Thread: Mono V Braid

Default Mono V Braid

Well three weeks from today I will be sitting around a fire on Clear Creek (Hopefully with a belly full of King). I'm waffling as to spool with braid or a high grade mono/FC. Cost wise it would be much cheaper to run 50 lb P-Line or Triline XT V. 50 lb Power Pro. My gut says Power Pro...but I can be talked out of it.

On a couple of side notes if anyone is around stop by if you see three really big dudes (Ex-college football players) I'm sure I will have a good bottle of scotch, some good stories, and perhaps some homebrew to share.

Also does anyone know if Axel (Kinda crazy German guy) is living in those cabins again this year.

Default didnt like fluorocarbon line

spooled my abu last year with f/c and i didnt like it. lots of birds nests. got suckered at the sportsmans show. gonna try fireline this year and hope for the best... the best line i have had so far was the cheapest eagle claw line on the spool. went a whole season the year before last without a problem.

Personally I usually just stick with quality mono, your best bet for landing fish there is fighting them in the Dolly Hole, if they get in the fast water there most likely gone anyway...I'm sure you know this already but point being is that once you get them towards the slow water a good mono is good enough to get them to the bank in my opinion. I'll keep an eye out for you there, I'll probably be there around the 26th in a black Jetcraft Extreme Shallow.

Edit: oh yeah, if I was a betting man (which I am) I'd say Axel is already there...

Braid is pretty sweet, but if I've learned one very important thing about spooling it new...SOAK THE REEL!! I have been using power pro for a bit now (freshwater fishing only) and Suffix braid also. Both have worked well. Suffix seems more low profile and PowerPro more meaty. There are a lot of goods for using braid...you can get a faster sink rate with braid, it's a crapload stronger at a fraction of the diameter, there is no stretch at all so hooksets are solid, line memory seems less than mono, etc. I usually use a short leader anyways because the water is crystal clear where I'm fishing. The only thing about braid is the sink rate of lures/plastics/etc. Braid sinks a lot faster than mono, so if you are doing a slow dropping presentation, you would need a mono leader to help.

They key to eliminating your birds nests is soaking the reel in water the night before you go out fishing. Just take a bowl or glass of some kind and fill it with tap water, drop your spools in there and go to bed. Grab them in the morning and man will you ever be amazed when you cast. Usually you will only have to do this once.

This trick works very nicely on mono lines also, you will cast a lot farther than you ever have, the line will have virtually no memory, and will spool off extremely smooth. Try it for either type of line, it works great!

I'll have all my reels spooled with braid when I come to AK this summer, with a couple of spools of mono just in case, I don't have gear big enough to hold 30# monofilament lines, but 8lb diameter braid fits easily.

Default Spools

I guess I will just bring a spool for each rod. One with 50lb Power Pro and one with 40lb P Line.

Another thing with braid is to cover your spool with either a layer of mono, or a bit of masking tape. Braid can spin on a spool, causing you to lose fish, tangle etc...

There are some really great braided lines out there now that have been designed to be prefectly round, like mono line. Works well for baitcasting reels.

And yes, the soaking trick works. I've done that and was happy with the results.

Default Braid

I have used braid for years. I have it on all my Great Lakes salmon trolling rods. I always put some 40lb cheap mono for the first 20 yards. I learned the spinning on the reel factor the hard way a couple years ago. I had a king slam a diver one day and the drag clicked a few times then the line just started spooling off....it was a mess.

I am just going to pick up extra spools for my level winds and my spinning reels and call it good.

Default Prefer mono

It kind of depends on what kind of fishing you do;

If you're a flog-the-water in 5 to 15 feet deep near shore (like me) then I'd recommend mono as it has better abrasion resistance and maintains strength even when abraided a bit.

If you're a deep trolling fisherman then braid would be a better bet, braid is a smaller diameter for a given strength and therefore sinks better and has less lateral resistance in the water. However braid will snap if it gets a nick on it much easier than mono.

My lines always get abraded on the rocks when fighting fish and I have terrible luck when trolling (probably doing something wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
    I have used braid for years. I have it on all my Great Lakes salmon trolling rods. I always put some 40lb cheap mono for the first 20 yards. I learned the spinning on the reel factor the hard way a couple years ago. I had a king slam a diver one day and the drag clicked a few times then the line just started spooling off....it was a mess.

I am just going to pick up extra spools for my level winds and my spinning reels and call it good.

Where on the GL's?