Thread: Ferry Trail Bridge width?

Default Ferry Trail Bridge width?

Some guys I work with and myself were discussing the width of the Ferry bridge and I am curious, what types of wheelers can get across it. I have heard of guys flattening tires, airing tires way up, swapping tires, just to get across it. We all know that you cant cross on the railroad bridge (Homeland Security issues) so what wheelers with what tires will clear the bridge?

Asked the same question about 2 weeks ago, here's the info.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=54716

Not a lot of info on what will and wont fit across machine wise on that thread, except for the guy with a Griz and Mudlites that said he made it through. Seems like most of the 500cc and up wheelers these days are at least 46" wide , wondering if they can be made to squeeze through.

Neither of my Arctic Cat 500's will make it through with Cat aluminum rims. Stock tires and steel rims will squeeze through if you don't mind scratches, etc. The railroad is not interested in making them wider. We're lucky they let us cross the bridges anymore as it is
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Neither of my Arctic Cat 500's will make it through with Cat aluminum rims. Stock tires and steel rims will squeeze through if you don't mind scratches, etc. The railroad is not interested in making them wider. We're lucky they let us cross the bridges anymore as it is
    Have you tried the ratchet strap trick?

A stock 05 AC 500 will not fit across either. Been there, done that. Our 99 Suzuki 500 will fit.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default ...

101_2501.jpg
    My bow case would not make it straped to the back of my ATV. this is a pic of my friend standing on it so you can see it.

If you do make it across, make sure to say hi to a miner named Curly for me on the other side! :P

its only 24in across looks like no one will make it across this year. At least that would be nice for me

05' 700 King Quad with stock tires made it without ratchet straps, I don't mind scratches.

Default For what it's worth

A friend of mine told me he tried to get across the bridge and he too had
    a machine too wide for the bridge.
    Along came a guy who took off his tires and put on plywood tires he had fixed up. Walla, across the bridge to the other side and put his rubbers (no pun intended) back on!

Question atv trailer

For those opf you crossing and neading a trailer for gear give Dave at Tsag A Long a call 344-8451 he has one just for that bridge and it is quite nice.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Default Bridge

Makes no difference what brand or year of machine it is the basic rule is that anything beyond 46" gets scratched, torn, knocked, or broken off. The railing is about 36" tall and clearance is 46" absolute maximum width. The picture shows it real good for what you have to fit between. My 2005 Suzuki 700 fits using straps to keep the back wheels close together.

Randy

Default Where is this bridge?

For those of us unfamiliar with this bridge, what river does it cross and where?

Brian

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post

LOL i was just through all this with them.. and your correct we are very lucky. as that portion of the bridge is called a trianmans WALK for a reason. it was never designed ot have 1000 lbs of wheeler, gear, rider, etc running back and forth of it.

there is a NEW pipe rail fence up this year to keep them off the tressel.

BTW my Honda 500 does not fit..has ITP 589 on it. which sucks when some one breaks down and i have tow them out to Ferry with it. and have a ~50 mile ride back the other way..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here