Thread: Best bullet for 35 Whelen Moose ?

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default Best bullet for 35 Whelen Moose ?

Hello all,

Last year I shot a 2x2 young bull Moose with a 225 swift a-frame, the muzzle velocity was around 2930, and the bullet performed well.., quite well.

This October I'll be returning to Newfoundland (yaw Hoo !!!).

This time I'm thinking that my Ruger #1 A chambered in 35 Whelen would like to come along.
    I've been slaying eastern whitetails with it using Barnes 225 TSX bullets over a little H 4895 to a muzzle velocity of around 2625.., incredible performance !

I've "heard/read" that the 250gr. cup & core bullets, (specifically "Hornady RN & Speer Hot-Core") are well matched to the velocities of the 35 Whelen. Is THIS true ? Currently I've been loading the Hornady over 58gr. of RL 15, sparked by Federal Gold Metal Magnum primers. I'm getting around 2460fps from my 22" barrel.

I'm looking for the best bullet here for the specific purpose of harvesting Moose. I know that some of you may be conflicted with this topic as I understand (and respect) the fact that many of you must also concern yourselves with the possibility of needing to stop a bear. There are no browns on Newfoundland.

Oh, one more thing. We'll be calling these Moose, so shots could range from just a few feet to as far as I'd care to shoot.

So, the simple question is, "what would be the best expanding AND penatrating bullet to neatly get the job done ?"

thanks for your input,
    Scott

Thumbs up choices....

Due to it's muzzle velocity lots of choices are available. If I owned a .35 Whelen I would have to use 250 grain bullets. I would check to see if Nosler makes their wonderful Partition in that weight. They retain enough weight and penetrate very well. Swift's A-Frame would be great. Speer has a 250 grain Hot Cor that will slay any moose. Hornaday should work fine. You really can't go wrong. Have fun.

Default 35 Whelen bullets

I love my 35 Whelen. I used to shoot Hornady 250 grain spire points in it. After I had one come apart when I shot a small black bear I switched to Nosler Partitions. The exit hole from the Hornady was very big. I bet that I could have stuck my fist in there without touching the sides of the hole. I shot some speers at the range but they were not accurate enough in my gun.
    Aaron

I have the exact same rifle and I use 225gr TSX's with very good results on paper. I havent taken any game with the combo yet but for an out of the box #1 it shoots great. I wound up with X gr's of RL-15, remington brass, federal 210's, bullet seated .030 off the lands- Appx 2725fps depending on outside temp, and shoots right at one inch groups@ 100 yds. I would have no issue using this combo on any game out there including big bears.

If your 225 grn Swift is shooting well right now, why change it ? That will kill any moose and most other things that walk the planet.

I would stick with your current load. If you want to change because you can you should have no problem finding a 250 grn bullet to suit your needs. I know Nosler makes the partition in that weight/caliber.

I shoot 250 gr. Kodiaks in my 35 Whelen, and they definitely do the job on moose. However, they're not widely available outside of Alaska (as far as I am aware). If I was going to change bullets, I would probably go with Swift A-Frames.
    Having said that, if it came right down to it, I'd be completely comfortable with Speer Hot-Cors as well. At Whelen velocities, they would be just fine....and they're considerably cheaper than premium bullets.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Use the Speer 250 & go kill moose have shot 3 big bulls with that bullet & 1 black bear
    only found 1 bullet in moose spine. Really thumps them!

Default speer bullets

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Use the Speer 250 & go kill moose have shot 3 big bulls with that bullet & 1 black bear
    only found 1 bullet in moose spine. Really thumps them!
    KK,
    When you say"...use the speer...", are you refering to the Hot-Core bullet ?
    Fellas, I think I need to clearify something. The swift a-frame bullet that I refered to was fired from a 358 WSM... not my Whelen. I figured that at the greater velocity of the WSM that the swift would be a good performer, and withstand the stress put upon it at impact velocities.

My Whelen is a full 300 fps behind my WSM, and my thinking is that the A-frame might be jacketed a little thick for the slower velocities of the Whelen. I don't know if this is true though.

The Barnes 225 TSX has expanded beautifully at the 35 Whelen velocities on the many eastern whitetails I poked with it... actually, it has really impressed me with incredible consistancy.
    I've always heard great things about the Kodiak bullets in the 35 Whelen, but then there is the availability issue.

The reason that I'm even concidering another bullet (other than the 225 TSX) is because at 2460fps, a 250 gives me just a little more energy. Of course, once that 250 sheds 40%-60% of its weight the TSX starts to look real good.., do you see where I'm struggling here..?
    Perhaps I'm straining at a gnat..?

