Thread: we should be on our way in a couple months

Default we should be on our way in a couple months

My girlfriend and I are looking for something new. I think I have sold the "lets try Alaska" bit to her. We are an adventurous couple who love the outdoors. I have a couple loose ends to tie first. I have been looking online at the different areas in AK to live with Anchorage being the first choice. I would like it to be as easy as possible to find some sort of work for both of us, at least until we have explored the area more. We will most likely have one vehicle when we arrive (large 4x4 truck). I have a mechanical background including automotive repair, HVAC, industrial machinery repair. My girlfriend is in retail. Ideally I would like to have a rented room setup before we move.

-Would living in Anchorage be the best choice for an easy oppurtunity to get any sort of employment? I dont want to be pickey right when we get there we just need some sort of income to keep our savings.

- I understand the cost of a rental in Anchorage is more than say an adjacent town. But since we are going to rent a room I think It wont empty out pocket book too fast in comparision to renting our own place. Also when we are looking for a rental, Im going to need a garage. I have alot of tools.

- Would anyone reading this be interested in making some new friends, putting a roof over our head, and take some time to show us the area? I wouldn't expect us to be more than a week or two until we can get a room rented? Of course we would compensate you for it. We are trying to save as much as possible. We could get a hotel room but its just so expensive. Seems like a waste of money. **we wont have any pets.

Quote Originally Posted by maveric7383 View Post
    I have a mechanical background including automotive repair, HVAC, industrial machinery repair. My girlfriend is in retail. Ideally I would like to have a rented room setup before we move.

-Would living in Anchorage be the best choice for an easy oppurtunity to get any sort of employment? I dont want to be pickey right when we get there we just need some sort of income to keep our savings.

- I understand the cost of a rental in Anchorage is more than say an adjacent town. But since we are going to rent a room I think It wont empty out pocket book too fast in comparision to renting our own place. Also when we are looking for a rental, Im going to need a garage. I have alot of tools.
    You will be arriving at the end of summer which is the end of the busiest time of year. In some industries they will be busting their rears to finish up before it freezes or snows in late September. In other industries they are already shutting down by the end of August.

If you know someone in a large HVAC or mechanical company like Siemens, Honeywell, or Control Contractors (are they national?) get hooked up with them before you come up here.

If your GF has management experience it might be easy to get into retail up here. They just opened a Target, Khols, and another Sports Authority. She will be competing with all the highschoolers, U of A students, and military spouses. There is a lot of turn over, but might not be much in the fall when you come up here. There are always a lot of entry level accounting jobs with many different companies.

The last time I rented a place (1992) in Anchorage that had a garage it was $1200 a month plus utilities. We had three people in a two bedroom condo and the girl got the little garage space for her precious little truck.

When home owners rent out rooms they seldom give up the garage space since that space is typically over flowing with all their junk. If you are the lease holder for a condo then you can dictate the terms to the other roomates you sublet to. Most appartment buildings do not have garages and you will have to look at a house or a condo rental.

Default heres a link!

Mav,

Do not be embarrassed to visit this link!

http://www.globalfreeloaders.com/mem...ska&code=us-AK

Some of us open our doors to fellow fishermen in the lower 48, in an
    effort to help defray their vacation costs upon arrival. I have no idea
    if it is a "Southern Hospitality" thing, as I am originally from the South,
    but I've offered friends (and others I've come to know) free room,
    sight seeing tours and come-along fishing trips.

Give that link a try...and then get back with me if you find success!

Best Wishes....

If you have a solid background in HVAC you might check with Clubs heating and air. A friend worked for them a few years ago and was pretty happy with them.
    Living closer to Anchorage has it pros and cons but to find a job and have less commute is a big plus.
    Check Craigs List out on the work stuff and you may find something on the housing at the same time.
    Good luck on your trip and search

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Definitely do your research and submit a resume before coming up here. There have been many people coming up here with the misconception they can easily land a job because Alaska hasn't been hit as hard as the lower 48. Many have found out the hard way and forced to depend on the Salvation Army, homeless shelters, and other charitable organizations because they came up here unprepared.

Depending on your choice of domiciles, the cost of renting or buying differs greatly betwen Anchorage, Eagle River, Chugiach, Wasilla and Palmer. In short, the closer you are to Anchorage the greater the price tag.

Good luck on your home & job search and hope it pans out for y'all!
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

Psalms 109:8