Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chitina Reports?

Default Chitina Reports?

Anyone have any reports? I called Hem's hotline and it said the average was bout 19 per person today. Maybe worth heading down soon?

Is it open yet or last year's recording?

Default Chitina

Notice of fishery openings and general information are available 24 hours a day at 822-5224 in Glennallen, 459-7382 in Fairbanks, and 267-2511 in Anchorage. Be sure to call the recorded message before leaving for Chitina.
    The first open fishing period will occur during the first 10 days in June, depending upon strength and timing of the salmon run. Permits will be available at all locations no later than June 1.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...aykchitina.pdf

Yep it is open, please someone let us know how they are doing: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...3-RS-01-09.pdf

Default Hem's hotline #

For those that want it: 823-2200

19 fish per permit on opening day isn't bad at all.

Monday average was 19, Tue was 21, Wednesday (today) was a limit....doesn't get better then that. Gotta get this trip on the move. May be heading that way a day sooner then originally planned.

Says the river's rising....Should I stay or should I go? I hate these life altering decisions

It was also running a little low, so a rise isn't necessarily a bad thing. As long as it's not too much of a rise....lol.

I just found out I have to work Sunday, so I guess my original trip dates (Monday driving, Tuesday fishing) are back on. I was hoping to leave Sunday instead. Oh well. I'm still going to go, unless we have a typhoon or something...

coho slayer
    Sent you a PM.

Replied to PM, summit.

Well, the weather has been too darned nice over by Chitina, so the Copper River is way high and fishing now sucks. So, my trip is now officially on hold until conditions change.

My trips off too. Immediately after getting the middle of this week off to head down to Chitina its announced that you can't keep even one King! Toyed with a quick trip this weekend to Chitina but was too tired to do the drive all night and the charters don't run on Sunday. So its no kings for me. I'll just skip a June run and aim for mid-July at the earliest. Out of three trips last summer the Mid-August was most productive.
    Still might make a run down this weekend or midweek for fun and see how the road is beyond O'Brian Creek if nobody else posts a report.
    Kingless for a third year in a row.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Chitina View Post
    Still might make a run down this weekend or midweek for fun and see how the road is beyond O'Brian Creek if nobody else posts a report.
    Kingless for a third year in a row.

Any one have a road report beyond O'Brien creek?

Plenty of Kings last year - we must have hit it just right -

Thumbs up Chitna Results

Last Tues; 10 reds, 2 kings
    Wed. 14 reds
    Thurs. 19 reds
    Ended up throwing back 3 kings.
    These were caught between two inexperienced dippnetters...probably could have caught them faster, but we poked around and did some exploring.
    Brought an old 18 ft. flatbottom with a new Yamaha 40/30 jet.
    The drift fishing from the boat was spotty.
    Got the best results fishing from the bank.
    The boat had plenty of power for two guys and gear with a load of 19 fish in the canyon and did not ever scrape the bottom for the 4 days we were there.
    The wind seemed to pick up about 3 P.M and die down about 4 A.M.
    If using a boat of this size, think twice about going out in the wind....in the best of conditions it is somewhat challenging, with the wind blowing it was downright intimadating.....No sudden moves.....No second chances.
    No problems launching or loading the boat from the far side of the river by the bridge.
    Make sure you have gill netting on your pole. Not the heavier weave. Fished with the heavier weave nets on Monday and got all but skunked.
    Bought replacement gill nets in Chitna at $35 apeice ($10 here in Fairbanks)
    If travelling from FBKS. you might want to grab ice at or around Summit lake for free on the way.....Versus $3.00 a bag in Chitna
    Camping was free across the bridge on the right........heard it was $40 a night on the left side of the bridge.
    Saw a couple State Troopers cruising around....didnt see any checking permits.
    For-sure one of the funnest things to do in Alaska.....

Nice. You fished before the river rose. I wish I would have planned one week earlier, but I was trying to time it with the bulk of the fish. Now I might miss them altogether or wait for another surge later in the summer.

Thumbs down Theft in Chitna

Forgot to mention....someone ripped me off a 5 gallon container of gas......they did leave the other 15 gallons and didnt take my generator or fish.......left the keys in the door of my motorhome in my haste to get on the river......Could have really cleaned me out........Probably kids on a 4 wheeler.......

Just returned. Fished a few hrs Friday night = nothing, Saturday = nothing, Sunday a.m I finally caught ONE redd! It was painfully slow. The river was really on the rise and dipping just stunk - bad. Some folks did better than us but it was slow and certainly not worth the trip. We rode 4 wheelers down the canyon and bank fished.

The trail beyond O'brien Creek all the way to Haley remains the same as it was last year - no new slides that is. The road dept (state?) improved a couple of parking spots before you drop down into O'brien - that was nice.

I guess we will have to make another trip in July or whenever the report is good. Good luck to all.

Default No kings-that sucks

So did ADFG also cut the commercial harvest of kings or are we the only ones screwed (again)?

Quote Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
    So did ADFG also cut the commercial harvest of kings or are we the only ones screwed (again)?
    Just us.

Check out this site for more info:

http://chitinadipnetters.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
    ADFG has restricted almost all of the commercial fishing to the outside waters, where the king catch is much lower than the shallower, inside areas. I believe they only had one or two early fishing periods that included the inside waters and once they saw that the king run was weak, all the fishing was pushed outside.

Default Chitina charter boats are stopping!!!

Just called the charter hot line and it said the charter at O'Brian creek stopped operations until the flooding stops. Hope no one goes down there with out checking, it is a long drive from ANC. I guess my trip will be on hold.
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Just got home yesterday, the fishing was slowing down and the water was rising... Did get a king though. 20 reds - 1 king for 4 days of hard dipping. It was better the first day we arrived when the water was lower.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast