Thread: I was a sinner on POW

Default I was a sinner on POW

Just returned from my second trip to POW, and it was a great hunt. I did not harvest a bear( I had an almost, but you can not eat those) but my son-in-law got his first, it was a male approx. 6-8 in length. My first time there was four years ago and I was fortunate to take a 6 foot male and it was my first blackie so I am certain that I will be getting a lot of slack about his being larger. I knew from my first hunt that a people doing business on POW did not like bear hunters for several reasons. Some people that rent skiffs would not rent to bear hunters because other hunters had either beached the boat or damaged a prop. Some lodge owners would not allow bear hunters and a few car rental companies would not rent vehicles, as one owner told me that bear hunters had put a log through the side of a vehicle.I knew all this four years ago, what I did not until this trip is the local residents have a greater hatred for bear hunters, When you tell them you are bear hunting they automatically classify you with the prostitutes, thieves and politicians, As one local told me he watched the cubs starve to death as a result of hunter taking the sow. One lodge owner said he had five hunters once and all of them shot sows with cubs. I also saw plenty of evidence where hunter sighted their rifle in on road signs and bridge markers. I could go on but there is no need to the bottom line is our predecessors have done plenty to tarnish our image and there is little we can do for the sins already committed. I post this only in hope that others will read it and not repeat the same mistakes as there are new laws coming as a result of the actions of the past.

Default Thanks

for the post - it is a good reminder that the future pays for the sins of the present. We all need to be aware of the effect we will have on those who follow us.

And that comes from an "old geezer" with 60+ years of hunting under his belt.

Of course, I should add that it's easy to conjure up a reason IF you have already decided to "hate bear hunters" or others. I have hunted in places where people just don't like hunters so they come up with all kinds of reasons to justify their opinion.
    Last edited by Phil; 06-01-2009 at 06:56. Reason: added a thought

Default own worst enemy

Thanks Uglyed for the update on POW. Glad to hear you and your son in law got to spend time together and successfully found a nice bear to bring home. From the sounds of it you are good humored and look forward to the ribbing you'll get from friends and family. I'm sure you'll spin it well in your favor.
    Interesting that people with guns are the only ones shooting road signs. Sad, isn't it? And hunters can be our own worst enemies as attested to your findings on POW by some residence there. But hunters can also be our best friends by being good ambassadors to all the people they meet. Sounds to me like you may be the latter as you took the time to care enough to write.
    We need more good ambassadors.

That surprises me. I've bear hunted POW twice, the last time being back in '05, and never experienced any problems from the locals. I guess things change though.

I don't think that the locals are too rough on the bear hunters. They give us plenty to laugh about as we've all had some pretty funny encounters with them. They are a different breed of hunter, that is for sure! You can't miss the bear hunters all piled into a rental rig wearing brand new Cabelas gear bailing out of the rig with guns chasing every black stump.

I will say though that I don't don't Sept halibut trips anymore for bear hunters as I was sick to my stomach hearing some of the bear hunting stories they would tell. Not saying all the visiting bear hunters are like this, but a few of the groups I had were not the most ethical hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by uglyed View Post
    I also saw plenty of evidence where hunter sighted their rifle in on road signs and bridge markers.
    you know ive always wondered why people shoot up signs. its just as easy to set up your own target out on a log somewhere if you dont wanna pay range fees. but then again you run the risk of not knowing where your round goes depending on your angle of shot. i think its just stupid to bring down others with you as you tarnish the good name of hunting. gives the antis ground to fight on

And I'll also say that I've ran into some great guys at the launch ramp that I've talked with for over 30 minutes about hunting and fishing. Great guys who were up here doing something they could not do where they were from.

The groups that show up just to kill bears, regardless of size, sex, or method, that give the visiting hunters a bad name.

...and a few car rental companies would not rent vehicles, as one owner told me that bear hunters had put a log through the side of a vehicle.
    Just how many rental car companies do you think there are for POW?

I've been up there four times since 2001, and your finding are true. You can just feel the pressure from locals when it comes to bear hunting. I just tell them I'm fishing now and don't mention the bear hunting.

I can say this, many locals there have sensationalized what actually happens there when it comes to bears, deer, or fish for the matter. I heard so many BS stories this year about guys that had hunted the island in the past it made me sick.

Back in 2001 I didn't feel there was much of a problem, but the last three years have surely been different. Even the guides this year were working with total disrespect for the well being of bears, and other hunters.

I've said it before, i'd like to see them slap a restricion on the island, Maybe even allocate archery only tags but tag reductions need to happen.

[QUOTE=270ti;505647]And I'll also say that I've ran into some great guys at the launch ramp that I've talked with for over 30 minutes about hunting and fishing. Great guys who were up here doing something they could not do where they were from.
    QUOTE]

As you correctly pointed out, these are now the exception....

I also saw plenty of evidence where hunter sighted their rifle in on road signs and bridge markers.
    I wouldn't pin this one entirely on visiting hunters...There aren't many signs along the highway system in AK that don't have holes in them, unfortunately.

Default Hough!

Those sow killers would fit right in with Sarah Palin...Just need to get them on Choppers & finish the rest of the sows off in the state...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    I wouldn't pin this one entirely on visiting hunters...There aren't many signs along the highway system in AK that don't have holes in them, unfortunately.
    You aren't kidding!!! And I thought rural Ohio was bad about that crap!

Brett

Default It was a great hunt!

Although disappointed that uglyed didn't get his second blackie we were thrilled that I got my first. And yes, it was significantly larger than uglyed's taken in 2005. However, as we have all experienced, the hunt is about much more than what's taken but more about the overall experience and mine shared with uglyed in POW was outstanding. As a new hunter, only been hunting since 2007, I am a little disappointed that some hunters are not good stewards of our reputation and that was evident on POW. I echo the thoughts of uglyed relating to our experience with attitudes throughout POW as they relate to our reputation as hunters. I for one will always seek to be responsible when hunting and always mindful that my son, daughter, grandchildren and those who follow me will suffer the consequences of my actions, positive and negative. In closing, thanks uglyed for a great experience and please, don't put much thought into my having taken a blackie that was so overwhelmingly larger than yours, we did it together.