Thread: I want to buy a plane when I get home from Iraq.

Cool I want to buy a plane when I get home from Iraq.

Well, the subject line says it all. I have decided that I want to purchase my own plane when I get home from the Desert. I'm saving my checks, and trying to read up on the subject so I don't end up underwater.
    My reasons for buying a plane are to build time and be able to fly all over this great state of ours. I don't know exactly what I want, but I do know kinda what I want to do with it. I would like to be able to take trips with a little gear and another person (I'd like a side by side seat plane preferably). I would like it to be easy on gas, as I want to fly it alot without going broke. I would like to be able to build a fair amount of time in it as well. I've decided I want to gamble with my future financial security and be a commercial pilot...
    So, all this being said, if anyone has any advise for me, please send it my way. I've been reading up on AOPA about this, and it seems like a good idea, but there are more than a few things to consider. Does anyone know a real top notch mech? What about a fair priced lawyer that can help with the paperwork? Anyone know of any bad-***** deals right now or in the near future? Anyone have any horror stories I should consider?
    Also, I guess, I am also looking to see if anyone would be interested in going in on a plane as partners. If anyone is hoping to do the same thing I am, it might be a better option, as we could get more plane for our buck.
    With all this being said, I will thank everyone for their time and I look forward to some good info.

Good mechanics are busy guys. You need to know about 4 or 5, and then find one who has the time to work for you when you need him.

What in the world do you need a lawyer for?

There are always good airplanes for sale. Good airplanes command premium prices. "Good deals" usually turn into horror stories.

Sounds to me like you want a Taylorcraft. Will do most everything you listed. Get a real good pre-buy done first. Hydraulic brakes are a big plus too.

Second on the Taylorcraft. Great little airplanes with lots of utility and a low fuel flow.
    Stinsons are great and inexpensive as well. Maybe an older M-4 Maule as well. My advice is to start with the best you can afford or get a partner/club and go with your #1 choice and split the bill.
    Consider if you want floats or skis and how big a wheels (i.e. what type of off airport landings will you be doing?).
    Hope you find what you want. Seems to be lots of deals out there right now.

Regards,

Beamer

I would get a Pacer long before I ever got a Stinson. Pacers are widely underrated.

Default options

If you really want to get your commercial ticket, knock out your private and the join the aeroclub. Come Oct, the post 911 GI-bill will pay 80% of your instrument and commercial cost(thats a little more than 20$ an hour). I know it cost me more than 32 for fuel an hour to fly my own plane. You will not have the freedom, but you will save probably over 10 grand. And I would suggest for you to learn to fly and learn your plane before you start doing remote or off field flying in Alaska.

Terry

Default GI Bill

Terry I didn't think the post 911 GI bill would cover flight training.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Alright, so I didn't know the Post 9/11 would pay flight training either, thats an awesome gig though... They are also paying E-5 bah, I wish this had been around when I first started college... The Taylorcraft seems to be widely praised here, after looking it up it seems like it just might be the right choice. As far as the lawyer goes, AOPA really recommended one. I figure that makes sense, as its an airplane your transacting and a snowblower or something... Any thoughts on the best Mech's in the area? I figured I'd go with the boss out here that has his A&P, but I'll wait until the deployments over to ask him. Last but not least, I don't want to do a huge number of off airport landings, as I'm cursed with real crap luck. Flying down to Coopers or Seldovia and the like will be good enough for me... Thanks guys!

T-Crafts are great airplanes, but only if you're average size or smaller. I'm 6'6" and will absolutely, positively not fit in one. I ended up with an Aeronca Sedan which I was very happy with. It's a four seater or can be used as a two seater and haul about all the gear you could use. If you're not into off airport as much you might also consider something like a Cessna 172. It has a bit better speed and range than the Aeronca's, Cubs, t-craft, etc and you won't be looking at a recover job in the future (like my ten year project!) With a heavy duty nose fork, the C-172 actually does quite well on the rough stuff too....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Default Flight training

I just retired from the AF and have the GI bill also, and want to get mine, I would also like to fly tailgraggers, so my question would be should I start out learning to fly a tail dragger or tricycle gear, the aero club only has tricycle gear types. Many experienced pilots told me to go downtown. I want to fly taildraggers to have more accessability to the mountains to hunt. I am set up already to have my own plane, I have a hangar and airstrip in my subdivision.

Default Flight training

I'd probably go elsewhere. You will wait for the fighters as much as you actually fly at Elmo. (Rented there for a time) As far as learning, I'd probably just learn in a taildragger If I had my choice (the cheapest way is to buy your own and rent instructor only). Why mess around if you know what you want to fly?
    As for the flying to hunt.....If that's your only reason, save your money and buy fly-ins. I initially got my license for the same reason (have to fly for a living now to justify it) and if you figure a good cub will cost 75k and up.....You can buy ALOT of fly-ins for that. 1.Someone else gets to beat up their rig and not you,
    2.you don't have to worry about it blowing over when the wind is 60mph,
    3.you don't have to worry about fixing it after you wreck it.
    4.Or when the 20k engine needs replaced, etc, etc.....Just a thought.
    Also, it will be along time ($$$$ in avgas/parts) before you will be competent to land in the short rough stuff. Just some stuff to think about.

Guys, the Knick flying club at Birchwood still has shares for sale. They are running two Citabria 7GCBC s. Several discussions in the archives.

Also my read is that while the Montgomery GI bill will pay for some flight training the post 9/11 will not.

Dave

Default flight training

After some research here is want I found with the GI bills

Veterans in enrolled in apprenticeship, on-the-job training and flight training programs cannot receive benefits under Chapter 33 (the new, post-9/11 GI Bill). Veterans can continue to use older education benefits such as Chapter 30 (MGIB). In order to qualify, you must have a private pilot's license and valid medical II class before beginning training. VA will reimburse you for 60% of the approved charges.

Terry

Whatever you decide on a thorough pre-buy inspection by a licensed A&P mechanic is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    T-Crafts are great airplanes, but only if you're average size or smaller. I'm 6'6" and will absolutely, positively not fit in one.
    Yep, I'll second that. I'm 6'2" and my knees were in the dash. The T-craft doesn't have much of a payload or performance. A Pacer would be a good deal. It'll hold two guys, gear and gas comfortably.

Tim

Bought my first plane in a bar. Sold my Corvette to the guy on my left and bought the plane from the gut on my right. Aero Commander Darter 100 I was 23 years old and did'nt no squat about planes or flying. Turned out to be one of the best choices that I have made. Now my wife wants us to buy a 185 or 206. But one plane is enough and i'll never get rid of the cub.

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Now my wife wants us to buy a 185 or 206. But one plane is enough and i'll never get rid of the cub.
    You are a lucky man. My wife is usually lukewarm about our flying (or more accurately hot and cold depending on whether in any given week the utility benefits her or she is pissed off about the associated $ ) - but occasionally she will shock the heck out of me when she asks about trading up to a larger plane - "can't we get something larger that will take my parents/friends/luggage to Whitehorse/Homer/wherever?" When I tire of the 170 I actually stand a chance at a 180 or Maule. Maybe.