Thread: laser range finder under $300?

Default laser range finder under $300?

I am looking for a good laser range finder under $300. I have been looking at leupold and the Bushnell. Just not sure what all I need to be comparing, never looked given them any thought before. Any ideas?

Thanks!

ive heard good things about the nikon laser 800. Can be found at ebay for under 300.00. Ive never been overly impressed with bushnell optics, never have tried theyre rangers though. A guy at sportsmans optics counter said the leupolds have been coming back with probs. Take that with a grain of salt, as sometimes they arent that knowledgable or reliable, but I guess he does maybe keep tabs on returns.

There was a thread about this same topic a little while back on the bowhunting forum, you might check there for more info. I have narrowed my search down to the Nikon and the Bushnell scout pro in the 800 and 1200 yard models. I am actually going down to Cabelas tomorrow to test um out...I will let you know what I think on the other end of the weekend.
    Joshua

Default nikon 800

If you can't find a nikon 800 on ebay, try to come up with a little more cash to get one. I've used my father's and it is worth it. He also has a number of the scopes and we both use their binos too. Clear/bright optics and easy to use. Maybe I'm biased??

BucknRut-Don't get too used to "going down to Cabelas tomorrow to test um out", because you can't do that up here Sure Sportsman's is nice, but I've heard it's nothing like the big Cabelas down there. I need someone to drag me outta Sportsman's when I'm in there. I can't imagine being in the main Cabelas store. I'd try to hide out in a tent over night! And of course I'd be broke at the end of the day too

Thanks for the input, I hadn't even thought of Nikon. I have their binos and spotter so not sure what happened there? Have to start lurking on ebay again. Always been a bit of a Leupold fan been using their scopes for years.

Mod Elan I know what you mean about Cabelas, all my life I had wanted to go in one. Summer of 2005 I was in Texas when they opened the two stores there. I am sure my wife is glad we were only there for a couple of months. We managed to spend more than we should of every time I managed to trick her in to going there.

Default I promised a report

I had the opportunity to compare a ton of stuff at Cabelas this last weekend and Rangefinders were on my list. I was considering the Nikon and the Bushnell in the 800 and 1200 yard range.

My Criteria (in no specific order):
    • Clarity of glass
    • Simplicity of functions and use
    • Weight/size
    • Comfort
    • What my eye is most comfortable with
    My observation and opinions:
    • Nikon’s glass was far superior to Bushnell’s
    • Both were extremely simple to use and functions were fairly simple
    • Bushnell weighed less and was smaller in size, but not that noticeable
    • Bushnell was far more comfortable in my hand and made for easy one-handed use
    • Despite the size and comfort of handling the Bushnell, the eye comfort of the Nikon was more crucial to me
    The Verdict….Hung Jury!

…AND THEN I MADE THE MISTAKE of trying out the Leica Rangemaster 1200!

My observation and opinions:
    • Unbelievable glass!
    • One job, one function…one button!
    • 4.5”x2.3”x1.3”, 7.76oz…fit in my shirt pocket!
    • Easy to steady, easy to operate…like it was made to fit in the palm of my hand!
    • I could look through it for a minute or a day with NO strain to my eye!
    The Verdict…As soon as I justify spending $600, its mine!

Disclaimer: I did checkout the Swaro and it did not compare to the Leica.
    Joshua

Thanks for the comparison Joshua. Guess I am settled on the Nikon 300. Now I just have to convince my wife and mom thats what I want for Christmas.

Talking Bronco.....

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Thanks for the comparison Joshua. Guess I am settled on the Nikon 300. Now I just have to convince my wife and mom thats what I want for Christmas.
    I never have a problem convincing them what I want...it's GETTING that I have the problem with

Good Luck!

SWFA, a good dealer for optics, is selling a new Leica Rangemaster 1200 on E-bay for $460 + $12 shipping. A bit better than $600, eh?

Default .338-06?????

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    SWFA, a good dealer for optics, is selling a new Leica Rangemaster 1200 on E-bay for $460 + $12 shipping. A bit better than $600, eh?
    Was that an auction item or a in-store item. I couldn't find it and it's been a while since you posted, but thought I'd ask.

Default Nikon Monarch 800

I just bought a new one off ebay for 260.00 plus 5.00 for postage. Thats better then the 359.00 you see all over town. Can't wait to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Was that an auction item or a in-store item. I couldn't find it and it's been a while since you posted, but thought I'd ask.
    I thought it was an e-bay store item. SWFA is a big optics dealer out of the second largest state-Texas. They have a website, www.riflescopes.com, if I remember correctly.