Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAG BAGS for sheep?

Default TAG BAGS for sheep?

Anyone use TAG Bags? Lightweight...durable. Just wondering of anyone says "Yea" or "Ney" on this product for backpack sheep hunting....I'm a traditional canvas guy, but I'm trying to reduce weight and space. I'd like to hear from those who have experience using this product. Thanks in advance...

Default Yay

I have not used them yet, though I have seen Mr. Bartletts Video tests on them and reports from others and they seem to do the job. I will be putting my money towards these bags this year. I like them because of the lightweightness and able to rewash them.

I have only used canvas in the past and have worked well too. But Im also trying to reduce weight.

I do know Mr. Bartlett personally and he is very committed in trying to improve/provide great outdoor gear for hunters and if he using them and thinks there doing good then I trust what is said they will do. If he wasn't sure about the TAG Bags then he wouldn't be using them himself.

By the way the new shipment of these bags will be here in about 7-10 days. You can still pre-order them on the site. www.Pristineventures.com I would imagine you will still be able to purchase them from sportsman warehouse like last year.

Just my 2 cents

Default Tag Bags Use

I have used them on Moose, Bear and Caribou and have never had any issues with them. They have kept them clean, bug free, and beath well. And they clean up nicely. Hugh weight savings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Used them last year on caribou and they worked very well. Nice and light and do the job.

Used them last fall on my goat hunt, first time I used them and I will only use them from here on out! Worked very well!

You can also buy them at Archer's Den in Eagle River and in doing so support one of our local businesses.

Default well worth it

alaska has taught me over and over not to use anything but quality gear and equipment.
    TAG bags are the best i've used. very light weight, keeps meat clean and dry.
    i also use citric acid spray.
    this combo has worked perfectly for me on moose, caribou, blacktails, sheep, and bear.

I am not about to run out and replace my moose/bou bags with them yet but when I am chasing mountain game they are in my pack for sure!

Default never used...

game bags for sheep. Buddy of mine brought some with him last year and they were light, so a good way to save some weight.

They are really great bags. The only problem I have is that the material is not as durable as I would like to see. They tear easily at the seams if rubbing on something like a frame pack when packing quarters. I ended up with holes in a couple of my moose bags after a pack-out.

However, they are easy to fix and clean.

Default Tag Bags

I've used them for 3 successful sheeps hunts and they are still in great condition. They are well worth the extra money as they will last much longer and work better than the traditional game bags IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Finley View Post
    I've used them for 3 successful sheeps hunts and they are still in great condition. They are well worth the extra money as they will last much longer and work better than the traditional game bags IMO.
    I have agreed with most all of the commentary on this thread until this post. There is simply no way that the tag bags would outlast the traditional bags. I have friends that have been using the same canvas bags for 20+ years often hauling out multiple animals a year in them and they may not look new but they still do the job. There is no way that you are going to get that out of Tags.

If you take care of them they will and I can just imagine what those "traditional" bags must look like after 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    If you take care of them they will and I can just imagine what those "traditional" bags must look like after 20 years.

I hope to see some longevity with mine, but I will be lucky to get a couple more hunting seasons with them. They do what they are designed for, and they do it well, but they need to be more rugged for the guys that shoot big critters and expect longevity.

Default Different......

We might be talking about different "traditonal" game bags here. The ones I'm refering to are the Alaska Game Bag style, the mesh ones. Those are the only ones I've seen other sheep hunters using. I'm sure you can make or buy some heavy duty ones that will last a long time but I sure wouldn't want to pack them on a sheep hunt!

Smile I dig this forum!

Thanks for the thoughtful responses guys/gals! First hand knowledge and "no-kidding" actual experience are priceless; I appreciate everyone chiming in. I've just put TAG BAGS on my list of things to buy for the great sheep hunt this year. Thanks for the pictures and the commentary. Good Luck to all!

Just to let you all know, Larry has a new shipment of TAG bags in stock so get them while you can, they will not last long.

Tried calling Archers Den with no luck, i guess their move may be related..any who..Is there anyone else in Anchorage-Matsu who sells them?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Need Somde

I need a couple more also. Tried calling Pristine but Larry has a message that he is out until the 24th or something. Anywhere to get the single bags?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I found another source, but I wont say where until I go buy a set LOL
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast