Thread: New long range 338

Default New long range 338

I got rid of my 338 RUM last year in a fit of practicality and have really been missing it ever since. I know there was at least one griz that I would have shot had I had my RUM instead of my 300 winnie. I trust the winnie on a perfect shot at fairly close range but this was just over 200 yards and the angle was a little quartering towards me. The 180gr partition might have punched the shoulder and still done enough damage to the lungs to make for a short tracking job but I wasn't 100% sure and it was some really brushy draws close by that I didn't feel like crawling into after a bear with a bad wheel but with the engine still running. I would have been much more comfortable with a 225 TSX/ACCUbond, or 250gr Partition gold that I used to shoot out of my RUM.

I've pretty much decided on either having a RUM built on a stainless Montana Rifleman 1999 action with 26" barrel or getting a Rem 700 XCR and having a little work done to it. Either way I'll still have to get another stock, and on the XCR have the bolt converted to AR15 style extractor. It would probably be cheaper to go with the Remington.

I'm looking for a overall weight to be right around 8.5lbs and I think thats pretty doable with either action. My only concern that I have heard some horror storries about the Montana rifleman actions not feeding well. I don't really like the remington safety, but my smits makes a decent swap barrel out of the remington action and a swap barrel 338 RUM/404 Jeffery has some appeal to it. Any ideas or comments??

The problem I experienced with my MRC not feeding well were due to the wrong part being installed at the factory. Once they swapped out the part the problem was fixed. Caliber was 458 Lott. I would purchase another MRC in a heartbeat.
    I would pick it over the Remington based upon the fact the trigger will function better when ice and snow is encountered.
    For an Alaskan rifle the ss MRC in a syn stock is hard to beat. If you go the MRC route you are looking at about $900 for the barreled action and add anothe $450 for a McMillan stock (if you like the McMillan).

Part of the reason I was hesitant on the MRC was the several posts I saw about your lott. You didn't seem to happy a camper.

Remington it is then. I like the Enfield actions, now they are a bit on the heavy but built good. I believe you have one in a x62. I have a 375 RUM but don't need that kind of a hitter in all reality-got it sold I think, kind of giving this fella a chance.

That .300 win mag loaded with the Woodleigh 240PP would be a choice all around if you keep the impact velocities down. I have my .30-338 down to 2578fps at the muzzle so for the .30's I expect that to work, just don't have no field experience with them yet-accurate.

Could always go with a Lapua or a .338-378Wthby. With all the humdrum of if brass purchase in the RUMs kind of makes one think. I went looking for .375 HH brass and everything is backordered - without brass it makes one like me think.

I chose to go with the X 64 brenneke-go figure.

good luck

I doubt they will run out of brass anytime soon. I see there are plenty on ebay right now and its popular enough that it will be available for quite some time.

Default 338rum

Christensen Arms makes one and you can get carbon barrel and titanium action if you looking for lite. I just bought one and it was very lite. That is until I put the new scope on it. Now it is considered a "Crew Served" weapon : )

Default New Remington "Mauser"

There was a Remington ad in the latest American Rifleman magazine for two new models based on the 98 Mauser action --- controlled feed, claw extractor, etc. Theyre called the 798 (standard length) and 799 (shorter length).

Might want to look into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I got rid of my 338 RUM last year in a fit of practicality and have really been missing it ever since. I know there was at least one griz that I would have shot had I had my RUM instead of my 300 winnie. I trust the winnie on a perfect shot at fairly close range but this was just over 200 yards and the angle was a little quartering towards me. The 180gr partition might have punched the shoulder and still done enough damage to the lungs to make for a short tracking job but I wasn't 100% sure and it was some really brushy draws close by that I didn't feel like crawling into after a bear with a bad wheel but with the engine still running. I would have been much more comfortable with a 225 TSX/ACCUbond, or 250gr Partition gold that I used to shoot out of my RUM.

I've pretty much decided on either having a RUM built on a stainless Montana Rifleman 1999 action with 26" barrel or getting a Rem 700 XCR and having a little work done to it. Either way I'll still have to get another stock, and on the XCR have the bolt converted to AR15 style extractor. It would probably be cheaper to go with the Remington.

I'm looking for a overall weight to be right around 8.5lbs and I think thats pretty doable with either action. My only concern that I have heard some horror storries about the Montana rifleman actions not feeding well. I don't really like the remington safety, but my smits makes a decent swap barrel out of the remington action and a swap barrel 338 RUM/404 Jeffery has some appeal to it. Any ideas or comments??

Don't overlook the .330 Dakota, nor the .340 Weatherby, since these are up there with the .338 RUM and other super .338's. I have seen a couple of lighter .338 Lapua rifles at the rifle range in Fairbanks, but most are way over 8 pounds in weight. The LongBow .338 Lapua made by Dakota Arms is one of the heavy ones, but it's a beauty.
    http://www.snipercentral.com/longbow.htm

Talking My new 338 rum

I finally got the scope in. So my new Christensen Arms 338RUM has eyes. Along with the titanium action, teflon coated, carbon barrel, jewell trigger, graphite stock it now has a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 scope.
    I'm sure it will handle a griz just fine. Now if I can hold off until spring