Thread: How to fish effectively for Lake trout

Default How to fish effectively for Lake trout

Hello everyone, I was headed south this weekend in hopes of pursuing lake trout. I personally have never fished for them but a guy im going with has a couple times. Hes never fished for them from a boat though. I have an aluminum boat with a 9.9 that i will be using. From pictures ive seen on this forum, there are plenty of people that know how to slay lake trout. Not asking for secret spots just where do i start. I have no down riggers equiped on my boat and will be taking a fly rod and a spinning rod with me. Any information will be really helpful!
    Thanks
    Go Fish

There are very many variables when fishing for lake trout. What body of water? What size fish? Is there a salmon run in the lake? Max water depth? Water temp? Etc.....

You can always drag a big flatfish, rapala, spoon etc...

I have not used downriggers yet. Have not needed them especially this early in the year. Put a banana weight on a swivel - 1/2 to 1 oz.

Can't help much, but in 2007 I did a float trip on the Goodnews. I had read up on lake trout prior to that trip as I heard that Goodnews Lake was full of lake trout. Troy Lethermans "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska..." had a whole chapter on lake trout. From what I recall the book suggested sinking or sink tip lines and large baitfish patterns. Similar to what you might use for sheefish. I had a few 3.5" blue/white, silver/green, etc.. patterns tied up. Turns out we just shoved off in an effort to make the first camp spot (8 miles downriver) before it got too late. I still regret that. Lessons learned. Anyway, that is all I remember as for fly fishing for lake trout. Fish deep with baitfish patterns.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Try Hidden lake

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    Hello everyone, I was headed south this weekend in hopes of pursuing lake trout. I personally have never fished for them but a guy im going with has a couple times. Hes never fished for them from a boat though. I have an aluminum boat with a 9.9 that i will be using. From pictures ive seen on this forum, there are plenty of people that know how to slay lake trout. Not asking for secret spots just where do i start. I have no down riggers equiped on my boat and will be taking a fly rod and a spinning rod with me. Any information will be really helpful!
    Thanks
    One of the better spots for Lake Trout down south is Hidden Lake. Fly fishing for Laker is tough once you get too far past ice-off as the Lakers will get close to shore for the fry after ice off. So you will have to go deep or fish nice drop offs. At hidden lake you can troll with big spoons or diving lures (the multi-section ones) work best. Don't be afraid to go big on the lures. Alternatively if you want to fish bait, you can try jigging a herring off the bottom. If you are equipped with a depth/fish finder that would really help. I used to get out there and just troll a diving lure in 40+ ft. of water. Of course, I never really worried about catching fish, just looking for something to do.

I caught this guy at hidden lake yesterday morning....

it was my first attempt at hidden lake, but it was worth the try everyone else said they hadnt caught jack....my advice is start EARLY, really early, and start trolling as soon as you leave the launch, troll close in to shore, within 60-80 feet from the bank, and dont be afraid to try shallow....we caught 1 nice kokanee and this guy and lost another between 9am and 11am trollin spinners with no weights...also try bait like herring or hooligan and dead drop it with a little twitch for action in the depths... that lake is over 100 feet deep in alot of places and watch out for shallow water and ROCKS! also pay attention to the wind...we got our bow lifted once and and I run a 14' aluminum with a 25 horse. the wind can really make it dangerous to run a small craft on. Good luck and I hope this helps

Default Lakers

I don't know if this helps, but we fish for lakers every year in Ontario trolling #7 or #9 original shad raps in black/silver, perch, or fire tiger seem to work the best. We tend to look for baitfish like cisco topping the water and usually the lakers are right below. A little piece of advice when your bringing him up as soon as he sees the sunlight he will run again play him untill you see bubbles come up from below. Hope this helps good luck.

Post Try some of these / my .o2 cents

This is a little up my ally... match the fish in the lake... little grayling take a beating from the bigger lakers..... bright green/ chaturse (?) . Jig for them near drop offs...a fish finder is a BIG help... sand'e points that are 10 to 15' & drop off to deep water is prime. Dress them lures with the tail section of a "mister twister" , Will really GET THEM MOVING ... This time of year/ ice out u will find them eating all the bugs they can get. Don't be shy they pick up about anything on the lake bottem/ just like catfish . Remeber that in a "laker lake " that they spend/spent 9 months under ice....troll a rapala (way back) RITE by the sheets of ice left floating around (if there is any left) and out they come .... if they are not playing fair ... CHANGE your lure/color till u hit the rite combo or sometimes i add a jet diver ...things to remember ..... 1. rite depth 2. lure color 3. time of day 4. temps 5. read up on how the lure was built to run ie; to fast = wrong action , line twist etc... ps: the 3 to 4 pound lakers ( once u fine what works) can be caught on every pass.. its Them 7+ Ones that play hard to get. ONE 10 to 12 pounder will have u hooked! and then again sometimes they just have LOCK JAW...good luck!
    Last edited by atvalaska; 06-05-2009 at 13:35. Reason: SPELL'IN
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

All of what's been said and try to vary your retrieve speed when trolling, many times they will follow follow follow and it takes either a slow down and flutter or an increase in speed to incite the bite.

Default Check out this Thread

I would ask this guy if I were you, there even a little tip at the end of the thread....

He posted that for me to drool over....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=44520

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    I would ask this guy if I were you, there even a little tip at the end of the thread....

He posted that for me to drool over....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=44520

Fish On!

I have given Jose a bunch of info through PM's this week.
    We'll have to see how he does.

Our Laker lakes are still frozen over here.
    She was a long frosty winter.