Thread: River Running

Default River Running

Just got a 19 ft free drifter with a 80 horse jet. What kind of advice do you all have for the rivers, beside becareful!!! I know it will take time.

Quote Originally Posted by CJT View Post
    Just got a 19 ft free drifter with a 80 horse jet. What kind of advice do you all have for the rivers, beside becareful!!! I know it will take time.
    Have a tool kit to remove your lower jet unit (shoe)... Make sure u at least carry a spare impellor and perferably a spare shoe too if you are running very narly remote sections of river... Practive removing and shimming your show and impellor.

The only other wise advice is never let off the throttle in shollow stuff... Remember too that u have no control once u let off the throttle. Memorize the river going up (cause going up is always easier then goin back down).

Last bit of advise is learn to balance the weight that is optimium for you particular boat... Balance is very improtant for fuel efficinecy and performace and will help u get on step quickly and not plow.

Default trees are not traction

Keep it between the banks and the bottom wet.

Default So true

flyfish is soo true..... been there done that!!

Yeah DO NOT HIT THE BOTTOM sorry could not help it.

One of the most counterintuitive aspects of driving a jetboat is that the throttle saves you more than slowing down. Drive with at least a quarter of your throttle left so you have that extra goose to slide over something or cut a quicker corner under power. As was said, as soon as you drop that throttle...whatever direction you were going.....you are still going....and you can't change it.

And come off step in deep water and idle in.....have at least one buddy with hipboots or waders for getting in to shore or starting up again.

And for pete's sake, wear a pfd.

But most of all have fun....jet boating is one of the most fun things I've ever learned to do.

Quote Originally Posted by CJT View Post
    The dog and I are going to run out to the Deshka on Sunday morning. Do you want to follow? I can also show you some of the river downstream of the Deshka if you want.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Default be carefull

If you plan on running some rivers in wasilla I would say stay off the little su there is alot of traffic on that river and its going to get worse. I was on that river this past week and was almost ran over on two different occasions.

Default Little su.

I 2nd the stay off that river when learning. I was there once using a flat back propped canoe. If it wasn't for the 9.8 hp quite 2 stroke motor who knows? Im not sure how others would manage a suprised boat coming around the corners.

I am a rook driver and last spring I went up 20 mile for bear it was real easy and I saw maybe one other wile I was up. just donít go up glacier river when you hit the split, it is a little more tricky. and like others said it is a lot easier going up than coming down.

Default Jetting...

When in doubt, power out!

Quote Originally Posted by inflatableboat View Post
    You should bring some tools along with you and of course first aid kit. power out usually happen so be prepared for that, i used to go to the river with an inflatable boat but it is really exciting.
    bugger off inflatableboat...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Do a search here for threads on how to extract yourself from the sand/gravel bar you will eventually hit. There is some pretty good information in past posts about the different tools and techniques.

Jim