Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Close Call bear!!!!

Default Close Call bear!!!!

SORRY it lengthy but,a great read!!!!

Well it started back in April with finding a place to set out the baits. We found a place off of the Parks hwy. down the edge of a mountain in a deep drainage, we could see some really thick evergreen trees at the very bottom of the drainage from a overlook on the road ,it just looked like bear place. After finding a place that we could pull off and unload 4-wheeler we took off to the timber cutting a trail as we went.

We came to creek after about 1 mile of trail blazing and decided that this would be the spot for the bait site. The 3 key things to a good bear bait is 1. fresh water, 2.thick cover and 3.patience. Finally after an all day event of setting up the bait it was done. As you can see in the pictures we had a buffet of goodies for the bears with stuff such as pop-tarts,cereal,dog food ,molasses,honey,brown sugar and then to top it all off we added our secret little mix of goods we like to call "bear crack" its a mixture of jello,strawberry syrup,vanilla and marshmallow's.All you do pour it into a big pot let it boil and when its done you pour it over your bear bait and it turns hard like candy. Well after you have done all that, you just wait and check on it a few times a week to see if it has been hit. This is were your patience pays off ,after putting this bait out on the 9th of May we had our first hit on the 29th of May.

Here is were the fun begins, we " my buddy Pete and myself"went and checked the bait on the 30th at about 6pm and found that it was hit the night before, we were pumped to see the had been hit so we started to restock the bait and cook the bear crack,well as we were restocking the bait we heard something in the brush so we look up to see a bear running through the brush, so we quickly but carefully finished and climbed into the tree stands. After getting settled into the stands it was about 7:30pm and drizzling rain,we were not sure if we would see any thing since we had scared one off the bait earlier but we sat there with high hope's after about 1.5 hrs of sitting in the stand I had to stand up to let the blood circulate.

So I'm in the stand stretching and looking at my watch to see that it was 9:00pm and as I turn around to sit back down I noticed a black blob standing off at about 40yrds and I whispered to Pete "bear,bear there,s a bear" the big black blob slowly walked towards us. The funny thing is that it didn't go to the bait it went to the base of our tree. You see Pete had his pack at the base of our tree covered with tree branches and the bear must have smelled the marshmallow's in his pack because he was trying his hardest to rip the pack open, well after watching the bear tear into the pack for a few minutes Pete realized that his camera and GPS were in the bag so he started to cough loudly to get the bear to stop, but it just made the bear mad.

The bear suddenly jumps off a few feet from the bag and starts to pop his lips and gr-awl to show his dominance,after a few seconds the bear walked back over to the base of our tree and starts to huff and stomp the ground,now he is mad, he does not like the idea of us being there where his food is, he continues to huff at us when suddenly he jumps up and latches on to our tree with both of his front claws shaking the whole tree when he jumps. You can see in his eyes that he's going to come up and join us in the tree, instantly I yell"NO BEAR" and then Pete starts yelling at the bear, while Pete's yelling at the bear I'm trying to reach for my 357mag. but can not get it off of my pack, both of our hearts are racing 100 miles a minute as the bear claws at our tree, finally the bear calms down and gets down off our tree, he walked around aimlessly for a few minutes scratching his rear-end on few near by trees finally he headed for a shooting lane about 5 yrds away,as he goes behind a tree I draw my bow and as soon as he stepped into the clear I let a arrow fly.

The arrow pierced through his heart and lungs,a complete pass through shot. The instant my arrow hit the bear he roared spun around in a circle ran into a tree then took off running biting at where the arrow had hit.The bear ran a total of about 20yrds before he piled up. After the shot I could not stop shaking,and Pete looked over at me and said with a grin"If that bear would have come up into the tree I was going to jump to the tree in-front of me."After giving the bear time to die we got down out of the tree and went and looked at the bear,such a beautiful animal. Well we took some pictures and then the work started. We gutted the bear to make him easier to carry out, I cut a small tree down and we tied the bear to the tree and we carried it out on our shoulders. On the way out its all up hill, so we had to stop every couple hundred feet to take a break,but we made it back. This was the most intense and exciting hunt I have ever been on and can't wait to go again.

Brad Ivey,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 06-02-2009 at 14:30.

lol, nothing like a GOOD RUSH! Congrats........

I had one climb thetree I was in over a bait, the only thing between me and him was the grate under my feet! Never forget that feeling of crapping my pants!

Now that sounds like one heck of a bear hunt! Good job keeping calm and making a clean shot after wards.

Default exciting

WOW! Sounds like quite the overall adventure. What a rush. Congrats. Looks like your hard work payed off.

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

To be honest the wall-of-text was hard to read. Couple taps of the enter key between thoughts helps.

Nice job fellas, way to put it together...quote "our secret little mix of goods we like to call "bear crack" its a mixture of jello,strawberry syrup,vanilla and marshmallow's."..... sounds a lot like the orignal "bear crack," minus the vanilla by cameron hanes....

jello,marshmallow, sugar, syrup,

http://www.eastmans.com/cameron/2006...ck-the-recipe/

Good one.

The curious Bears are the ones that are the most interesting, at times.~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Smile bear stories...

For the great North American outdoors, nothing really beats a good bear story. If they don't end in tragedy, they are often exciting and funny as heck when told. As is yours. Our outdoor lives and conversations are much richer and exciting because of them. That was a good read, thanks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

Sounds like your as hooked as the rest of us..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Great story. Nice bear.

Brett

Holy stabilizer Batman!! Good story, man. Thanks for sharing. Hope you dont mind, I broke her up into some smaller paragraphs for ya for easier reading....

Good story and job. Sounds like quite an interesting way to be introduced into bear baiting and hunting. Glad you got your bear and shared your exerience with us. Now im not sure if I want to do a hunt like that.

Here is an image of a fella that had somewhat of a similar experience except he shot this bear in the head as it came up a tree to his stand.
    Needless to say this is not what he had planned on when he set up his black bear bait stand!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, hunt_ak when I wrote this it was abou 3am and I didnt proof read.

Thanks everyone for the response I like seeing what you guys think!!

Default wonderful story

What a great time and experience. Thanks so much for taking the time to share it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter1 View Post
    ...............This was the most intense and exciting hunt I have ever been on and can't wait to go again.
    of all the bears you will get in the future , he might just be the most memorable one of all

Enjoy

Default Awesome

Great hunt and great story! Congrats on your efforts paying off.

shphtr - that griz story would be worth hearing, how about a separate thread with the 411 on how it went down? I can't imagine the rush when THAT fella started coming up the tree..

Thumbs up bowhunter1

Way to go. Great story. I'll have to pass it on to some of my computer lame friends. Glad it turned out well.

M

Great story! I had one come up in the stand with me and a buddy two years ago. My buddy ended up knocking him out of the tree at a range of 3 feet with a 44 mag pistol. Funny thing is that he didn't even hit the bear, just scared the sucker out of the tree. He couldn't escape from the 405 gr Buffalo Bore though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast