Thread: Charging a battery on the road?

Default Charging a battery on the road?

I'm heading out to Long Lake on the glenn by chickaloon tomorrow. I will be there a couple days using a trolling motor. How can I charge it without an electrical outlet? Any fancy devices on the market?

Generator to power charger is about the only thing I know of. There is a way to charge a camper battery from a vehicle while traveling but I don't think you want to try to jerry rig something like that just for a trolling motor battery, wouldn't be very economical. A good deep cycle out to last you a couple days unless you're running full time.

Yeah its a smaller battery and I'll be running it alot hopefully. So will need a charge.

I once saw an alternator with a fan blade on it. Guy had it mounted on the back of his truck so boat battery was charged as he towed it. Is it windy where you are going?
    NRA Lifetime Member

couple ideas....trade battries with the truck and let the truck altnater charge it or http://bluesea.com/category/2

I've just hooked up jumper cables to it and ran my truck for a couple of hours and got the charge I needed. Not sure it's the best way but it worked for me.

I did forget one thing, you could pick up a solar charger, it would help at least and you could leave it hooked up whe whole time.

The most efficient method of charging a battery is to charge one battery at a time.

The cheapest way to do this is to use quick disconnect welding connectors and you’re truck. Mounting a battery box under your hood if you have room would make a simple and clean insulation.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I actually just bought an adapter for the truck cigarette lighter, pluggged my charger into it and it worked. I figured it would need too much power for the adapter to handle but it seems to work fine. I'll just leave it on the trickle charge setting to be on the safe side.

So the battery is small and you are wanting to run the motor a lot. Dont see a good way to do this without another power source. I would suggest solar power if you dont have generator. Other thought would be the jumper cables and some extra gas for the vehicle. I would also bring paddle just in case the bites on but you need to get another charge. Dont forget another set of arms.

If you are going to do this often I would get something like the Yandina Combiner and add an extra battery tray to your truck. I have one of these on my boat and it works slick. Just 3 wires to connect. Once the main battery gets a full charge it senses it and starts charging the other battery. I think this could work well for your application. This way you would have a fully charged battery from the drive and could recharge by taking a drive or starting your truck or vehicle. You would also always have an extra battery for your vehicle if needed. Just a thought.