Thread: Hatchers Pass ride 29/05/09

Default Hatchers Pass ride 29/05/09

Had the day off on Friday so we decided to go up to Hatchers and try to find a bear, black or brown didn't matter to me. We took the Blacks Creek trail and man is that thing getting torn up, rocks of all sizes and rutted.

Once we got to the top the trail got better and made the ride to the "not so secret" spotting location, we settled in for some glassing and hot coffee cooked up on the Jetboil. Weather was crappy, low hanging clouds and cool temps.

After about an hour and half it started to snow so we lit out of there for a ride to a section I had never riden before. Trail going down to Peters Creek was a twisty and tight trail with lots of rocks and tree roots to navigate over. Got to the creek and crossed it with no problem.

Took the trail up and over into Peters Creek valley and rode about 6 miles or so before turning around. Got to play in some mud and several creek crossings but again, they were no problem. Rode up to the cabin and found a couple of guys there that were looking for black bears but saw nothing but moose. Oh yeah, they walked in from the Blacks Creek trailhead, said it took them 5 hours to get to the cabin and I suspect it probably took them a bit longer to get back out.

Turned around and went to the Purches Creek trailhead. Rode another 3-4 miles in and stopped to do some glassing, notta. Finally we had to get going and on the way back out we ran across a set of brown bear tracks and saw where said bear had lost it's plug. Didn't remember seeing them on the way in but we think they were a few days old. Ride out was uneventful, other than my friend running out of gas. I want to go back into Peters Creek valley again and try and go further back, anyone know how far back that trail goes?

As an aside, there's going to be a fairly good sized minin camp in there this summer so access might get better but only time will tell.

Sounds like a great ride. Where can I find this trail? I haven't done any riding off Hatchers Pass. P.M. me if necessary. Thanks.

PM sent fishkill.

Sounds like a fun trip, havent made it to hatcher for 4-wheeling yet this year. Cant wait to go though.

It was a blast and i'm going back there maybe on Saturday to ride further back into Peters Creek Valley and see how far it goes.

AkHunter,

There is a group of us that go up to Hatchers a couple of times a year and we do quite a bit of riding. We have ridden about every trail out there but this one doesn't sound familiar. Can you give me some insight as to where the trailhead for this trail would be?

Thanks!
    Dan

Default Great Trail

I have hunted peters creek drainage behind hatchers pass the trail go about maybe 4 miles pass the small cabin lots of grizzlys in there 4 years ago i shoot a 3 brow tine 50" bull out of the head waters of peters creek i went 6 miles passed the last set of 4 wheeler tracks. Spoted that bull hideing in the last patch of alder up there from the super cub great hunt took 2 days of hard work to get that thing out to the road.

I would love to shoot a grizzly in there, i've seen some big one's from the top of the big hill before Purches Creek but they either give me the slip or the season is closed. Use to moose hunt there too but now there's too many hunters, i've had as many as 15-20 moose surround me at one time but not any more.

Torg84, are you going up Blacks Creek trail, the one that's past the lodge and is covered in water all summer? That's the only way I know to access that area.

We always camp down below the lodge on the Willow side. There are quite a few trails down there but I don't think we have ever ridden the Black Creek trail. At least it doesn't sound familiar.

I've only ridden the trails off of Shirley Town road and the Blacks Creek trail, both can be tough going. Go past the lodge about 3-4 miles and the trailhead is on the left covered in water.