Thread: Coffman cove in Three weeks!

Default Coffman cove in Three weeks!

Counting down the days! I'll be back up with my wife and son at our place in coffman cove.
    Rental cabins are in good shape, so this year it will be mostly fishing and relaxing. Any other member up there around june 28th-july 6th?
    Would be fun to meet up and swap fish stories, and my wife makes a mean huckleberry pie too!

Ibgrizz will be coming up to fish with us. Hey Warren, ya better not use work as an excuse mister!!

Have a great summer everyone.

Default coffman cove

Just out of sheer curiosity, did you know a fellow there in Coffman Cove/Thorne Bay area by the name of Tobin Coate? He was a buddy of mine who lived there for a short time. Started Goose Bay Cabins before he passed away.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

sorry, can't say I do.

How long you going to be up there? Im going to be up there the first part of August and am looking to meeting a few people and do lots of fishing.

we'll be there late june and through july 8th only. The rest of the season we have guests booked in our cabins, other than a week or so in august.
    Have fun up there. If you make it to coffman and need a nice boat rental, shoot me a PM. Ours is probably available.

GBS

one week and counting? I have all the gear set, and a few nice folks who offered to bring up extra things we'll need to help stock the cabins for the season. Mt 6 year old said today "daddy, next week I'm gonna catch a HUGE halibut, bigger than yours" I love it!!! The best part is this year I can actually fish more up there, and work less on the cabins. Thankfully!!!
    The 4th will be such a blast. good food and fireworks with good folks.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Have fun Brad I wish our trip would have been planned when you were going to be there.

Mike

Default Coffman Cove Fishing Report

Fishing has gotten a LOT better over the last week or two folks are getting more halibut each trip. My self-guided folks limited in a couple hours so it is picking up. Fish seem to be coming at the usual spots a local charter guy got a whole rack of 40+ yesterday.

Kings have slowed way down recently two nights ago we caught 5 shakers but no keepers but we did get a nice dollie in 200' of water 65 feet down on a Kingcatcher. Weird.

Silvers - saw three at the dock yesterday so they are showing. Lots of feed up north and it is starting to get better out front. Lots of whales recently. Drug Whale Pass but no takedowns.

Crab - rocking

Shrimp - fair-OK.

I will post some pics shortly when we get a good day to head back out, rained buckets today.

Gooch

hey Gooch,
    thanks a bunch for the great report. Are you in coffman? Have we met before? Would be good to meet you while I'm there.
    Brad

We are going to be in Coffman Cove August 7-15. I can't leave Alaska without meeting somebody who goes by greenbuttskunk! Name the spot.

5 of us staying with Gooch, and getting anxious.

sorry, we left coffman sunday and headed back to portland. We miss it there already. What a great time, great people, great weather (hot) and amazing fishing.
    It was so sad to have coffman loose a member of the community to a drowning. Really puts life into perspective. Be save out there folks.

Got in and stuffed the freezer with butts and coho. Gave away all the older stuff from this last fall and this spring.
    Good to meet you Gooch. Wish I could have fished with you while there. Don't be shy next time, I'm just and invite away.

AS for my moniker, I am a huge summer steelhead fly fisher and the
    greenbuttskunk is my "go to" fav. fly.
    cheers,
    GBS

Default Took a ride

Sunday my dad and I took his boat from Petersburg down to Whale Pass, the Cohos have definately showed up. We got in there and started loadin up the fish box so I switched to my fly rod and we played C&R for awhile and kept a few more big ones. In the end we caught 25 released 13 and went home with a limit for both. It was a good day.

If anyone gets down there, they couldn't resist the pink clouser. I had mutliple fish following it and usually had to wait for the fish to stop fighting eachother before the winner would be able to strike.