Thread: Glenn Alps - Williwaw Lake Report

Default Glenn Alps - Williwaw Lake Report

I hiked Glenn Alps to Williwaw Lake on Sunday May 23rd. The Chugach Hike book lists it as 8-9 miles but I think that is if you go up and over the Ballpark. The signpost leading off the Powerline Trail shows 5 miles making it about 11 miles rt from the parking lot. It took the dog and I 5 hours roundtrip.

The section below Little Omalley is very wet and muddy. There are plastic mats to prevent you from sinking to your knees but take good waterproof hiking boots. I just had trail runners on and had wet feet for the next 5 hours. Off trail is softer so stick to the mats in most places. The snow crossings had been previously post-holed by hikers making it easier to find solid footing. Great hike and very similar scenery to Rabbit Lake. Between the two I'd choose Rabbit Lake for the drier trail. But, Nothing wrong with this hike.

Leave the parking lot and turn right when you hit the Power Line trail then drop down to the bridge.

There's alot more Mt. Redoubt ash in the mountains then we got in town.

Still some ice on Williwaw Lake on May 23rd

thanks for the report. We were wondering about heading up that direction. That muddy section of the trail along side the middle fork won't dry out for quite some time.

Did you see any moose on your trip?
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Nope....no moose nor freh sign of them. There were sheep or goats on the south side of Wolverine Peak though. I didn't have binocs to identify them, but it was fun trying to figure out how one would sneak into their rock fortress.

Default just hiked time same trail 2x in 2 weeks.

Perhaps we passed each other on the trail... My wife and I hiked up to Williwaw Lakes on May 23rd as well. You're right, a couple sections are pretty muddy. Those were sheep on Wolverine Peak, we sat and glassed them for awhile. Quite a few young lambs in the bunch which were fun to watch. We saw several moose and the ptarmigan were quite active. More recently, we hiked this trail with some friends on Saturday (June 6th). The area was socked in with fog from the time we left Glenn Alps parking lot (9:00ish) till 2:00 PM. We kept having to reassure our friends (from the lower 48) they were missing out on some great scenery Luckily, when we reached Williwaw Lakes the fog parted for a bit and they were treated to some sights. Fogged back in till we got half way back down the trail. Only saw two moose (both bulls), two sheep (both rams) and one blackie on that trip. We watched a half curl ram through the spotting scope rub against an earthen bank to help shed his winter coat. By the time he was finished, he looked more like a black bear! Sheep picture taken through the scope. Even with the fog, it was still a great hike as we had the place to ourselves most of the day.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images