Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avet sx 5.3:1 reel for halibut?

Default Avet sx 5.3:1 reel for halibut?

Anyone out there using this reel for jigging halibut & lings? I really want to get a smaller lighter set up for fun with the majority of fish I catch under 50lbs. I would also use this mostly in under 150 feet depth.

My concern is the size of the spool to gear ratio. I don't want to be reeling like crazy and gettin no where.

Let me know if you have experience with this or similar sized reels.

Yup... This dude was taken on my "retirement reel" (you know... most companies give a gold watch when you retire... I bought myself a gold reel and lightweight jig rod to have fun with the rockfish I've been catching...

The reel very comfortably holds 320 YARDS of 50# braid, and I just LOVE the ability to keep 6 and 8oz. jigs down even when the current is running a bit... Paired with a Shimano Trevala (30-80) jigging rod, and I'm having a blast. The setup will handle just about anything you come across, and after horsing this 60+ lb. fish to the surface easily, I'd say the rig will handle much more with a bit of finesse.

-Case

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu Rider View Post
    Anyone out there using this reel for jigging halibut & lings? I really want to get a smaller lighter set up for fun with the majority of fish I catch under 50lbs. I would also use this mostly in under 150 feet depth.

My concern is the size of the spool to gear ratio. I don't want to be reeling like crazy and gettin no where.

Let me know if you have experience with this or similar sized reels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have been wondering the same thing about the LX 4.6 From the report you have given on the SX I'm sure it will be just fine. I'll probably pick one up Tuesday morning
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

I personally WOULD NOT OWN A AVET IF YOU GAVE IT TO ME...... I KNOW SOME OF THE GUYS HERE HAD DRAG PROBLEMS......AND NOT JUST IN ALASKA THE LOWER 48 ALSO.......WE HAVE ACCURATES EXTREME 500 THEY HAVE THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE AROUND...
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default Avet Fan

I'm surprised to read about less than happy Avet owners. I've been fishing these reels for years and haven't had a bit of problem. I use the LX 6/3 for 40# and 50# line for tuna plus the 30 and 50 wide models for heavier line. No problems and one of the best "free spooling" reels out there. I'm using older "retired" reels for my halibut fishing but they are all 2 speed reels. Once I tried a 2 speed for fishing heavy weights and bigger baits, I don't think I can go back to a single speed reel. Good luck with your Avet!

Default I agree with JTall & Can Can

I run MXJ's (narrows) on those Trevala F rods 50lb rating, lighter and more responsive than my Lamiglass inshore classics! Spooled 80 lb braid on them reels and never looked back. Can't imagine using heavy tackle again!
    Mike

For the average fisherman they might be okay.........we jig on all of our trips the reels get lots of use...i have spent thousands on gear.....we also have used.... Pro gears, ocea jigger 4000p and three jigging master pe 4 that we are testing....i keep up on all the latest jigging items from over seas....accurate has done all the testing of their reels before sending them out...the new extremes will be very hard to beat.....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by boneyardbaits View Post
    For the average fisherman they might be okay.........we jig on all of our trips the reels get lots of use...i have spent thousands on gear.....we also have used.... Pro gears, ocea jigger 4000p and three jigging master pe 4 that we are testing....i keep up on all the latest jigging items from over seas....accurate has done all the testing of their reels before sending them out...the new extremes will be very hard to beat.....
    There's also a HUGE difference in the class of reel... A guy having good luck with Avet reels at $200-$300 each wouldn't think of using an Okuma or low-end Penn at $80-$150 each; so to say you'll never go back to a $250 Avet reel after using $500-$600 Accurate reels makes a bunch of sense!

Bottom line, the Avets work GREAT for the particular need mentioned in the OP. If you'd care to subsidize my reel collecting and pay $250 of the cost of all 37 of my reels, I'll be happy to take that advice and only use Accurate reels! ;-)

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I charter fished with the Avet Pro 4/0's for a summer and really loved them! Great for everything big fish wise. They were also easy to maintain, any two handed 3 thumbed guy like myself could get inside of them and clean them out....the kicker is do you have the time to do it as a charter capt ....

Default Accurate 270

check out the accurate 270 2-speed... its a *****in little reel and I've seen it horse numerous hundred pounders off the ocean bottom... and very capable of much more. spool it up with some 60# braid with a mono leader and you've got yourself the all-purpose Alaskan fishing reel.

sure, you may be able to buy two Avets for the price of one Accurate but with the Accurrate you'll surely be twice as happy.

Jump on some of the lower 48 die hard forums and you will see what i am talking about........avet problems in huge numbers...... Our clients are mostly all die hardfisherman that pay to enjoy...... If you shop right you can get the accurates for a good deal.....

Wow... is Accurate a sponsor here? This thread was originally about a specific model of Avet reel, and half of the replies (instead of being helpful and actually answering the OP's questions) are Accurate Fan Bois pushing their gear...

