Thread: Finding Amo in Anchorage?

Default Finding Amo in Anchorage?

I'm moving to Tuluksak this fall to teach and I'm wondering how hard amo is to find. The 3 guns I'm hoping to bring are a S&W 357 mag, Weatherby 300 win mag short, and a Remmingtion 3 1/2" 870 Express mag 12 gauge. Right now in Colorado finding 300 WMS and cheap 12 gauge 2 3/4" shells is easy. Stopping at over 20 stores I've found 1 box of 38 special and no boxes of 357 mag rounds.

I'll have a couple days in Anchorage before I head out to the bush. I'm assuming finding 300 WMS and some 3 1/2" 12 guage slugs won't be hard to find, or will they? I know the 300 WMS isn't the most common gun. What's the chances of finding 357 mag rounds on the shelf? Any ideas on how to order them/ where to order them from?

Thanks,
    Andy

Actually, AC and Swansons in Bethel both had a good variety when I was living there. Things might have changed, but I remember having a hard time finding 44/40 (this was before cowboy action shooting became popular) and was surprised to see that AC stocked it. Of course, who knows how long those boxes had sat on the shelves!...Louis
    Louis Knapp

Default Tuluksak...

will have a hard time with 357 Mags, & maybe 300 WSM (are you sure it's not WSM & not WMS?) But just about everyone out in the bush owns a 12g. 870 express... :P so you gud on your 12ga.

Bethel is a good place to get your rounds from, sans Anchorage...I just called Swanny's & AC & AC had the better pricing on 7.62x39...

Oops it's a WMS. Any ideas on shops to order amo from?

Default Sportsman Warehouse...

Sports Authority, Walmart, other gun shops in Anchorage, you could try some of the advertisers on this website...

Tuluksak huh? I'll call some of my people there...

AC is tying to get out of the biz cuz they are Kanuckistani owned. They have very little ammo left, the usual stuff. Swanson's has much more.

It really is too bad you cannot find large outfits that have the necessary knowledge to ship ammo. Usually you have to find a small boutique for them to ship. It is simply having the certs to pack and sign off the forms.

Best thing to do is buy before getting here.

Oh, you want a snowmachine, and you want to start learning Yup'ik yesterday.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Any ideas what shops ship amo in Alaska? I'm not sure how much time I'll have in Bethel this fall. I'm guessing I'll head there once the river is frozen though. I definetly plan on a getting a snow machine and probably and atv. I'm a gear head and need something motorized to putz with.

You'll learn that 2 3/4" and 3" are plenty enough for out here. WSM can easily be found in Anchorage, almost $50/box though.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

In Anchorage: Mountain View Sports or Great Northern Guns for the best selection - can't imagine that WSM and 357 would be a problem.

As others have said Ac,Swansons and Anvils have ammo.
    Anvils so far is the cheapest then Ac.
    Kwethluk Sports store does have some ammo for a pretty good price.

Marv1 is right on the shotgun ammo.

If you go to see Carl at Anvil he is a great guy. We do a ton of biz with him. PM me.