Thread: Stove comparrison

Default Stove comparrison

Many here seem to love the MSR stoves. I was wondering how the single burner Coleman stoves like the 442 compare? Thanks.

Check the archives - there are numerous threads regarding various stoves for float hunting vs. backpack hunting. For backpack hunting most favor the Jet Boil vs. MSR Whisper Light. REI has a good fairly comprehensive handout comparing all the various functions and features of the most popular available camping stoves.

Default Coleman 442 worked well

Quote Originally Posted by okbowman View Post
    Many here seem to love the MSR stoves. I was wondering how the single burner Coleman stoves like the 442 compare? Thanks.
    Last year on a caribou hunt I brought a MSR Whisperlite (great stove) as well as a Coleman 442. My opinion based on my experience... I actually preferred the Coleman over the Whisperlite as I was able to simmer the stove lower than the Whisperlite. For a coffee percolator, frying backstrap, and boiling water the 442 worked great; however I don't think there was much of a time difference boiling water between the Whisperlite and the Coleman. On the downside of the 442; its heavier and bulkier in a pack than the MSR stoves as you still need to bring some type of fuel bottle for anything longer than a weekend. If weight and a little more size isn't a problem I'd take the 442.

Thanks WhiteFish, that's exactly what I was looking for. I've checked the archives, but was unable to find a lot of specifics about how the 442 performed.

Brent

I've abused a 442 for many years now, and it still works fine. Easy on fuel, boils water quickly, and very reliable. Oil the pump every now and then. Minor weight and bulk penalty versus an MSR or a canister stove, but I don't really care.

I agree with this statement: "If weight and a little more size isn't a problem I'd take the 442."

I had one for many years as my only stove, before I knew better. Then ended up with a second for free. Still use it for car camping or short float trips, when I might actually cook in addition to boil water.

Also agree with the statement: "Oil the pump"

When I am talking about the whisperlite I mean specifically the "whisperlite international". The Coleman is an apples to oranges comparison in this case since we are talking a multi fuel vs a dual fuel. I prefer the lighter stove that can cook using the widest variety of potentially available fuel, especially when commercial air travel is involved since it doesn't allow the transport of white gas! Whisperlite Int for me when it is cold. I am still not about to give up my jetboil for 3 season use

Default MSR Whisperlite International

I am a huge fan of the MSR Whisperlite International as well. As Lujon mentions, fuel availability can be an issue. With the MSR, you don't have to worry about it. Just a rock solid design as well. I take an extra pump as it is plastic and the only real part that could fail/break. I also take the MSR Expedition repair kit. The biggest problem people have is preheating this model properly. I used to be one of those people. Until I heard from someone how to properly use the stove, I found it frustrating at times. Below is a link with some great info on using the MSR in winter conditions. Great info. When you open the link, scroll down just a few pages and you will see the article.

http://therucksack.tripod.com/rations.htm

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I vote for the MSR dragonfly. It is worth the money and I have not found any stove more versitle. I simmered a pork roast for 3 hours while car camping with it and barely made a dent in the fuel bottle. It is also the only stove I trust below freezing. It boils water faster than almost anything on the market, except the jetboil. But the jetboil won't work when it is realy cold.

Coleman makes great cheep gear for car camping.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/