Thread: factory versus custom barrel tolerances

Default factory versus custom barrel tolerances

I have been shooting a factory remington 338 lapua. I just received my custom 338 lapua with brougton barrel. I thought I could use the same load for both rifles but the rounds I have been using in the remington will not fit into the broughton barrel. Will full length resizing fix this or do I need to have separate brass for each rifle? Is there a possibility that my new rifle has an issue? I don't have a FL resizer die or any new brass to try out.

It is not unusual to experience variation in chamber dimensions between rifles using the same cartridge, even from the same manufacturer. I suspect that FL sizing would remedy any issue you might have, but I keep separate lots of brass to be used with each rifle (regardless of caliber). This will save money in the long run as you will not be working the brass as much which should cause you to experience significant improvement in case life.

The throat might be cut to different length and angle as well. Does your partial resized brass chamber in the new barrel without a bullet? Different length throats are not uncommon in calibers like this one.

If you do not want to work the brass that much you should use a different set of dies for each rifle. This allows you to set up each resizing die so it bumps the shoulder just enough to allow the round to chamber. Having a set of dies for each rifle means you do not have to reset them every time you want to resize, small price to pay in my opinion.
    Now, if you are not overly concerned with brass life you can use the same set of fides for different rifles and full length resize each time.

But, you may want to have a smith run a go-no go gauge in the chamber to make sure the chamber was not cut to small (which I doubt). Custom barrels/rifles usually have smaller chambers. Good time to start reloading if you have not yet done so
    Tennessee

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Is it a SAAMI chamber or a custom Tight Neck chamber?

I'd think you would need to know why they didn't fit.

Sizing, OAL, or even a tight necked chamber?

in which case, you're sposed to turn the necks.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.