Thread: Clear Creek (talkeetna) Float

Default Clear Creek (talkeetna) Float

Looking to find some who could clue me in on how the float goes for the clear creek up north of talkeetna. can it be done in a 9.5 foot round raft with two guys just paddling or does it need a serious raft/helments and rowing frame? any insight would be great, thinking of floatin' in july. i've floated rivers before in canoes but never in a raft...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

BRWNBR are you looking to float Clear creek or the Talkeetna from Clear creek? If your looking to float Clear creek, how far up are you looking at putting in, and how are you accessing it?

trout, i'm looking at clear creek, just about from the forks at the top, i've got a way to hike into it with the raft all thats figured out..just trying to see how the river is from the old mine on down to the talkeetna...
    Master guide 212

I've never been up as far as you're looking to go, but I do know that it gets very very boney and can be very low. Not so much in the way of whitewater, at least as far as I have seen. Could be a real pain picking your way down through it though.

Anybody ever use a heli out of Talkeetna to access Clear Creek? I think there is/was an outfitter that was running this trip. I called the heli operator in Talkeetna last year and left a message, but never heard back. From a trip report I read here on this forum last year, it sounded like a great fishing trip.

If you plan on running the canyon, I would strongly recommend using a larger(13ft. self-bailer is ideal) raft. Better yet, take two rafts with at least 2-3 able bodied people in each raft. Go light on luxuries. Makes it much easier portaging around the numerous logjams that come up on you fast. There's a good couple hours of whitewater in the canyon. Definitely not a trip for the inexperienced. Lots of bear activity as well. Used ERA in the past, but they are no longer operating out of Talkeetna. Don't know who's doing it now.

couple hours? isn't that stretch only about a mile long? where have you been hitting all the log jams at? i flew the river yesterday and saw none(waters high now though), exspecially from the canyon down to the talkeetna, one house thats about to fall in the river though...
    Master guide 212

Default This rings a bell

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=helicopter

rhd removed his video from youtube. I spent many a time watching that thing and dreaming about catching rainbows. His album on photobucket I think is still up.

If the water level is steady I don't think its anything out of your comfort range.
    However, Ive seen it rain for three days in the high country and I would'nt get within spitting distance of that torent.
    Good place to introduce your lungs to the concept of breathing water after serious rain events in the hills.

If you called John the heli man, and he did'nt call you back don't feel left out. If he has the ship in the air,and does'nt answer, just call again when his feet are on the ground, best way to get ahold of him.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    couple hours? isn't that stretch only about a mile long? where have you been hitting all the log jams at? i flew the river yesterday and saw none(waters high now though), exspecially from the canyon down to the talkeetna, one house thats about to fall in the river though...
    It varies from year to year. One year there were seven different portages. All upstream from the canyon. The last time we did it was just after the big flood(sept.06) I think there were only three. One of them was a real Doozy. In a couple places Entire sections of the creek had rerouted. The canyon section is definitely more than a mile long.

ok i can see where there'd be trees on the upriver end. maybe i'll just take a light raft and portage the canyon for a couple miles rather than try to float it. the lower rivers pretty easy float from what i can tell, a couple little shutes but nothing an inner tube can't handle?!
    Master guide 212

Default September Float

I floated it last september for 4 days in an 18 foot cat. Great time. Send me a PM for more info. A helicopter dropped us off at about river mile 30.

Cody

Smile Clear Creek to Talkeetna confluence

Very doable and good fishing... Routine Bear sightings will confirm this.

As some said a 13'-14' boat is better for two... & pretty darn sure once you are there; you won't want to turn your float into a hike around stuff.

Can you take a 9.5'? --- 4 sure!

Back in the day the AVON adventurer in 12' and Redshank in 10' was the common variety in a non-bailer. Today, I'd like a 1 person cat for the trip. In your case 2 one man cats, an AIRE Traveler or slightly bigger raft/cat than 9.5'... we've got 'em all if ya need 'em. I'd plan on 3-4 days as a good float plan, and stay up high on the creek as possible.