Thread: denali hwy grayling

Question denali hwy grayling

Has anyone had good sucess repeatedly catching decent size grayling on the denali hwy ? I have had luck in NW alaska catching one after another 16" plus but have only tried tangle lakes area once years ago catching only a few small ones. In addition past trips floating the gulkana have only produced smaller ones as well.
    I have family coming up in July & am planning on driving the hwy from paxton to cantwell & was wondering if it was worth trying again. I see there are a couple guide svcs avail & one even advertises 18" + on some secret spots up there. Is this a realistic expectation for that area? For some reason it just doesn't seem like it would be possible for them to grow to that size & if so not large numbers. If anyone has experience there to agree of disagree & or make a recomendation I would appreciate it.
    Thanks,

Default Grayling

Try the Brushkana river using a black wooly bugger fly. Not sure how it will be close to the road, but if you go upstream a ways (4-wheeler access) you will get into some great fishing.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

You are going to be hard pressed finding any grayling of decent size right of the hwy. If you have atvs it will be a bit easier, I still find it hard to believe anyone consistantly catches 18+ grayling.

If I'm not mistaken an 18" grayling is considered trophy size. That being said I would doubt consistent catches in that range.

Smile arctic grayling

"The largest grayling fisheries occur along the road system in Interior Alaska. However, larger-size fish are generally caught in less heavily fished areas. Over 70 percent of the trophy grayling (greater than 3 pounds) registered by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game come from the famous Ugashik Lake and river system of Bristol Bay. The state record grayling, 23 inches long and weighing 4 pounds 13 ounces, was caught in the Ugashik Narrows."

This is from the ADF&G website. This summer I had the fortune of catching 17 and 18 inchers using a black gnat fly. Measured with a tape measure not guesstimate. They would strike every cast and I would pull one into the boat every other cast. And yes, to me these were trophy size compaired to all others I have fished. Nothing better than a fresh pan fryed grayling! And yes it was a secret spot

Mod Elan it sounds like you found a sweet spot thi summer. I thought I was in the honey hole catching 16" regularly, guess I will have to keep searching.

It is interesting to look through the Alaska records and see where all of the fish have been caught and when. Always wondered if Ugashik was that great or if some people just got really lucky. Never talked with anyone that managed to fish it before. Can't imagine what a Grayling that size would look like. The 16 inchers I have caught were beautiful fish normally very dark in color and thick bodies. Caught a fair share on small Rapalas this summer, must of had the mind of a bigger fish!

Default sweet spot

I can't imagine what one that big would look like either. I thought I was in the holy grail of fishing holes at the time.

Normally I don't have any "secret spots" and I would tell you where I was, all you'd have to do is ask. But I was invited by a local of the area and I wouldn't feel comfortable going without him. So this makes it uncomfortable to reveal the location. I will say that it opened my eyes to the places you'd find grayling. Since the trip I have studied the maps of other places I have been and have several other locations I'd like to try that would seem like they would be great grayling habitat. It's amazing what you can do with a boat and a free weekend! Something to put on the list for next summer.

By the way, I just realized I haven't gone spear fishing yet. Anybody else here do that? Hope I didn't miss it this year! Hmmmmm......might have to jump in the truck tonight and take a drive.

Default honey holes

I found a honey hole up north for legitimate 18"ers a couple years ago, but it took a beaver & raft to get there.

As far as the denali hwy goes I would gladly hire a guide for a day to get transportation down one of the rivers up there. I just didn't know if was a reality the could be obtained or not. Besides its for out of state family & I know if they would rather try this than spend a day bobbing in the ocean.
    Thanks Mud & others,I will let you know how it goes.

If you are willing to hire a guide or outfitter, consider going up the Gulkana. Fantastic grayling and rainbow fishing there. Way more fish than anywhere I have fished along the Denali Hwy.

Wink Denali Highway

Akmarmot:
    Take your relatives up to McClaren Lodge and have the owners take you out grayling fishing in their jetboat. They drop you off so they should be alone in some of the most scenic country of the state. Their prices are very cheap (posted on their website) and I have relatives who did this trip and had a ball catching all the grayling they wanted. Good luck.

Thumbs up pm me....

Greg, I have a spot where I caught 20 grayling to 18" in an afternoon. I also caught a dozen lakers between 8 and 15 lbs. in the same spot. Its along the Denali hwy.
    Time of year is crucial.
    email me...
    Frank

Default Tangles

The Tangle Lakes system does contain big fish (>16") but it takes some good timing and hiking away from the road to find them. This system warms up a lot in the summer and the bigger grayling like colder water.