Thread: Russian River June 19th

Default Russian River June 19th

Parents are coming in to visit (I live in Fairbanks) and we are going to spend some time on the Russian River on June 19th before meeting a friend with a cabin on the Kenai on the 20th & 21st.

Our friend with the cabin will know the information about the Kenai but I am in charge of getting us on the fish at the Russian. I have looked a lot of stuff up online but the reports all kind of get jumbled in my head about what will be going on then and the best way to get into them. So I turn to my favorite forum of fisherman for some advice on what will be running, how best to catch them, and any other small tips that you can send my way.

Thanks

Default lining

line them
    floss them
    Kenai flip them

Russian rivers flies would be a good choice - nothing but pink will catch them I tell ya.

Get in line with the rest and just know that it is combat fishing, be patient. Wear good sunglasses or safety glasses.

Watch the reports here as the day approaches. There will be people from the forums down there every day from the 11th through when you want to go, so you'll get current news then. I'll be there on the 11th and 12th, so I'll let you know what I experience.

As for technique, your best bet will be to watch someone who has some fish on a stringer for about 20 minutes. You'll notice that everyone seems to be doing almost the same thing, but if you look closely there are slight differences that often account for the fact that one guy limits out quickly while others standing next to him are without fish. Buy 10-15 Russian River flies per person, plenty of #2 split shot, and rig up once you're there. Good luck!

I'd suggest going during the week days if at all possible. It will still be packed combat fishing, but not near as bad as noon on Saturdays. We try to get down there pretty early too.
    If you get the premade Russian River flies that everybody sells, make sure they're sharp.
    As Brian has stated, watch the guys with the fish on stringers. Pay attention to length of leader they're using from their weight to their fly. You'll get a feel for how much weight you're supposed to be using after a few casts. Also take note of where they're throwing their hook. Alot of people think you have to fish in the deeper, faster current, but if you're wearing polaroids, you'll see the fish are actually closer to your feet than you think.

Polarized glasses.... not only to see the fish but to protect your eyes from all the splitshots and hooks flying all over the place.

Bear protection..... whether you're strapped or like the peppery stuff, this might be a good idea. Personally, I carry the spray. Don't walk the trails at night! If you want to, don't go out alone!

Felt bottom boots.... please!!!! Your parents will thank you for that. Leave the rubber bottom hip boots at home. Every person that I've ever seen that has fallen in the Russian was wearing those cheap boots!

Like Brian said.... watch what others (who are successful) are doing.

Be advised however that watching what others are doing "successfully" shouldn't mean (1) ripping the hook through the water and snagging fish with abandon; and (2) the daily limit is however many fish can be stuffed into a Hefty garbage sack ... 'cause you might be left with that impression

Thanks for the advice guys and any further though it really appreciated. I will, as always, keep my eye on the forum in hopes of seeing some good news for our upcoming trip. I have always found Alaskans to help a ton while combat fishing (experience from Ship) so hopefully that rings true at the Russian as well.

Will look for some polarized glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    Be advised however that watching what others are doing "successfully" shouldn't mean (1) ripping the hook through the water and snagging fish with abandon; and (2) the daily limit is however many fish can be stuffed into a Hefty garbage sack ... 'cause you might be left with that impression
    That's what I meant.... my bad!