Believe me, I've played with just about everything out there. I have just as much fun with an Abu Garcia as I do with an Avet or Accurate... cost does NOT add to the enjoyment of the sport for me. I can see how it would if you're one of the "I have a gold plated reel" crowd and need to show off... Me personally? Nope... I'll catch fish, feed my family and have fun.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No i am not accurate indorsed.....use what ever you want....but when you have a reel that has issues step up to the plate and make it right....okuma had huge issues that there customer service lacked on their responcse and it cost them dearly......

Another good saltwater reel for the $$$$$$$$ is TICA Reels.

I fished accurate last year fishing for a new company. Honestly they are nice.

but they are not easy to clean out, actually I didnt open them up at all so you'd better have more then one!

Second the salmon reels, though smoooth as silk you had no way of knowing how deep you were mooching, for a trolling reel they rocked. Trying to take a non fisher person and explain how deep they were...well became a bit flustering.

The halibut reels worked great, when they worked. They did dirty up much easier then I thought they would. But the boss had plenty so maintenence was not on my shoulders here. I wouldnt buy them due to cost or maintenence after close to 100 days on the ocean with them. Just my opinion, nice for sure, but not for me.

The avet pro 4/0s are just to easy to work on. We did learn to fill them FULL of redgrease! Worked like a champ. The grease avet sends with them doesnt work as well on a regular every day fishing schedule of charter fishing then filling them full of red grease did.

And honestly if I can keep something going as hard as I am on gear, that says a ton in my book. I use it hard, whether guiding or for fun. Very few things get the "Dan tested" stamp of approval LOL! When it does, well I'll buy two or three. It's a shame they discontinued this reel opting to keep the 3/0 and 5/0. You MAY be able to buy the pro 4/0 direct from avet. has been a few years since I've fished them, and out of them all they were by far the best!

Default Avet

My name line reels are Avet 3/0 Pros and I really like them. For back ups I have the older 4/0's. The 3/0 are a nicer reel with the strike setting stop which is nice. I have not had 1 failure with my Avets in 4 years. I also have 6 of the Accurate 655WH which I use for jigging. I like the 4to1 ratio better than the 6to1 on the Accurate. I have had several of the handles on the Accurates go bad to they are not perfect either. The Shimano Tira's are nice reels. I do have a couple of the 5 series Avets and they work ok.

Cpt DD we had the same issues last summer with our accurates! client would be cranking on a flattie and snap....

Smile better choices.....

Most of us "private" anglers catch halibut in the 30 lb. range. So if your not fighting a Cook Inlet tide and are under 150' of water your SX should reel them in. If you fish it hard and max out the drag I suggest you go to a bigger reel. I think the SX and MX series pull the same drag. I have a few AVET reels. For the hard core halibut fishing I think a HX or 2 speed LX is as small as I would go. I have some 2 speed MXJ and MX's I use on lighter jigging rods when I fish out of Seward. I would rather fish jigs any day then bait. I like the trend towards lighter gear.

I like Avets, and I think the SX should be fine for most halibut fishing, but match it with the right rod, and don't expect to horse big fish up off the bottom with the reel alone. I generally prefer my LX models (or even EX 2-speeds for the folks who like to rest on the gunnel and winch em up) for halibut, and the SX for salmon and rockfish, but the SX is a great lightweight choice if you are into the chickens! It's always fun to have a fish start rippin' line, even if it's lighter line on a lighter drag!

Avets are a bit of an enigma to me. Everyone sings their virtues, but if you do any research on their guts and design, they seem to have a lower drag limit than lots of other (cheaper) reels. By "lower drag limit", I mean that as you increase drag pressure, you start to feel cranking resistance sooner than other lever drag and star drag reels. Most lever drag reels generate a side load on the spool bearings that varies with drag setting - once you get up in the drag setting, you'll feel cranking resistance. Amount of resistance depends on the size and design of the spool bearings. Avets' bearings aren't big enough to work spectra to its potential, from what I read. They're WONDERFUL for bluewater fishing with mono, though.

The few Accurates I've seen have drag washers on both sides of the spool - so when you crank down the drag on them, you are squeezing the spool like a brake disk, instead of pushing on one side as with a normal lever drag (Avet). Hence, MUCH larger drag settings are possible with no cranking resistance.

Star drag reels don't have the bearing side load problem. If you don't need two speed retrieve, I see little or no need for a lever drag reel...For spectra-worthy star drag reels, the cheap/strong ones are your Penn 320s (same guts as 330, spool size better suited to spectra, high drag capacity), Daiwa SL-X series, Shimano TLD-Star 15/30 (VERY strong guts), and maybe a few others. Fun thing about the more expensive star drag reels from shimano and daiwa - they use the little instant anti-reverse bearings instead of the noisy clicking dogs, and the bearings don't have as much anti-reverse load capacity as the mechanical dogs. Keep that in mind. Nobody likes a knuckle buster.

Google Alantani and spend some time reading his reel rebuilds. Very enlightening stuff. I've already used up a small tub of drag grease and bought a bunch of carbon fiber replacement drag washers due to him...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast