Thread: Looking for a KP Brown Bear

Exclamation Looking for a KP Brown Bear

I haven't had much luck finding a Brown Bear to whack yet still have a few weeks left but time is winding down so I'm looking for any info on sightings of them I drew DB 309 and that area covers from Sterling to Homer and out to Nikiski, not in the Refuge at all. I'm not looking to hunt one over BAIT either so please don't ask! I'm just not seeing the bears I saw last year this time of year. Want to fill this tag and I hope everyone who has one is out trying to fill it also. Thanks Steve

Default Wish I could Help

Wish I had information for you, since I would likely be gloating after filling the same tag. But, same obsevation, just haven't seen any where near the number of bears as last year. I will admit, however, that I haven't hunted the tag as much as I had hoped. Theres a lot of bears in the area, but unfortunately, there just isn't much areas allowing glassing like Cooper Landing and the like.

Good luck,

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default I saw

2 different bears, one on each side of the river on sat & sun. They were at the Kenai keys so I don't know how you'd get one but I know I wouldn't miss them if they were gone.

Smile caribou hills

Well, it looks like the most promising areas of that permit are caribou hills accessed from clam gulch, oil well road or or the back roads in Homer. You can take wheelers back there. Caribou hills is filled with bears particularly along the streams. We were warned about a brownie behind denise lake in Soldotna last week but I dont know if its still around. The upper Kenai as mentioned might be worth a float late evening. That permit would be cake in the Fall along all of those salmon streams in it.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Steve, I had a 8-9' come through a week ago out by the house. If you want to go to the hills with the argo I will point you in the right direction and give you the keys to the cabin. I think if it were me I would stay low, around subdivisions, where the cows feel safe to calf (dont see very many newborns in the hills???), leave the stick and string in the closet, grab as much firepower as you can, and learn to sound like a lost or hurt calf. Better yet find a cow with newborns and stay with them. You need to stop working, and devote all your time to brown fur!! Im at work now so thats about all I can do to help.

Thumbs up Thanks I'll keep on the look out

I was out on the power lines between Robinson Loop and Mackey Lake the other night predator calling with no success only saw a old set of rained out Brownie tracks. Been down Centenial trail (did see tracks there sow and cubs) saw one set of rained out tracks near my house but was just passing through I guess. Feed me some more info Scott may be heading down to the hills middle of the week, I know last fall there were Brown Bears everywhere off of straight in trail saw one the size of a VW Beetle! Carrying the 45/70 now time is getting short for this hunt so I need to fill this tag. Heard of a few out and about just not seeing any fresh sign. If the Keys bears show up give me a shout I'll take a drive up there. Thanks keep the info coming I'm going to be logging lots of hours the next 2 weeks.

I drew this same tag but haven't hunted at all. I pretty much gave up when they closed the fall portion of the hunt. Waste of my five bucks!! Thats the whole reason I put in for the hunt. It's pretty hard to hunt DB309 unless your on a salmon stream. I was pretty disapointed when F&G closed the fall hunt so that they could direct us to nuisance bears in the spring. I didn't put in for the permit to take care of a 5ft garbage bear. What a Crock!!! I'm not saying it's a bad idea but they should have said something first. I wouldn't have put in for it had I known. Sorry don't mean to steal the thread just a little annoyed. And yes I saw the glory story they put in paper where the guy shot a 7ftr. Good for him but If I'm going to shoot a 1 in 4 regulatory year bear I would like to at least take an 8ft+++. Maybe I'm just grumpy this morning