Thread: Carpenter Ants

Default Carpenter Ants

Does anyone have an old "tried and true" method of keeping the carpenter ants away? In the south, we used moth balls to keep snakes away, and cedar mulch to keep roaches and other bugs away....just wondering if anyone had such a trick on these dang ants?!

What works for me is to cut back the grass and other cover a couple feet all around the foundation then spray malithyon (SP?) about a foot wide where the foundation meets the ground every spring. If you can find the nest (in an old stump usually) I have heard that you can kill them for good but I canít find mine.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

We thought we had found ours in a stump as well, but the search turned up empty. We were really surprised that ants had gotten this tree as it had always appeared nice and healthy. We lost that tree this winter and the ant evidence was amazing :-(

I agree to maintain a barrier around the perimeter, I use Diazinon which is becoming harder to find. It seems that every chemical that works is taken off the market. They can travel a long distance from the nest, but you can sometimes follow them back to the nest. In the end they will win, I just try to slow it to a manageable situation.

We have had some success using a 50/50 mixture of garden lime and sugar. Even though carpenter ants like wood, they also like sugar. They take the lime back to the nest with them and it eventually kills them. The only thing you need to do is keep the mixture dry.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default pesky critters

I don't like using the nastier chemicals unless I have to.

Buhach powder (ground pyrethrum flowers) sprinkled around the area of concern works well to deter ants and other bugs. You can buy it at many stores here. (Fred's carries it...) But like AKDoug's solution, it has to be reapplied after a rain.

I have to admit, that if I have a bigger infestation, I go buy those Ant Disks from the pest control section in the store (a couple of companies make them) and attach them in the areas that I see the most ants. I like the ant disks for two reasons. One, because they are contained, I am not spraying or sprinking noxious stuff all over the place. And two, I can staple those disks to a tree or structure and not worry about animals or kids casually grabbing one to play with or chew on. Then I can pick them up in the fall and throw them away.

I like AKDoug's idea though...I think I am going to give that a try next time.

Default soap

Soap and water will kill most bugs, bees. The more bubbles the better. Now for long term protection try boric acid or mule team laudry soap. A little sprinkle on all your mounts and a ring around the cabin. This will also kill some grass.
    I have heard but have never tried crushed or broken sea shells. A circle around the cabin will help also. Reason for the sea shells is when they break there is always a sharp edge. When an ant tries to cross a path 2 feet across, the ant gets cut up and loses legs and all else. Under a mircroscope the shells are still sharp so it is like walking on razer blades for small bugs. I only heard this, no experience.

After having some experience with a significant infestation over a long period of time I will say I am doubtful and very skeptical of the so called "organic" means for ridding them. Colonies get very large (thousands) even though you only see a few. If you are seeing winged ones they are queens and drones that are only produced from colonies that are very established and contain many thousands of individuals. Ants are survivors. Sea shells and soap will not stop them. If they detect something they don't like they reroute and/or move the colony. The way to stop them is to get a substance that they cannot detect and therefore will not avoid and will carry back to the colony to feed the offspring and queen. A perimeter of Raid or some other noxious chemical will not work as they will simply avoid it.

Ants need specific ant killers. Forget the "friendly" solutions. Kick their butts with a dedicated ant killer. You can find such products at Lowe's or Home Depot. Spray the "ring of death" about a foot up the entire perimeter of your foundation.

Carpenter ants will make sawdust of your structure if left unchecked.

Default Carpeter Ants

Amdro makes a whole series of products to deal with ants of all types in both granular and liquid spray - I've only had to deal with fire ants before but all that was needed was to sprinkle some along their trail or around the perimeter of the mound and the ants would take it down to the queen and within a week no more ants. The last time I bought the stuff I got it from Home Depot, I'm sure that Lowe's would handle it as well. It really worked well for me - Hope this is of some use.

Keep your stack of firewood away from the cabin. We had a problem with them when I placed the firewood right under the deck, easy to get to, but also a good source of food for the ants right next to the house, and I likely brought them along with the firewood.

I have tried this home remedy on net and found it useful. Combine Ĺ cup of powdered sugar with Ĺ cup of baking soda to make a remedy that attracts carpenter ants to a specified location. It is said that the ants will consume the sweetness, but since they cannot expel excess gas in their system, they succumb to the mixture.
    http://eliminateem.com/

A long time ago I had a carpenter ant problem up at the cabin. They were everywhere, there wasn't a square foot of ground you could look at without ants present. Now, I'm the kinda guy that can get along with all of gods creatures. But one night I woke up and I had carpenter ants crawling on me in the sleeping bag and it became WAR.

I searched on the internet and learned about carpenter ants. The carpenter ants you see are the worker carpenter ants. Their job is to gather food for the nest. They take food back to the nest where the queen and her attendants scrape it off them and feed.

If you just kill the worker ants, the ones you see, the queen will just make more to replace them. You have to kill the ants you don't see, and in particular the queen.

I found a product called killer ant dust to be effective, but I think they call it ant be gone, now. I had several nests in the vicinity. Ten days later there were no ants. I put this stuff around the perimeter of the cabin and where I thought the nests were. It worked.

I have an ant problem too...What is the name of the product and where can I order some? I also have dogs and a cat, so I have to be careful what stuff i use around the cabin and gardens...
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

I looked out in the garage and its called Ant B Gon, I think I got these containers at Home Depot.