Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Moose?

Default Multiple Moose?

OK, for you seasoned moose hunters out there, I was wondering how often do you have more than one bull show up at a time when calling?
    When you have a "hot cow" in the area is it likely there will be more than one bull very nearby?
    Planning hunt this fall and was wondering if I found an area holding some cows how productive it would be to sit tight and watch it for a few days to see if the bulls finally show up? Using some calling also at same site...
    Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    OK, for you seasoned moose hunters out there, I was wondering how often do you have more than one bull show up at a time when calling?
    When you have a "hot cow" in the area is it likely there will be more than one bull very nearby?
    Planning hunt this fall and was wondering if I found an area holding some cows how productive it would be to sit tight and watch it for a few days to see if the bulls finally show up? Using some calling also at same site...
    Thanks
    Randy
    Yes, it is very common to have more than one bull competing for cows and multiple bulls can and will respond to calling if there are multiple bulls in the area.

If you find the cows you'll eventually find the bulls.

If you find an area holding several cows and it's during the rut, I can pretty much guarantee that there will be at least 1 bull nearby and probably even more. Stick to that area and eventually a bull will show itself.
    I've called them right at dark to have them come right into camp while I was sleeping, waking me up with their grunts and brush thrashing, which can be pretty unnerving at first until you realize it's a moose.
    Calling moose is my favorite method of hunting them, especially in remote areas.

Default AK or others?

OK, will a cow moose come into heat with a calf by her side or is it a waste to watch over that combo?
    Randy

Default yes

i've had cows w/calves walk out with bulls in tow.

B

Yes, we had a cow w/ 2 calves hanging around the house last year. She was very pregnant and ran the older 2 off just before dropping the new batch. Talk about one moody moose to! Momma was very unpredictable during that time.

As far as multiple moose goes I tend to still hunt them in my area. I frequently find myself amongst numerous bulls and mixed groups. Several times I was in the middle of 3-7 animals the best was 5 bulls all within 65yds... none legal though, as seems to be my luck!

Interesting piece of advice I got last year from a native hunter. He told me that I would have a hard time sneaking up on a moose trying to be stealthy like a predator. He told me to worry more about sounding like a moose. I also stopped trying to guess exactly where the moose would be. I started hunting the area based solely on the wind direction. Once I put those two together I started seeing far more moose!

Default You might want to...

hunt Pre rut bulls, as the meat is better quality...just a thought...

Gonna be a trophy hunt gogoalie from the sounds of it.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default I concur wit you...

Marv...it does look as though it'll be a trophy hunt...you wise Marv, very wise...

Default Marv & Gogo!

My hunt is going to be in Northern Ontaio week of Oct 12th - 20th.
    I took my first and only moose ( 24" bull ) in 2004 in Ontario as well. Since my body is telling me to slow down this may be my last moose trip so I hope to hold out for something with a decent rack - anything over 40" would be just peachy! However, last 2 days if it has horns it will be headed for the meat locker!
    This has been an iteresting booking as I can only afford a trip like this about every 3 or 4 years for sure. I did a lot of looking and found this to be a very productive hunt. I booked last Sept and in Jan lost communication with camp. Owner lives in Mississppi. Not too concerned as winter can find many camps hard to reach. About late March I finally found out owner was not paying bills - manager quit - original owner of 27 years looks like he will get camp back as new guy of 5 years is defaulting!
    Original owner, Mike, invited my son and I to join him and a friend on a moose hunt from same camp as he feels very bad the way things have gone down. So, looks like it will end up being semi guided which is fine by me as long as we get there. All I need is a cabin, decent boat and motor and as much moose advice as all you guys can give me!
    One great asset has been a 18 year client that has hunted this area exclusivley and he has shared a wealth of info to wortk with. His group has filled out 17 of 18 years so the moose population is very healthy.
    Thanks for any and all advice as its very welcome.
    Randy

Default Smokey...<grin>

Shucks Smokey, ya should've told us you were talking about Canadian moose all along. They is much different and require different calling method.

Just make sure at the end of every call you add a loud "AY" <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Shucks Smokey, ya should've told us you were talking about Canadian moose all along. They is much different and require different calling method.

Just make sure at the end of every call you add a loud "AY" <grin>
    That's right ya hoser,

Might be a good idea to take a hockey stick to thrash brush with, there isn't a Canadian alive that can resist hockey!

Just hold up a bottle of ice cold Molsen's, that will get his attention...

Bushrat knows, he's right next to the Canadian boarder & needs to be very careful & listen intently to the influcations of tone in the moose calling around him...if he uses a Canadian call on an Alaskan moose, he don't eat. If he uses a US call on a Canadian, he don't eat...:P

Default Great!

Wow, I can see that I need an awful lot more gear, Molsens, hocky sticks, different calls - you guys are way too good to me - I feel like a little brother now!
    I am trying to find a flour orange "Tam" hat too !

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Bushrat knows, he's right next to the Canadian boarder & needs to be very careful & listen intently to the influcations of tone in the moose calling around him...if he uses a Canadian call on an Alaskan moose, he don't eat. If he uses a US call on a Canadian, he don't eat...:P

Marks best bet would be to sound like a drunk blond border cow.......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Decoys?

Anybody had any experience using some of the new 2 D moose decoys?
    I could see it being a plus when bow hunting - not sure with a rifle that it would be worth the effort to drag more gear along? If a moose can see the decoy he should be in rifle range I would think?

Default Making noise often doesn't hurt.

Usually when walking from spot to spot when I'm calling, I wack a tree with my call or scapulas every twenty feet and don't worry about breakin brush. The last one I got popped out on me when I was in the middle of a 400 acre tundra parking lot....I would clang the scapulas together, and then flash em like a bull does when he's displaying and just keep walkin along. I looked up from the rain and there he was at the edge of the clearing with me pretty much naked before god and moose. He was so fired up he came high stepping all the way out to me in the middle of that meadow with his eyes rollin and blowin steam....he didn't realize anything was wrong til I dropped to one kneed and cycled a round....but alas, he was too late.

I literally break out in laughter when I'm moose hunting as I'm bangin around the woods, it's a far cry from bowhunting whitetails when you were afraid to scratch your nose.

A very experienced moosehunter buddy of mine tells of several times when he was a ways off the water and he and his buddy would hear one comin....they'd make a bee line for the water and bang brush all the way. Essentially if the moose doesn't see you he thinks you are just runnin away and he said several times they actually guided that moose to within less than 100 yards of the water before turnin around and laying down suppressing fire.

Don't think too hard....it's just a moose. (god bless the venerable swamp donkey)

We once had 3 moose calling us at once. My buddy shot a 58 incher. The other 2 kept on calling the whole time we were quatering up my buddy's. The last thing I wanted to do was take care of another moose at the time, so we didn't even try to call them in. I use 2 caribou shovels for my raking/rattling antlers. They're small enough to carry and still have a great antler clacking sound.I got one of the Montana cow moose decoys last year and used it with no success. But I'm confident that it will work well when I finally see a legal bull moose in an open area (I live in on the road now, bulls are much harder to come by)
    Good luck.

Might want to tell him what to do if he calls one in and decides he doesn't want to shoot it.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast