Thread: Inside Passage, 2009

Default Inside Passage, 2009

Well I completed my trip up without any real incidents. I left La Conner WA with two friends on May10th:

and completed the trip to Juneau to meet the ferry on May 24th.

THe trip was pretty uneventful, with the boat being more than capable, and it was nice to have some flexibility where I got fuel since I have over 600 miles of range. Price varied from 1.89 per gallon in La Conner all the way up to about 5.50 per gallon in Canada.

We were too early for Kings, or they were too late, or a combination of the two, but we did get plenty of rockfish, ling and halibut on the trip.

I really liked Baranof Warm Springs as a scenic stop. I think Hole in the Wall on Prince of Wales Island was the neatest anchorage. We took two weeks, but we could have easily done it in 10 days. If I were to do it again, I would cosider doing it a bit later in the summer for the fishing to heat up, but then the tradeoff is that I now have my boat at home here in Anchorage with lots of summer in front of us. I would strongly recommend it to anyone bringing a boat of from Washington.

We shipped the trailer from Bellingham to Juneau for about $2000, and then shipped the boat and trailer together from Juneau to Whittier for about another $2500. There are towing companies in each port which will load and unload your boat or trailer for you. I fortunately had a friend in Juneau that let me use his truck.

Hope to see you all out on the water in Whitter and Seward this summer.

Jim

The forum limited me to four pictures per post, so here are a couple more that I wanted to include. The natural hot spring by the waterfall at Baranof:

and heading out of the hole in the wall anchorage:

Lots of neat waterfalls:

and almost unlimited whales and wildlife:

Jim

Amazing pictures and congratulations on a safe and successful adventure! I'm looking forward to your next chapter of fishing adventures at home. Kudos to you for making the trip! Awesome!

Thanks for sharing, I envy you the trip.

Default Think I saw you

I should have radioed, I think i saw you Thursday May 21 in the icy straights in the afternoon going west towards Elfin Cove. I was coming back from Glacier bay I have a similar boat and had a yellow kayak and a dingy on top. I thought you were the Can Can. Was that you?

Chuck

Looks like you boys had fun! And what a nice looking boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    I should have radioed, I think i saw you Thursday May 21 in the icy straights in the afternoon going west towards Elfin Cove. I was coming back from Glacier bay I have a similar boat and had a yellow kayak and a dingy on top. I thought you were the Can Can. Was that you?

Chuck
    Yes, I would say that was me. Can Can was down by Petersburg. I was text messaging him and he was even so kind as to give me some help in finding fish. Do you have the Seawolf that was in Auk Bay Harbor? One of the other guys that was with me talk to the owner of that boat, but I did not get a chance to meet him.

I really liked the Elfin Cove area both in terms of sightseeing, the town with all the boardwalks and all of the sea life in the area. It was one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Jim

What a trip, Jim! I assume the boat is in Anchorage now? I need to stop by for a tour. Let me know when the time is right.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Great story, thanks for sharing...the pictures are awesome, love the scenery!

sounds like you guys had a great time, thnx for sharing the story and the pics.
    sevenmag

Nice pictures and beautiful boat. Looks like a great time and im sure you'll enjoy her for the rest of the summer.

Default Boats & Elfin Cove

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Yes, I would say that was me. Can Can was down by Petersburg. I was text messaging him and he was even so kind as to give me some help in finding fish. Do you have the Seawolf that was in Auk Bay Harbor? One of the other guys that was with me talk to the owner of that boat, but I did not get a chance to meet him.

I really liked the Elfin Cove area both in terms of sightseeing, the town with all the boardwalks and all of the sea life in the area. It was one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Jim
    I guess I should have said a similar looking boat, mine is a Northwest aluminum craft built in BC.
    Elfin is a neat spot alright, did you tie up on the inside or stay on the outside?

We stayed at the state dock on the outside. We walked around and the docks on the inside portion are pretty neat. Talk about a protected anchorage. The only downer about where we were docked was that there was a big commercial tender next to us that had his generator running all night. I was so tired that it didn't keep me up though.

Jim

That is a great looking boat! I'm jealous. Sure was nice to see some of that great Southeast scenery again. Thanks for sharing.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Great pics! Thanks

in the future I plan to run my boat from Seattle to Whittier. I can't wait

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Awesome photos jrogers - especially liked the waterfall photo. Looked liked something from a waterpark. Where was that taken? Thanks again and glad your trip was successfull.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Awesome photos jrogers - especially liked the waterfall photo. Looked liked something from a waterpark. Where was that taken? Thanks again and glad your trip was successfull.

Bushboy,

It was taken in a channel about 50-75 miles north of the north end of Vancouver Island. It was north of the Vancouver Island, but south of Bella Bella and Shearwater, which you should be able to find in google maps.

Jim