Thread: Sheep and Skeeters question

Default Sheep and Skeeters question

Question for you experienced mountaineers:

Only sheep hunted once; it was Sept last year and this was not an issue. I'm doing a solo 10 day hunt this year in the Alaska Range 08 Aug - 18 Aug. Would you experienced mountaineers take bug dope or bug barrier with you on a hunt like this -- or neither? A small bottle of bug dope and a head net weigh (which I have) about the same. I'm counting every ounce and shaving what I can. Thanks for your thoughtful responses.

Last year in DCUA (early season), we had zero trouble with bugs. Obviously the area you plan to hunt as well as any number of other factors could be different, but that has been my experience.

Never had a problem with skeeters on a sheep trip. Alot of mountian ranges up here tend to always have a light breeze going on that i noticed keep the skeeters down.

White socks and biting flies are more prevalent in that high country. But seriously, 1 or 2 ounces is a concern ?

Take the bug dope.

Default Bugs in the Brooks Range

Sheep Hunted last year in the Brooks, zero skeeters and zero arctic flies, It never fails when you bring the head net and bug dope they are never around, we also had great weather ( 8-18 Aug) however the year before, arctic flies were bad, I had to cut up one of my game bags to put over my mouth and nose to keep from inhaling those little tiny flies, also had to put on a pair of sunglasses because they got into my eyes, Talk about being unprepared.

Skeeters, etc. usually not a problem....but when they are, they are usually a big pain in the *****. I like to think I sometimes learn from experience - I always bring a small amount of bug dope without regrets.

Thumbs up Alaska has bugs?

Bring a small deal of bug dope. Occasionally the white-sox can be vicious if the wind is not blowing during an early season hunt. The wet area on a DCUA walk-in hunt can be an unpleasant few hours without any bug dope. But generally speaking, I agree with the other post contributions.....I always take some, and very seldom use it.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default Thanks

I think that after reading everyone's comments, yes, I'll toss in the bug dope. I'll leave the headnet at home. I just needed to hear from others that they've been bothered by the skeeters when early season sheep hunting. Thanks to everyone, and good luck this season.

Default Bug dope for sheep hunting

Get the Bens Wipes, they come in small packets and weigh practically nothing. it was recommended by I think Shphtr or Chisana or one of them veteran sheep hunters.