Thread: What's the difference...

Default What's the difference...

between a Short Action & Long Action in a rifle? Am looking for bases for my Rem 700 270 WSM & I am of the belief that it's a short action (per the 270 being a shorter cartridge than say a .30-06)...am I correct in this belief & if not, then how do you tell?

As far as I know your correct.

Ron

Well, you're correct but not for the reason stated.

There are technicaly four different action lengths when speaking of the bolt action rifle. Some makers make only one or two different lengths but there are four and are based on the cal;ibers for which they are made.

Long action refers to those cartridges based on the 30-06 case or magnums of the same length (Appx 2.5" case length). Examples are 30-06, 270 Win., 280 Rem. The 7mm Rem mag and the 338 Win mag. There are others.

Short action, which is really a medium and named as such by some makers, generally for cartridges based on the 308 Win case or magnums of the smae length (Appx 2.0" case length) Examples would be 308 Win, 260 Rem, 300 Sav., and the WSM family, (Winchester Short Magnum) the 300, your 270 WSM and the 325 WSM, as well as certain other older belted magnums such as the 350 Rem mag.

The real Short action made for the 223 family of cartridges but for most makers it is just a short medium length action with the magazine blocked so the 223 fits properly. Remingtons M700 comes in two sizes...30-06 size and 308 size. The 308 size is blocked off in the magazine to take the smaller calibers, (223, 222, 17 Rem, etc). The 30-06 size of Long action is modified to accept the Ultra long magnums of the Remington Ultra Mag family, which technically is the fourth size of action the known as the .....
    Long Magnum action is for the 375 H&H length as well as the Ultra mags and a few other very long older cartridges such as the 404 Jeffery.

CZ makes an action length to fit the 223 family, then an action length for the 30-06 family and a long magnum action for the H&H family they also make an even longer, stronger action for the 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs and others I think they call this the Safari action length.

The older Winchester pre-64 model 70 was only made in one action length. It naturally fit the 30-06 and was modified in various ways to accept all others including the diminutive 22 Hornet and the long 375 H&H magnum, the latter taking different scope mounts because the rear scope mount screws were moved close together because so much of the receiver was cut away for the long cartridge work through the action.

This is probably the longest answer I can give to your simple question but in the Remington M700 the 270 WSM takes Short action scope mounts, but the 270 Winchester is not shorter than the 30-06. The 270 WSM is.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up Thanks Murph...

& GLR...

I knew that the 270 W was a long action, as my friend has one, & I've seen the cartridge, (which is a necked down version of the 30-06 if I am not mistaken)...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Wunnerful, Wunnerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    This is probably the longest answer)
    That's a GREAT answer/summary Murphy.

I needed to know a lot of that stuff, so I Thank You for the information too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That's a GREAT answer/summary Murphy.

I needed to know a lot of that stuff, so I Thank You for the information too.

Smitty of the North

+1 on that. Great info (as always).

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.