Thread: Little Su? New canoeist needs advise

Default Little Su? New canoeist needs advise

Would floating the Little Su from the Parks Hwy to Burma be well suited for a relatively inexperienced solo canoeist paddling a 16' canoe from the center seat? How about with a very green wife and young retriever aboard as well? Bad idea?

I have paddled many lakes, but only 1 VERY slow moving river in Pennsylvania during college.

Can anyone recommend other slow moving rivers to gain experience before attempting the Little Su, or is the Little Su about as easy as it gets in Alaska?

Zeb.

That *should* be an easy section, and depending on when you do it, it probably will be. But if there are a lot of people fishing, and there are a bunch of boats running up & down, it can get rather busy. King and silver salmon seasons are usually busy.

I have not tried floating the little Su solo, but if you are comfortable in your canoe on lakes, and feel confident you can make lots of sharp turns, go for it. I would recomend going with your wife would be better for a first trip. Some of the turns are realy easier with 2 people. When I did my first trip I had only been on lakes, but was comfortable with my knowlege of paddling strokes.

First I would recomend that you take the very green wife to a large lake for a day of paddling. She will learn most basic strokes, and turning, and how not to fight against your control strokes, while getting comfortable with sitting in a small boat. Then if you or her are timid still about floating from the highway to Burma try a shorter float. From the highway to Millers reach on Lujon Road is short and is always relatively near homes and businesses. You can make this float in an hour or 2. If you can handel this section of the river ok then you should be able to hanle the rest of the river.

The Little Su is probably the easiest float in south central that is road accessable. The Moose on the Kenai river might be ok too.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the very helpful info!

I forgot to mention when you do decide to float from the highway to burma try to pick a non holiday weekend or you will need to set camp early to ensure you get a good gravel bar. Also You will see a few power boats on the upper part, but alot on the lower river.

Making a trip durring the week will give the most peaceful experience. starting on a friday, or ending on a monday can be easier/ less crowded than a saturday/sunday float. Expect to spend 12-16 hours on the water with an average canoe. Kyaks will float faster and rafts will float slower. Enjoy.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

zeb, the water is deep enough this time of the season to flt. mendeltna creek from lake louise rd. (small rd. of lk. louise rd.) back to the highway. It's a fun little trip.....just be prepared for a few blowdowns/sweepers here and there. It's a very tranquill place too because there is no one who really does it. A small canoe is best for that creek. You can make it a two day trip.....or a one day trip. The lil sue gets pretty hectic when the salmon start running. Be prepared to get out of the way on many occasions for the jet boats as they need to stay on step to make the tight turns on that river. Good trip but I do find better enjoyment and more a peaceful setting to be had in other places......you just have to work harder to get there.