Thread: Family Fishing

Default Family Fishing

We have 2 small children ages 2 & 4 and I'm hoping to get out and catch some fish this summer, what is a good lake to try from shore in the Wasilla / Sutton / Willow areas?

Thank you!

A good spot for you in the Valley is probably Kepler Bradley.

I'd second Kepler-Bradley. You'll have a little more luck if the campground is renting boats/canoes so you can explore a little more. There's also an RV park/campground that rents boats on Matanuska Lake (Fox Run, I think the name is). There is also public access and a dock on Matanuska Lake just between Fox Run and Kepler-Bradley Lakes and I think there is also public access to the back side of Matanuska Lake also, but I'm not sure of how to get to it.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ail/LakeID/210

That look about right? All I can find in the reg book is that it's open from May 1 to Oct. 31 and you can't keep Rainbows. sweet! I can deal with that.

Fox Run RV park looks pretty nice but I don't really want to take them out in a boat yet.

rentalman...also, here's the link for Matanuska Lake.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ail/LakeID/221
    As I said, there's a dock/platform easily accessible from the parking lot at the state rec area...and in looking at the map, I now see how folks can get to the other side of the lake (the trail that goes along the east side from the parking area). That point on the other side of the lake is very nice...relatively flat and grassy...a nice place for a picnic and fishing. I don't know what condition the trail is in for the little ones to walk.

Thanks folks!
    Unfortunately there are no fish in Matanuska Lake... well; that were biting last night anyhow... It is very nice there though,
    We tried flies, wedding ring spinners, feather and rubber jigs... never even a bite....

maybe I forgot how to fish...

If your willing to travel, your 4 year old would love Valdez in Mid July. Your 2 year old might have a tough time if he/she is to small but you can help. Allison Point is the place to fish. There are occasional black bears but not really a problem. There are enough people around to keep them in check, they normally are dumpster diving. Your 4 year old would catch Pink Salmon until his arms fall off and leave with a permenant smile on his face. The bay literally gets full of pinks. My kids when they were that little use to hook them and run up the bank pulling in the fish. They still talk about it to this day at 14 and 21 years old. Give them a cheap rod with some 20 pound test. Put a steel leader on with a pixie. The steel leader will save you on loosing lures on rocks. If not re-tie the lure every other fish. Something to think about.

Default good trout

I have taken my daughter to a lake on the glenn hwy , between palmer and the highway, that usually always has trout. I dont know the name of it, but if heading down from palmer it is on the right, there is a little pull down, and a small bridge spanning two lakes. When that wasnt hitting we would go another few hundred yards down the highway and there is a pullout on the left, with a downhill(pretty steep) trail, and another good little trout lake.

That lake you are refering to is Kepler-Bradley. Put a small elk hair caddis on and your kids will catch small fish in the evening to their harts content. I think they just stocked it too.
    Knik lake is a good lake for kids as well. Down Kinik-Goosebay road. Have fun. :-)

So after fishing Matanuska lake for 3 or so hours last night I finally hooked a big one, mussel that is. never seen anything quite like it, it had a hell of a grip on my jig.

Default Worms!

Last year as I was walking away from Matanuska lake empty handed the nice gentleman with plenty of fish told me I should be using worms. I think I've heard shrimp work good too. So this is just heresay but I think for little ones you might try a bobber and bait.

I believe Matanuska Lake is single hook artificial lure only... but yes I have heard salad shrimp work great... Darn it's hard to be legal!

Would these lakes listed here be about the only options for fishing without a boat? I just moved to the area and don't have a boat to go out in to get access to many of the lakes around the valley. Granted I haven't gone around to all of them but they all look the same, private property abounding, no shoreline to fish from and really not very family friendly unless you have a boat.

Just looking for a place to do a little shore fishing with my son in the Mat-Su valley. Is 17-mile lake fishable from the shoreline? Any other walk in, shoreline fishing lakes would be very much appreciated.

Hit up Kepler lake today and fished from the first dock you come to. It's great for my kids (4 and 2) because the action is non-stop right off the dock. Be warned though, they're all in the 5-7" range and most of them had a hard time with the size 12 hooks I had. Take at least size 16-18 hooks and salmon eggs and you'll slay em and your kids will love it.

i hit loberg lake the other day with my two boys and right at the pull off to the water was loaded with fresh stockers, hundreds of fish in a tiny little spot...smaller hooks is the key to none stop action there as well. easy access. not much for shore fishing other than the pull off.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

NRA Lifetime Member

finger lake had a bunch of lil ones that just got put in by the boat dock. Wolf had some, and memory did as well.