Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tents

Default Tents

I hate to rehash an old topic, but I am in need of a 3 man, 3 season tent (preferably under 8 pounds, but definately under 10) and would like some recommendations. I like the Big Agnes Parkview 3 available at Sportsman's Warehouse, but would like to know what else may be comparable and available. A footprint option would be nice too.

Tim

If You wanna spend money and get a tent for carrying on your own back: Take a Bibler!!!

Default What's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71
    I hate to rehash an old topic, but I am in need of a 3 man, 3 season tent (preferably under 8 pounds, but definately under 10) and would like some recommendations. I like the Big Agnes Parkview 3 available at Sportsman's Warehouse, but would like to know what else may be comparable and available. A footprint option would be nice too.

Tim
    Tim,

That's a pretty open-ended question. How much do you want to spend at the upper end?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Check out the Marmot Aeolos 3p. www.marmot.com

Thumbs up Inexpensive But Not Cheap

I Recently Got A Kelty Trail Dome Tent. It Is Much Thicker Than Most And The Poles Are Very High Quality. The Material Is 3800 Mm Compared To Most Being Around 900-1200mm. Super Tough And Nice Tent. I Got It At Campmor.com This Is A Great Tent. Should Be Very,very, Waterproof. And It Is Freestanding. Good For Gravel Bars. Footprint Was Like $24 At Campmor As Well. I Got The 6 Man Tent. But My Buddy Just Got The Same Tent And His Is A 4 Man. Weight Is About What You Asked For. 8 Lbs Or So. Good Stuff.

Default Tents

Mike: I want to spend about $300. This is an unanticipated cost; I went to Kenai this weekend to look for black bears and discovered no less than three holes in my tent! (Cooper Lake/Snug Harbor Road is very much iced-up and snowy!) D: Do they sell the Kelty locally? Sounds like a stout tent and the weight is acceptable.

Tim

Thumbs up Tent

I think you maye have a hard time finding a good 3 man tent for $300 or less that weighs 8lbs or less. Check out the Eureka Outfitter Assualt 4, it weighs a little over 11lbs but is well worth the money. Get with Brian Richardson, he has written several reviews on tents and knows his stuff.

Default Kelty Trail Dome Tent

I GOT THE 6 MAN KELTY FOR $189 ON CAMPMOR. BRAND NEW. THE FOOTPRINT WAS LIKE $25. THE 4 MAN TRAIL DOME IS AROUND $150. THEY SHIP FAST TOO. YOU WOULD HAVE IT IN A WEEK BASED ON MY EXPERIENCES WITH CAMPMOR. TOUGH TENT. SUPER NICE GOLDEN ALUMINUM POLES. I FORGET THE MM, BUT THEY ARE STOUT. THE FABRIC IS OVER 2X THE THICKNESS OF MOST EUREKA,CABELAS, AND SUCH TENTS. THE TENT IS COMPLETELY FREESTANDING AND HAS A SUPER NICE RAIN COVER THAT CONNECTS TO THE TENT ITSELF WITH BUCKLES. NOT ONE SINGLE STAKE NEEDED FOR THE TENT. CHECK IT OUT AT WWW.CAMPMOR.COM

Default Archive search!

I'd start with a search in the hunting forum archives. We've already written a LOT about tents there. I think it might narrow your search considerably.

Some questions you'll need to answer right out of the chute are:

1. What kind of areas do you plan to hunt? Is the country open, or brushy and timbered? This will determine whether you need a low-profile mountaineering tent that sheds wind, or whether you can go with something you can stand up in.

2. Will you backpack this tent? Sounds like you've already answered that with your comment on weight (but others are reading this with similar questions).

3. Budget. You've already answered that too.

4. Color. Some folks want a tent that's easy to spot, and others want to remain hidden. I've already had one MEDIVAC situation and that was enough for me. I like brightly-colored tents!

I'm out of time right now, but these are some questions you should consider. The archives have a lot on this, truly.

I'm attaching a photo of one of my mountaineering tents- it's a Wild Country, made by Terra Nova out of the UK. The tent is on the left; the other "object" in the photo is my good friend Henry Passerini, of Florida.

Best of luck!

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default hilleberg

Another good tent maker is Hilleberg. There light, very durable, but comes with a price. In the range of the Biblers or a little less. I have the Akto solo man and i love it. They are great tents. I know Barney's here in Anchorage sells this line.

www.hilleberg.com is there website

fighting sioux

Default Hilleberg Nallo 3

I was looking for the same thing. I was looking at either the Hilleberg or the Bibler.
    I got my like new Hilleberg Nallo 3 off ebay for $300, I believe. It's a good tent, very light, and very big.

Look at the Cabela's "Alaska Guide" tent. The 4-man or the 6-man ones are just slightly under/over $300.00 for the green ones. Also, at the same online catalog (Cabela's), you can look at a couple of good tents made by Eureka, and these don't cost as much.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...103&hasJS=true

The only problem with the larger Cabela's tents is that they are heavier than what you want, but you can look at other brands in the same online catalog, without having to go to different web sites to check the specifications. Go here for the "camping" catalog:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ainCatcat20075

Quote Originally Posted by fighting sioux
    Another good tent maker is Hilleberg. There light, very durable, but comes with a price. In the range of the Biblers or a little less. I have the Akto solo man and i love it. They are great tents. I know Barney's here in Anchorage sells this line.

www.hilleberg.com is there website

fighting sioux
    Sure, not a bad idea: My Hilleberg Namatj is now 15 years old, has seen adventure from New Zealand to California and Skaninavia and is still well ... But I think the next one will be a Bibler or a BlackDiamond Ultralight...

Default Kifaru Tipi

Light, no floor, stove inside, quick set up, great in the wind/snow/rain.
    They do cost a bunch, but nothing I have used comes close to lightwieght and comfort. kifaru.net
    Rob

Default Thanks for..

the recommendations. Wouldn't the stove in the tipi be heavy? I have seen Kifaru products-nice but expensive.

Tim

Default tipi

actually the stove and pipe are very light and they disassemble to about a little bigger than a note book size. I have the 6 man with a medium stove, and I think all together it weighs close to 10-12 pounds ( stove included ). Also a great set up for base camp.

Fighting Sioux

Default more tipis

if you are considering a tipi look at titanium goat for sure, they have tipis and also ultralight domes and flys. i used one last year on the tundra for a month and it was skookum!
    the stove makes life awfully comfy!
    titaniumgoat.com
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Black Diamond Megalight

I just got mine today. It weighs about 2 pounds with the stakes and can be set up in about 1-2 minutes. It fits in a bag about 6 inches by 8 inches.

No mosquito netting though. I'm going to have to get the netting, It can be purchased seperately.

You can see reviews of it here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...d%20MegaLight/

I use just a tarp for most camping anyway so I really like this one.

You can get a black diamond megamid, have a stove jack sewed in, and get a 4-dogs titanium woodstove for around $600. I made my groundcloth from a piece of tyvek, light and dry.

Do you need a tent for 3 men, or a 3 man tent? The megamid is rated at 4 man, but is a 2 man hunting tent.

MSR mutha hubba is a freestanding 3 person under 8 lbs - but it's a bit closer to $400.

I have an older MSR zoid 1 person tent - (they actually bought the design from walrus I think) it's not freestanding, but it's under 4 lbs and is totally bomb proof...I would definitely buy another MSR tent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast