Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a Georgia boy get some help?

Default Can a Georgia boy get some help?

How y'all doing?

I'm coming to AK next week (not my first trip) and I'm going to be in Seward for a few days and then Fairbanks. I want to do some fishing in the Seward area. I will be shore fishing for Kings, probably near Lowell and the waterfall, unless there are other places I should try. I am bringing a couple of medium 8'6" polls and want to know if I should use some Ambassador 6000 series reels or should I use a larger off-shore Penn reel? And, what pound of test line?

I understand that snagging it good for the kings in Seward. What size of weighted treble hook?

Is there any other setup to catch the Kings? I read about a float with salmon eggs. Or I heard some people use lures like spoons.

Is there any good bottom fishing in the bay around Seward? Here in GA, we bottom fish for whiting and flounder. I could bring some bottom rigs if there is.

I also want to do some stream and lake fishing north of Seward, for grayling and dolly varden. Is there any trout to catch now?

I apologize for all the questions and I have read a lot of posts here on the board. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

I dont know about that area but please dont snag ... how would you like it if some out of stater came to Ga and had there way with your sheep? thats what you are doing to the kings when you snag.

I have used Ambassador 5500 so your 6000 should work just fine. I have used snagging hooks with them as well. While some people may not think snagging is fishing it is a legal way to catch kings in the salt. When it is all said and done I am not sure a king cares whether they were snagged or hooked in the mouth. Either way the result is pretty final.

I have also used herring on a mooching rig under a bobber. It returned mixed results. I am not sure floating eggs in the salt will be as productive as floating eggs in the fresh water because it is not naturally occurring in the salt, except at the mouth of a river.

Casting big spoons, Pixies or Vibrax will work pretty well. It also camouflages the fact that you may be snagging,

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
    Last edited by Tolman24; 06-01-2009 at 11:21. Reason: typing sucks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bentfin View Post
    I dont know about that area but please dont snag ... how would you like it if some out of stater came to Ga and had there way with your sheep? thats what you are doing to the kings when you snag.
    Oh, okay. Well from what I've read, that is what a lot of people are doing in the Seward area from the shore. I have no problem hooking them in the mouth, as long as I know what to use. I know when I was in Kenai a couple of years ago, we just used hooks with colored yarn. And we definitely didn't snag them.

i think the reds will be running on reserection creek and you can snag 6 a day there.
    you can pick up wieghted hooks at the hardware store the smaller ones work the best..
    I sent you a pm..

Snagging in salt water is legal. I say that if you want to snag for kings out of Seward then more power to you. Go to the Fish House across the street from the Harbormaster office and ask them about which snagging hook to buy.

If it's leagal go for it. but I dont see any sport in it. if you are in it for the meat why dont you see if you can set a gill net out.or throw some dinamite.

Snagging is legal in salt water in Seward, go for it. Those Ambassadorreels are fine. The snagging act is tough on line & gear and the hooks are tough on the neighbors if you are not carefull. Check with Miller's Landing on Lowell Point for bottom fishing or evening charters for rockfish. Good luck & welcome to Seward

Please stop trying to make it seem like snagging is some type of sick offense. Snagging is perfectly legal and is 100% accepted as how to fish for salmon in Seward. His location has nothing to do with anything and you are just making yourself look stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    How y'all doing?

Is there any other setup to catch the Kings? I read about a float with salmon eggs. Or I heard some people use lures like spoons.

Is there any good bottom fishing in the bay around Seward? Here in GA, we bottom fish for whiting and flounder. I could bring some bottom rigs if there is. .
    Welcome feller Southerner! Ya might try using a search engine (Yahoo, Google, etc) and research Pixee spoons.

When it comes to snagging, if its legal then try it. Some may question the ethics of it; but remember what we know of flounder gigginig at night, using artificial lights and gigs: Some call it hunting; some call it fishing! The choice is of your own choosing.

Post some pics of your upcoming trip....Oh, and welcome to the board!

Default Ga Post....being a 'Bama boy myself

and having spent some time in California, though I don't like to admit to that, and known to have engaged in "flounder stompin" and thinking it mighty sporting, why you just have yourself a ball trying to snag some AK salmon, just don't get carried away in a place where there's other people with ears and such!

Yep, you move slowly in very shallow water and stomp on the flounder, what's more sporting than that? Now, imagine "doodling" a catfish by moving around in dark water, feeling for them with your hands up in structure, and grabbing them in the mouth.....oops, no fly rod, that ain't sporting! Give me a break, I know a guy trolls with a big flasher and a herring behind a big "fly" (think hoochie) so he can say he only fly fishes!

