Thread: Chain Saw

Default Chain Saw

Any recomendations on a place to buy a STIHL in Anchorage?

I'm looking at the M290 with the 18" bar, any other recomendations for the cabin site clearing and firewood cutting use that I intend to use it for are also recommended.

Thanks

I would find the nearest saw shop and buy there so you can get parts and service when you need it. ...what ever of the major brands are sold. husky stihl poulan jonserud. A broken stihl is worthless if you have to drive 40 miles or wait a week for parts. Dan

Default Chain Saw

My cabin site is in Sterling so I would like to get a STIHL as there is a service shop down there although there is I think a Husqvarna shop too

Default Go Stihl

Here in SE most logging and personal cutting is done with Stihl. Get one of those but I would recommend a bigger bar. 24" is nice. In Craig on POW the salesman at Tylers said - "Do you want a saw or a toy?" MS 290 or bigger will treat you nicely.

Gooch

Gooch- The difference between SE trees and South Central trees is significant. I love my Husky 372, but I usually end up using my Rancher 55 and 18" bar around here..you don't really need any more than that.

I buy my Stihl parts from Alaska Mountain Magic in Talkeetna, but if I'm stuck buying parts in Anchorage Jackovich Industrial on Post Road has always been good to me.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I bought a 290 last year for clearing my house site and ended up getting the best price at United Rentals in Anchorage. Jackovich was a good $30-$40 higher and didn't seem really interested in making the sale .

You will love the 290 BTW, it is a mean machine for its size!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....