Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: full curl ram pics/advise on judging/motivation

Thumbs up full curl ram pics/advise on judging/motivation

Okay folks Iíve got all the gear, desire, and plans for sheep hunting but would like a little perspective. I have seen many videos on sheep hunting and sheep curl judging. I look at taxidermist shops and every store with a sheep and look at every possible angle. Some are obviously monsters and are easy to tell, others that are close to full curl can be quite difficult. Can the folks with pictures and experience post and give full curl advice, beyond fish and game website and basic/obvious full curl. Sometimes I look at sheep and think thereís no way thatís full curl, and then some guy's says its 10 years old and full curl??? I get mixed results when asked to look at mass, i think mass tells a lot but i guess not always accurate. I would like to see as many sheep as possible to get more practice, if you've got a full curl could you post some pics please. It would be great for some full curl/boomed motivation for the rest of us! Thanks fellas!

Default Okay, here ya go, 37.5 inch Ram

Smile Dall Sheep

32 1/2 Double Broomer 12 inch bases
    Attached Images Attached Images

38" - just over full curl

36" - full curl exactly on one side, just under on the other.

Thumbs up

ALRIGHT! Thanks guy's, i think angle has got to be the biggest factor. the 38" looks just plain big no doubt full curl, the 36" looks a little short, and the first one looks short of full curl, but absolutly monster bases. I think the bottome one faces a downward angle that you cant see full curl, or maybe im just sheep retarded which may be the case yet. man it gets me going though, thanks again!

if at any angle the horns make a full circle (not an ellipse) then you have yourself a full curl sheep. So yes angle matters, in my case I would just like to SEE one that is even questionably close to full curl while hunting <grin>

Default Full curl ram

My Brooks Range ram from a few years ago, didn't realize he still had his lamb tips until I walked up on him. 38 1/4" on the curl and 14" bases.
    Attached Images Attached Images

absolutly beutifull, man is it AUG 8th YET? im ready

Default Sheep hunt

Aug. 8th? opening day is the 10th. or are you going in early to set up. What range are you going into? Good luck.

Default sheep pics and dates

I thought that most go in at least on the 8th. Season opens up the 10th that gives plenty of time to get in the country and glass.

This year my buddy and I are going in on the 7th. No, I dont need this much time to get to my area, but figure hell, I have the time to do it, might as well spent the extra time I have a couple days earlier then usual.

Also would like to see when everyone else is planning on going in?

Lets see some more sheep guys!

My hunt starts the 26th and we are headed out to hunt on the 27th and will be in the sheep mountains until the 6th or until we get a sheep, whichever comes first.

Wasn't there a great thread with lots of pics last year. I think a tacked sheep pic only thread would be great.

Default Where

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    38" - just over full curl

36" - full curl exactly on one side, just under on the other.

Where did you take him?
    One shot one kill

Default Photo Gallery

You may want to go through the photo gallery towards the top of the AK hunting forum. There are loads of ram photos and a lot of them have measurements and you can count rings, compare mass, etc.

Default sheep age and judging

The sheep Above was sealed in Fairbanks last season and the Bio aged him between 10- 11 years old, I am not an expert on sheep but the 6th and 7th rings are not even half an inch apart, they say that certain years a sheeps horn may not grow due to their diet or how bad a winter season they have gone through. On this particular ram, he was with a few others and there was another quite longer I'm sure would go 40 inch or longer , but thinner, but the mass on this ram just stood out from the others and when I watched this band I knew I was going to take him no matter how hard I would have to work. do you all think I made a good choice? or should I have taken the longer but thinner horn? I have been waiting for the harvest reports to come out to see if someone had got him, but ADFG has not posted it yet.

I'm going in on 08AUG and packing in till i find my legal ram, hopefully on the 8th or 9th. It's 8 miles in, i wish i could fly and have fresh legs off the plane, but cant happen in my area. There will be people in my area but i will out hike and pack anyone, I will get my sheep if there are sheep to be had and i dont blow it. FInd a way to get above them by 1159 PM on the 9th and sit and wait to kill him first hour of the 10th....the best laid plans of mice and men though, mother nature has the upper hand we'll see if i can get r done. It seems mother nature always makes me work hard at it, she makes me put my time in but in the end its worth it. I'm going to the "north range," its up north

Did you draw a tag? I can't imagine anywhere that you are going to get on a legal sheep within 8 miles of a road. Not saying that it can't happen just that it is extremely rare and for the few that have a honey hole like that, well they aint talkin!

Of the 2 trips I have been planning with a buddy the short one is ~80 miles, the long one has multiple exit routes to vary the distance from 65-130.

Default Hike in

I agree with Lujon, to increase your chances, flying in will be the ticket to get away from others, but you could get lucky.

I've seen legal rams closer than 8 miles from the nearest road, it can be done and has been done. I know of a guy that shot a full curl ram on a highly used trail system and loaded the whole thing in his side by side. It certaihly increases your odds to get further into the mountains but as you can see, sheep can be taken within sight of major raods and trails.

Jon - You're certainly correct that the deeper you go into the mountains the better the odds, but I know of plenty of rams that have been taken within 8 miles of the road. Heck, I know of two that were spotted from the highway late in the season and taken after a two hour climb. To some degree, 5-10 miles is the perfect distance. In some ranges, once you get beyond that distance you start competing with fly-in hunters, but it is far enough to seperate you from most walk-in hunters.

Best of luck to you, doogie. If you have the time, go in for a weekend in July and see what's around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast