Thread: Tohatsu vs E-tec vs your favorite?

Default Tohatsu vs E-tec vs your favorite?

I know this one gets more that its share of forum time but I've searched old posts and would like to hear from those who have been running their 50 hp motors for a while. I've been researching and I like the 2-stroke hole shot, fuel efficiency, and apparent low maintenance so E-tech ($8655 w/jet) or Tohatsu ($7079 w/ jet). Then there is the Yami (popular for a reason?) and Honda's ($8024) reliability. Weights seem pretty comparable.

How about local service centers? Are you happy with the service after purchase? Any warranty work?Looking to run well into the cold of winter so that if you've had cold related problems or lack of I'd like to hear about those as well.

Thanks,
    Matt

I have a freind who is on his third tohatsu. He started out with a 25, 35 then finally settled on the 50. He holds them in very high regard. And I know he is pretty hard on equipment, well maybe not hard but he uses it to its full potential lets say that!

Not sure about any of the other brands two-strokes. I do seem to see E-tecs for sale quite a bit it seems though.

I went with a Honda 4 stroke jet. They are geared different to optimize jet performance and come with a stainless impellar. Their dry weight was the same as the tohatsu. They fit a 20" transom without a riser so that saves you 300.00 right there. 5 year warranty with the honda too. Even though it was a more expensive motor and I dont like the dealership, I think the Honda was the best thing out there for the money.

I didnt get the yamaha mostly cause they didnt have the jet on hand and said it would be 8 weeks out at least. Marita said the same thing about getting the tohatsu converted over.

If your willing to wait a couple of weeks or so, storm chasers in Seward will order you a honda jet for a few hundred cheaper I think.

Any way my thoughts, I spent a good couple of weeks deciding on a 50/35 jet and I think I made the right call.

Those that bought E-tecs in my area are disappointed in them, maintainence free my butt. Tohatsus are proving to be more reliable each year. Hondas are flat out reliable. And Yamahas are all over the place, I'm on my 3rd F115 and put on crazy hours each summer. Have a buddy with a F40 jet and it scoots nicely on a 16ft Lowe and goes anywhere with a 15g tank and still has some to spare.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I've got a 2001 Tohatsu 50 TLDI with pump and prop. Very powerful motor and very fuel efficient with the prop. With the pump on it I have blown 2 $1200 air compressor pumps (TLDI part of the motor) because the oil mixer is a little on the lean side from the factory and with 3 people on my SeaArk you have to be running 5150 RPMs of a 5800 WOT which is hard on a motor of any kind. I run it year round and it is good in the cold as well. The saving grace for me was the long warranty. What ever you end up with your choice ought to consider having a great service dealer who can work the bugs out.

At 5000 rpms you are guzzling down 5 gph. With my prop on my skiff I can have 6 guys and plane out at 3000 rpm so it would make a great Kenai motor.

Default Toahtsu is sounding like a better choice...

Anyone have any problems w their Tohatsu 50? Thanks for all of your opinions and sharing your experiences.
    Matt

Go Suzuki!!! You'll never look back......

Default Suzukis ought to be good they cost a fortune

I've looked into Suzuki's and to put one on the water will be about $10K. for a near 6K 50hp motor + a $950 tiller+ $1900 pump + batt, labor,etc., That just to gets it on the water. I'd have to be making money using it to justify that. Maybe one day I'll be in that class, but for an entry class it seems a little rich. Not one bad word out there about them though, only apparent downfall is price.
    Thanks for your thought.
    Anyone else?
    Matt

Default Yamaha, Suzuki

I own both in a number of HPs. I had Garths Outboard repair clean out the carbs this spring on a 99 F50 tiller. I have done the regular maintenance on a 9.9, 200hp 2 stroke and a couple other 50hp Yamahas that are at least ten years old. I haven't broke down. Service in Soldotna is tough in the spring and summer no matter what motor you have. But you do have a number of people to choose from to work on them. I have a 140hp Suzuki that runs like a top. If you are looking at a Suzuki, give the guys at Peninsula Power Sports a try. Good guys, and probably a lower price.

Default rimfire matt

They are geared different, to optimize the jet?? Tell more about this I have never heard such a thing before?with a jet? With a prop on yes, i can see that in the lower unit.How do they do that in a jet, Do that stainless impeller have a different pitch, is that what there meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    If you are looking at a Suzuki, give the guys at Peninsula Power Sports a try. Good guys, and probably a lower price.
    Second that! I purchased my 225 from them, great guys and great price.

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    They are geared different, to optimize the jet?? Tell more about this I have never heard such a thing before?with a jet? With a prop on yes, i can see that in the lower unit.How do they do that in a jet, Do that stainless impeller have a different pitch, is that what there meaning?

The gearing in the hondas are under the powerhead not in the lower unit. The gears on their factory jet motor are different than if you bought the regular prop model. I even called honda to verify that. They said that is correct.

Some times a brand new Honda breaks down and a good lil Tohatsu will come along and give the ol Honda icon a ride back to town. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=56172

If your still having a tuff time deciding i'd go with which ever you seem to like and hope it is a good one. Just make sure there is a service station around with a good reputation for your motor if you aren't able to fix it yourself. With all the stuff packed in the later model motors that would be a good idea. Hope you good luck on your decision and a enjoyable choice.