which is what? 2 miles from the salt?

Can you say run failure?

Shutter down!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I agree shut it down, look what happened to the steelhead........
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

there is a procedure in place for the local AC to request an EO. at this time a couple years ago we had 2500 or so through... since then F&G has added wednesdays and additional weekends, and reduced the restricted trolling area near the mouth of the river. (where, btw, most charters have been doing well)
    so go figure, eh?
    i would certainly support an emergency closure, but i have not heard anything solid...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Anchor

the weir is in a tuff spot, with low water the fish don't naturally travel to where they need to go, they always stack up below the bridge, with the early snow melt and low water the first couple weekends things are weird this year, even kings off the markers has been super slow but is now just picking up. a couple of weeks ago I found a bunch of herring up in the bays and made a killing on the feeders, It will happen the scenerio is just a bit different than normal.

This snow melt is like a 180 from last year when we got that late snow dump and rivers were high...and cold with fish stacking up outside. Dunno...I think there's some bad king mojo or maybe its the planets lining up again
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default Not good

I trolled the salt today and saw a total of 1 fish caught from 2 hours before to high slack. Not so good. The charters that I associate with also indicate a very poor season so far... it had a good day here and there but nothing like is should be.

The one fish we saw caught was about a 15 pounder... not good!!!

Shut it down. if they are just late it can be re opened

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Shut it down. if they are just late it can be re opened
    +1, that is the great thing about EO's if the fish show up later then they can reopen it. I vote shut it down.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

People can only fish on the weekends right? The fish have a really good fighting chance it seems because they have five days per week without fishermen. I'm not saying it shouldn't be shut down but are you guys considering this?

Default Depends on the catch...

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    194 fish to date at the weir.... which is what? 2 miles from the salt?

Can you say run failure?

Shutter down!

There is not much point in shutting it down if the catch is low..... I was amazed as much as they linralized this fishery at the last BOF.... Pretty clear last year that the catch was up from extra fishing time... This year I would be willing to bet that the catch is way down along w/ weir-sonar numbers.

Default just saw this...

The Anchor River will be closed to sport fishing by emergency order beginning on Saturday, June 6, at 12:01 a.m., through Tuesday, June 30, at 11:59 p.m., to protect king salmon returning to the river. In addition, the closed area in the adjacent salt waters will increase to two miles north of the Anchor River and two miles south of Anchor River. The closed salt water area also extends one mile out from shore.

Man that sucks but it is the right thing to do.

Klickman

Default closed

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    People can only fish on the weekends right? The fish have a really good fighting chance it seems because they have five days per week without fishermen. I'm not saying it shouldn't be shut down but are you guys considering this?
    Nope. Its normally open Sat, Sun, Mon and Weds., which only leaves 3 days without fishing pressure.

I too hate to see it closed, but its a good thing they did.

TY
    i know closing it wont keep that many more fish in the rivers being the catch rate is so low but if it continues EVERY KING will be needed to spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Its normally open Sat, Sun, Mon and Weds., which only leaves 3 days without fishing pressure.

I too hate to see it closed, but its a good thing they did.
    Good call on the part of Ms Nicki Szarzi:

King salmon escapement to the Anchor River through June 2, 2009, was 219 fish. This is well below the 2003-2008 average escapement count for this date of 2,884 king salmon or the range of escapements measured by June 2 during 2003-2008 of 1,074 to 4,847 king salmon. Each year since 2004, the entire king salmon escapement has been counted and 18 to 40 percent of the run passed upstream of the weir by June 2. Based on run projections which include this variable run timing information, between 600 and 1,200 fish are likely to escape to the Anchor River. This is considerably below the sustainable escapement goal threshold of 5,000. Therefore it is justified to close all waters of the Anchor River and the salt waters adjacent to the Anchor River mouth to sport fishing beginning 12:01 a.m., Saturday, June 6, 2009 through 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, June 30, 2009, when a majority of the remaining Anchor River king salmon are likely to return.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Default Shift of pressure....

Now there will be a significant shift in pressure to Ninilchik, Deep Cr, and Kasilof... And even potentially to the Kenai R from all the displaced Anchor R fisherman.

As if the lack of fish in the Anchor wasn't already shifting the bulk of that effort elsewhere already?
    The KeenEye MD

Its a no brainer...Close the river. There are plenty of alternatives to hook up over the weekend.

Default Maybe cause u are not there..

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    As if the lack of fish in the Anchor wasn't already shifting the bulk of that effort elsewhere already?
    Use to be that the Kasilof abosrbed alot of the pressure... But, the Kasilof has not fished well from the bank since 2004... My point being the other two small stream fisheries will suffer from this closure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast