Thread: Fly Help Please??

Default Fly Help Please??

I am planning on a Kenai Peninsula/Matsu trip during the 1st week of July and will be targeting both King and Sockeye. I've lived in Alaska for 6 years now, and know how to fish with standard rod/reel but just got into fly fishing last summer. During this past winter I have taught myself to tie flies, and have tied several of the typical Alaskabou, Flash, Rabbit Leeches, and standard Russians. I was wondering what other flies would be advised for such a trip....any help would be great.

The link below may be of use to you. Lots of patterns and gives info on tying them.

http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/esl.htm

Below is the link to my favorite fly shop in the world. These guys sell the best flies I have ever seen. The shop is Alaska Fly Fishing Goods in Juneau. Check out their website below and look in the "King" section for ideas on flies for kings. They have an awesome website...

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...-products.html

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Sounds like you've got the basics that cover AK, never hurts to have a few flesh flies (they work year round, and they are so easy to tie) and some glo bugs or beads and you have the pretty standard arsenal.

Hook with a piece of yarn tied to it works as well as anything else.
    Tennessee

Tie some yarn under an egg loop and you will do just fine.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Well let me start out by saying I appreciate any, and all advice. I have flipped with yarn before, and it does produce. I figured tying these elaborate "Aleutian Queens", "Evergreens", blue...green...purple...and silver "Karluk Flash". and every maribou possible would help. Is this not the case?? Haha, sure did waste a ton of effort and money if so. What about the sockeye, I tied some "montana brassie" flies, or something similar. Sparse yet bright, will those help coax a strike??

wolfrun01, I have not had a red strike my fly, yet, but many say that they will bite. I normaly use some sort of trout fly when fishing for reds, like a grey gost. It catches reds just fine and you can get bonus rainbows and dollies. For the yarn, I tie the yarn under the egg loop, not in the egg loop. I have had good sucess with this too. If you use black or orange yarn you will pick up some incedental rainbows. Have fun.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Question Salmon?

The first week of July is between the 2 red runs on the upper Kenai but they will be in the lower river. It is a little early for silvers, but the kings will start up for its second run on the lower Kenai. It is great that you have come to the light and have become one of the brotherhood of flyfishers. My Grandfather and Dad started me on a bamboo fly rod when I was five and that makes fifty years for me. My red fly is just a chenille body and a marabou wing top that any color combo can be used. On a good note, since you are between the red runs the rainbows and dollies will have gotten used to having salmon pieces and eggs and flesh and egg pattern/beads will be deadly(catch and release). A purple egg sucking leech is one of the best patterns for reds and silvers, but I reserve them for silvers in the large size and rainbows in smaller sizes and colors. I also found that a light or dark spruce fly will also catch reds, but don't be surprised that a giant rainbow has the same idea. Tight lines and have a great fly fishing season.

Thanks for all of the help you guys, hopefully this will be a productive venture. With the chenille/maribou flies....you say the colors don't matter? So far I tied some blue maribou/red chenille, red maribou/orange chenille, pink maribou/white chenille, and all pink....any other recommendations?? What about the Montana Brassie flies, or similar? I tied them on russians size 2 with thread down the shank, a smidgen of hair, and a 4-5 strand krystal flash topping (all matching colors basically)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfrun01 View Post
    Well let me start out by saying I appreciate any, and all advice. I have flipped with yarn before, and it does produce. I figured tying these elaborate "Aleutian Queens", "Evergreens", blue...green...purple...and silver "Karluk Flash". and every maribou possible would help. Is this not the case?? Haha, sure did waste a ton of effort and money if so. What about the sockeye, I tied some "montana brassie" flies, or something similar. Sparse yet bright, will those help coax a strike??
    No, those brassie's don't make reds bite either. The alaska version is a little larger ~#10, if memory serves, than the montana pattern, and has some white squirreltail on it. There is a story and a fly pattern on the web somewhere on catching reds on this; but it ain't so, at least for me. If a fly drifts in a red's mouth and you feel it, you can set the hook, I suppose.

A bare hook might work just as well. There is a moderator on this forum, Brian, who catches reds on flies.....he might better clue us in what this involves.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    No, those brassie's don't make reds bite either. The alaska version is a little larger ~#10, if memory serves, than the montana pattern, and has some white squirreltail on it. There is a story and a fly pattern on the web somewhere on catching reds on this; but it ain't so, at least for me. If a fly drifts in a red's mouth and you feel it, you can set the hook, I suppose.

A bare hook might work just as well. There is a moderator on this forum, Brian, who catches reds on flies.....he might better clue us in what this involves.
    So the Montana Brassie pattern tied in AK sizes does not work?

Wink Red fly

My all time favorite color is black. I tie the body in different types of black chenille, some plain others with some flash. I have also found that a two tone body(half and half) in orange/chartruse works really well for reds with an orange wing. Green works on chums and pinks. An egg sucking white body can produce reds in deep pockets and I tie this with a white or pink wing. A chenille version of the red assed bug can be deadly on reds in fast water. Hope this helps and tight lines.

Default Thanks for the help

Hey guys, I'm sorry I have been busy! Thanks so much for all of the help. This is why I moved to Alaska and would never leave! I will try each and every one of these listed, and be sure to report on the success (hopefully, haha). I made a few weird ones and hope they have potential! I hope everyone's fishing season is going well. Tight Lines!!