Default Best caliber for PW Deer

Planning on deer hunting this fall. What kind of shots can you expect? Carrying a 30/30 sounds tempting.

358WSM,

I built a 35 whelen just as you describe, but I sold it. Were you the one that bought it?

Mike
    Nome, Alaska

Default describing "my" Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by C-185 View Post
    358WSM,

I built a 35 whelen just as you describe, but I sold it. Were you the one that bought it?

Mike
    Nome, Alaska
    Mike,
    Sounds like a wise build. Was it a "shooter?"

My 35 Whelen is one of 250 built by Ruger, check out Gun Blast.com under "Ruger 35 Whelen Limited." I think it an easy find if you Google it. It's solid, stainless metal throughout, iron sights, black walnut stock, and a Leupold Ultralight scope. She's becoming my favorite. I'd love to hear about your Whelen build.
    Scott

Default and...

Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    Mike,
    Sounds like a wise build. Was it a "shooter?"

My 35 Whelen is one of 250 built by Ruger, check out Gun Blast.com under "Ruger 35 Whelen Limited." I think it an easy find if you Google it. It's solid, stainless metal throughout, iron sights, black walnut stock, and a Leupold Ultralight scope. She's becoming my favorite. I'd love to hear about your Whelen build.
    Scott
    That's it. But I forgot to mention that the rate of twist is 1 in 12". Nothing like adding some RPMs to a growing mushroom!

250 gr Speer Hot Core Spitzer, they are perfect in the Whelen. My buddy in Whitehorse has shot them for years in. 358 Win, 35 Whelen & 358 Norma.
    Lots of dead moose. Heard some reports on newer Speer 250 gr problems
    but have never experienced that. Shot a 5' 10" Bl Bear last fall through the
    neck & out the heart out of my Whelen Imp. @ 2580 FPS at close range.
    I run them @ 2480 in my Pump Rem 7600 35 Whelen.

Default speer update

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    250 gr Speer Hot Core Spitzer, they are perfect in the Whelen. My buddy in Whitehorse has shot them for years in. 358 Win, 35 Whelen & 358 Norma.
    Lots of dead moose. Heard some reports on newer Speer 250 gr problems
    but have never experienced that. Shot a 5' 10" Bl Bear last fall through the
    neck & out the heart out of my Whelen Imp. @ 2580 FPS at close range.
    I run them @ 2480 in my Pump Rem 7600 35 Whelen.
    KK,
    Thanks for getting back to me on that.
    Scott

Default Anything

Anything thay comes out the end of the barrel is good enough to take a moose!
    One shot one kill

Quote Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
    I love my 35 Whelen. I used to shoot Hornady 250 grain spire points in it. After I had one come apart when I shot a small black bear I switched to Nosler Partitions. The exit hole from the Hornady was very big. I bet that I could have stuck my fist in there without touching the sides of the hole. I shot some speers at the range but they were not accurate enough in my gun.
    Aaron
    As I've stated before....i had a hornady come apart on a game animal too. It was just a young bull moose, the 200 gr. 35 cal. hornady didnt hold up at all. a couple other members on the forum have similiar claims too. lot of meat damage on that moose because of the violent expansion. gonna stick with the tried and true 250 gr. hot-cor. affordable and a reliable reputation.....i real winning combo IMO.

I'm hoping to get my first moose season in this year and I'll be using my 35 Whelen. I'm shooting 225gr Sierra Game Kings and I think they'll do just fine. Does anyone have any experience with these bullets on moose?

[QUOTE=.338 mag.;505258]Due to it's muzzle velocity lots of choices are available. If I owned a .35 Whelen I would have to use 250 grain bullets. I would check to see if Nosler makes their wonderful Partition in that weight. They retain enough weight and penetrate very well.

+ 1 The Nosler partition is the bullet against which all others are measured.

Default +1

250 partition. Opens up fast & easy and penetration..... ya can't stop the dang things!! At least I haven't been able to recover one yet, even after an encounter with a full inch of steel. Looks like you hit that I-beam with a plasma cutter.....

My 225 grn 338's leave a hole in both sides. near side is .338" off side is generally under 1.5" and everything in between is just plain jello..... nothing goes far when they're put in the right place.

No worries about wrecking a shoulder... ALL of my shoulder shots so far have needed a small amount of trimming = to less than 1/2 pound of waste.

There's other d@mn fine bullets out there. I'm just really partial.

Mike