Get off the guys case, the only time fishing in any manner isn't sporting is when it harms the population, like the guys that fly fish 50 kings a day doing "catch and release", and kill 10 times or more fish than the guy that snags two and quits!

Welcome to the forum man.

As for snagging, I had never heard of it until I got to Alaska. Certainly not something a southerner invented

Saltwater around Seward, not my thing. I had a nice day out for halibut with Puffin Charters once. I don't do much fishing in saltwater (in Alaska anyway). But you mention trout/dollies/grayling, I have a few ideas. Consider driving up to Cooper Landing and going to Troutfitters. Fly shop and they have some very well respected guides. You could do a hike in trip and many options for drift boat/raft. The Upper Kenai is a good local option. Not sure about opening day for rainbows, may be June 13th. But I am just guessing here. Email them and perhaps arrange to have them take you out one day. Another option closer to Seward, Scenic Mountain Air in Moose Pass. They could fly you to Upper Paradise Lake and you could fish for grayling there. Solitude, nice scenery, and tons of grayling. There is a state cabin (only one on the lake) with boat you could rent for about $45/night. Links to some websites below if any of this catches your interest. I am sure you will have a great trip man. Be sure to post some pics upon your return.

http://www.scenicmountainair.com/

http://www.aktroutfitters.com/

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

how would you like it if some out of stater came to Ga and had there way with your sheep?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Actually its called Noodlin and I know because my home state of OK claims to have invented it as for snaggin if its legal then get after it its all fishing and it all fills the freezer. The fact that its a heck of a good time is just icing on the cake. I miss all the so called by some unsportfishing that I used to do back home, snagging gar and carp, bowfishing, noodlin, jug lining, trotlining. You know the fun stuff. Anyway however you end up fishing have a ball and be safe.

some of the fish that i've snagged we're a lot better fighters than those hooked in the mouth. despite what people may criticize it is effective.
    i attach my trebles like this
    |
    |
    hook
    |
    |
    |
    sinker
    this way the hook come over the fishes back and the sinker allows you to essentially to get a chance at setting the hook any in its side
    hope it helps
    post pics

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Actually its called Noodlin and I know because my home state of OK claims to have invented it as for snaggin if its legal then get after it its all fishing and it all fills the freezer. The fact that its a heck of a good time is just icing on the cake. I miss all the so called by some unsportfishing that I used to do back home, snagging gar and carp, bowfishing, noodlin, jug lining, trotlining. You know the fun stuff. Anyway however you end up fishing have a ball and be safe.
    Jug lining catfish at night was a blast. A case of beer, beef jerky, a couple of bleach bottles, a flashlight, and a row boat. All the gear needed for a night of fun. A little bug dope or a cigar might be needed for the pesky skeeters. New Mexico fishing at it's finest.

Thanks for all the help, seriously. Yeah, I will probably try some Pixies and if that doesn't work, will try some snagging. In fact, my local tackle shop has some decent weighted snagging trebles. I will probably also go up the Seward highway to some of the easily accessible creeks or lakes. Might even try some bottom fishing. I will also be going to Fairbanks where I have relatives. I heard the grayling are great on the Chena river right now. I'll let you all know what happens. And yeah, I will use my ambassadors and i have a couple of small spinning and casting reals for the smaller fish. I guess I'll load up my ambassadors with about 30-40 lb test.

I know your excitement, GA! I have to reside in this state for 12 consecutive months to be considered an Alaska resident. So what
    does that mean? I can't dipnet for REDS but my cousin can! Guess
    I'll have to sit by and watch? Nope! I can use a rod n reel instead!

Oh, and don't forget the excellent catfish in Kenai River. I heard
    they were just as tasty as those back at home!

[QUOTE I can't dipnet for REDS but my cousin can! [/QUOTE]

My cousin said to throw the REDS back if they speak Russian
    or the NKVD will find ya and put ya in a Gulag. He said it has
    something to do with Russia and Georgia... Oh, well...

Default Snag away Southern Boy

Also from the south here, and thought that snaggin fish was chicken S@*t
    but it is pretty common here in Ak.
    Noodling not doodeling was invented in La. I thought? just used in Ok. beacuse they dont know how to use rods and reels!
    Sorry Tx. boy here had to do that Ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast