View Poll Results: Which fly rod with a lifetime warranty is the best for the money?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sage Launch Fly Rod (@$225-$250, made in U.S.)

33 45.83%
  • St. Croix Avid Fly Rod (@$250-$280, made in U.S.)

13 18.06%
  • Fenwick HMG Graphite Fly Rod (@$180, made in U.S.)

4 5.56%
  • TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series Fly Rod (@$160, manufactured overseas)

12 16.67%
  • TFO Lefty Kreh TiCr Signature Fly Rod (@$210, manufactured overseas)

5 6.94%
  • Orvis Clearwater II Fly Rod (@$169-$219, manufactured overseas)

0 0%
  • Redington RS4 (@$230-$275, likely manufactured overseas)

2 2.78%
  • Redington Predator (@$199, likely manufactured overseas)

0 0%
  • Lamiglas G1000 (@$240, unknown manufacturing country)

5 6.94%
  • Lamiglas Traveler Graphite Fly Rod (@$180, unknown manufacturing country)

1 1.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which fly rod is the best for the money?

Default Which fly rod is the best for the money?

1. Sage Launch Fly Rod (@$225-$250, made in U.S.)
    2. St. Croix Avid Fly Rod (@$250-$280, made in U.S.)
    3. Fenwick HMG Graphite Fly Rod (@$180, made in U.S.)
    4. TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series Fly Rod (@$160, manufactured overseas)
    5. TFO Lefty Kreh TiCr Signature Fly Rod (@$210, manufactured overseas)
    6. Orvis Clearwater II Fly Rod (@$169-$219, manufactured overseas)
    7. Redington RS4 (@$230-$275, likely manufactured overseas)
    8. Redington Predator (@$199, likely manufactured overseas)
    9. Lamiglas G1000 (@$240, unknown manufacturing country)
    10. Lamiglas Traveler Graphite Fly Rod (@$180, unknown manufacturing country)

All I know is the st. croix avid is pretty mushy, i bought a 5wt a few years ago and it's a grayling/small trout rod at best....way too soft to throw big flies in the wind.

So I guess this is one vote NOT for the Avid. (I love St. Croix though....just not this rod for Alaska).

DEFINATELY depends on the action you are after. However I am partial to the USA made models. I'm voting sage launch.

On your list?

Toss-up between the Sage Launch and the Redington RS4 - both are mediocre at best, but they are better than the other options.

Not on your list?

Echo Ion - If you like fast action, this rod is OK and inexpensive.

Beulah Guide models - the 6wt is for launching line. All of your line.

My preference?

Winston BII-x and BII-mx - The (THE) absolute best rod for the money.

"Beulah Guide models - the 6wt is for launching line. All of your line."

That is awesome that they come with a spare tip section.

Wink

As far as the Winstons go, you must get a deal on them G-Smolt!

Chadakin,

My vote is for the Scott A2 4 pc 9 wt for $199 I told you about

The below info may help other folks give you better advice.

What rod weight are you looking for?

What species do you intend to target?

How much money do you want to spend?

Are you left handed or right handed?

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Anyone interested in the Scott A2 9 wt, it is at KK Flyfisher's website in the "sale" column. Brand new, lifetime warranty, four piece, 9 wt.

Looking around online just now I found a Scott A2 10 wt for $199 as well. It is at the below link...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default More information...

OK, here is a little more information to help folks with their votes. All rods listed are 8 weight, for silvers and/or reds, and under $300 MSRP.

danattherock: The Scott A2 is a 9 weight and has no MSRP because it isn't produced any longer (A3 is $335 MSRP). Your vote is, therefore, null and void so vote again.

Chad

I sent you the link to the Scott A2 as it is $140 cheaper than the A3 (current model). Awesome deal. For someone looking for a 9 wt that is. Guess when I saw you had bought the Ross Momentum 7-9, I just thought the deal on the Scott A2 9wt would be a nice fit for a salmon rod. Fly rods and reels have so much mark up. I buy most of my gear when the new models come out. Last years models are the only way to go in my opinion. In doing so, I have paid about 40-50% of retail prices on most of my higher end rods/reels. As for the poll, I voted for the TFO Lefty Kreh. Great rod for $150. Not a Scott A2 by any means, but a nice rod "for the money"

Default Other votes/recommendations?

Anyone else willing to vote/chime in on the best fly rod with the following criteria?

8 weight
    For silvers and reds
    Made in the U.S.
    Under $300 MSRP

Default TFO

My vote would be for the TFO TICR. I use one as a back up for my 8wt, and that thing is awesome. It is nothing fancy, not top grade cork, no fancy reel seat, but it is a line launching fool.

I have not cast the Sage Launch in an 8wt, but I have cast the 5wt, and it was one step above casting a wet noodle. If the 8 is as slow as the 5wt, I would skip this one, I think you will have better luck casting bigger, heavier flies with the faster action rods.

The Beulah rods have been getting nothing but great reviews, but they only come in 3pc rods according to their website. I have heard that they are coming out with 4pc rods soon, but I couldn't find anything to verify this.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post

I think you will have better luck casting bigger, heavier flies with the faster action rods.

Great advice given here.

Quote Originally Posted by chadakin View Post
    Anyone else willing to vote/chime in on the best fly rod with the following criteria?

8 weight
    For silvers and reds
    Made in the U.S.
    Under $300 MSRP
    My last post mistakenly included "made in the U.S." as one of the criteria, which is inconsistent with the original poll. I would prefer a fly rod that is domestic, but I am willing to consider all options. Sorry for the confusion.

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    The Beulah rods have been getting nothing but great reviews, but they only come in 3pc rods according to their website. I have heard that they are coming out with 4pc rods soon, but I couldn't find anything to verify this.
    I will verify this.

The Beulah singlehanders have been available as 4 piece rods all spring, but the old website hasn't been updated, and the new one - scheduled to launch in early April - is still as of yet in Beta.

Oh well. James and Margaret are down on the East Cape, chasing roosters until June 25th, so the new website probably won't go online until July or later. Bryce is probably holding down the fort, and he can answer all your questions, too.

If you need a good 8wt under 2 benjamins, look at this one. The new flights are $340, so you're gettin' a screamin' good deal on a great, brand-spankin'-new rod.

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    I will verify this.

The Beulah singlehanders have been available as 4 piece rods all spring, but the old website hasn't been updated, and the new one - scheduled to launch in early April - is still as of yet in Beta.

Oh well. James and Margaret are down on the East Cape, chasing roosters until June 25th, so the new website probably won't go online until July or later. Bryce is probably holding down the fort, and he can answer all your questions, too.

If you need a good 8wt under 2 benjamins, look at this one. The new flights are $340, so you're gettin' a screamin' good deal on a great, brand-spankin'-new rod.

Just sayin'.
    Thanks for the info on the four piece rods. Do you know if they are going to have the 4pc blanks for sale also? Do you know if they have any plans for a longer 3wt? The only one I see is 7'6", I would love to see a 8'6", or even a 9ft 3wt. I am in the market for a new 3wt for fishing out of the float tube, and that extra length really helps. Thanks again G_smolt for the info.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Just sayin'.
    I bought a 9ft 6wt FLI from Alaska Fly Fishing Goods when they first started the sale on them. It is a sweet rod. Fast action, lightweight casting machine. The rod G_Smolt posted is a smoking deal, as long as you don't mind the 2pc rod.

Jake

Default 8wt

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I was looking around on alaska fly fishing goods, and they have the same FLI rod that G_Smolt posted, but in a 4pc for just a few dollars more. If I were in the market for an 8wt travel rod, I would jump all over this.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

Jake

Out of all of the choices I own two of these. The Sage Launch and the Fenwick. I bought these in Washington for use on the streams in north Idaho casting dry's. I voted for the Sage since A) I own one, and B) I get further casts with it than I do the Fenwick. BTW, Lamiglas is made in Washington.

Just sayin'.
    James emailed me the link to the new site a few months ago when I was looking at their Platinum Series Spey rods if anyone wants a look at the new offerings!

http://www.beulahflyrods.com/newsite/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast