Thread: Lowe 1655 tunnel and a remote Honda 50 jet??

Default Lowe 1655 tunnel and a remote Honda 50 jet??

A neighbor bought a used 16 Lowe 70 hp remote Johnson 2 yrs ago from a local dealer. Since then he has had a Honda 50 jet remote installed. He hauls fairly heavy and the Honda does not preform to his expectation. He is a newbie jet boater but says the Honda will only go 3/4 throttle and goes on step but is not responsive (ie power). THIS IS NOT a dealer BASH .He has had it in several times and each time it cost him more money but no changes. The string along my words.Anyway I had one of these boats in the early 90,s with a tiller 55 hp commercial jet/prop and it was great with the prop and a bit of a dog with the jet heavy load but it worked ok whats the problem with the setup? They have went up/dwn with the Honda etc Need your help to guide him ? Thanks

How heavy is heavy?

Does it run right empty?

I don,t think so ??

Well not knowing his experience level or what exactly he is doing Ill give it a couple of shots of armchair expertise,

1. He is too heavy. Most say a 50/35 jet is only good for a couple of people and some gear in a 16 footer.

2. He has the weight in his boat distributed wrong.

And we need to know if it runs right with him just in it, and if so how much weight until it doesnt? There was a guy on here that said his 50/35 jet would work with 3 guys and fishing gear on the way downriver, on the way back it wouldnt work with 3 guys, fishing gear and 6 silvers. So he could be just trying to run with a hair too much weight

I too think its underpowered but due to his inexperience etc and wanting to be Kenai legal he bought a 50 hp. We do know that some dealers will hang whatever they can get away with on a transom. Very sad to see his frustration after spending the money and all but buyer beware as always.I will talk gently to him some more and try to make him see the real issue as he thinks its a problem that can fixed. Sad

Ah the 50HP Honda jet... the old model was a dog power wise. I have a friend who bought one and was dissapointed. There is a reason why Honda re-designed the 50 made it EFI, and went the trouble to have what they coin BLAST Boosted Low Speed Torque where when you jam the throttle they advance the ignigtion curve aggressively. Hole shot is improved as more horespower gets the hull op on plane quicker... all Honda words not mine.

Tell your buddly to buy a prop lower unit and enjoy a great fuel sipping motor and to buy a bigger jet unit like a 70 or 90 powerhead for a jet... maybe even a mudbuddy type motor.

Sobie2

I told him to buy a prop but hes no river man and cant stay off the bottom at all.The stealer gave him $200 for a 70 Johnson jet that worked. I tried to tell him things but you know how we listen.Very sad for sure.

If he can't stay off the bottom I wonder how his impeller and sleave look. Maybe those are worn out. Just a thought.

Maybe from the get go he has expected too much from that lil boat?

Could be a combo of both?

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Ah the 50HP Honda jet... the old model was a dog power wise. I have a friend who bought one and was dissapointed. There is a reason why Honda re-designed the 50 made it EFI, and went the trouble to have what they coin BLAST Boosted Low Speed Torque where when you jam the throttle they advance the ignigtion curve aggressively. Hole shot is improved as more horespower gets the hull op on plane quicker... all Honda words not mine.

Tell your buddly to buy a prop lower unit and enjoy a great fuel sipping motor and to buy a bigger jet unit like a 70 or 90 powerhead for a jet... maybe even a mudbuddy type motor.

Sobie2
    My new Honda jet has 3 carbs, but has what they call BLAST. Also it is geared different than the prop model.